Bill Me Later / 90 days to pay scam

I purchased $270. worth of Xmas presents on Amazon on 12/5/2008 At checkout, I was presented an offer of 90 days to pay from Bill Me Later. Being Christmas, I thought this was a good idea and accepted the offer, filling out an online form with all my pertinent info for Bill Me Later. When I did not receive a bill in 30 days, I contacted the company, who informed me that the bill had been sent out, but to an address that I had moved from 4 years prior. When asked why the bill was sent to an old address rather than the address I provided on the online form, they had no answer. They claimed I had applied for credit from them in 2004 and that was the address I used. WHAT??? Regardless, a bill had been rendered and was now late. I asked how could it be late if it was 90 days to pay. They responded they did not know, but would have a special "team" look into it. They corrected the address and said they would resend the bill. When I received the bill I saw that not only was there no 90 days given, I was charged a late fee and interest! I contacted the company again and the rep did adjust the late fee "this one time", but said they could not adjust the interest until the special "team" concluded their investigation. I was to call back a week later. When I did so, I was told that me claim was denied because Bill Me Later claimed IT NEVER HAD A PROMO ON AMAZON! I have several other credit cards, so if it were not for the 90 day promo, I would have used my Discover and at least got cash back. They said there was nothing further they would do. I contacted Amazon and they did verify the promo and did reveal that Bill Me Later and Amazon were no longer business partners as of 12/31/2008.I just wonder how many other Amazon customers were scammed by this offer and then billed interest. I paid off the bill with one payment and am closing my account. I WILL NEVER USE THIS COMPANY AGAIN, THEY ARE DISHONEST AND MISREPRESENTATIVE.

Bs

Comments

• Ng
      9th of Jul, 2009

Thanks for you thoughts as I am also going through a 90dayto pay "was never there" issue through buy.com.

28th of Dec, 2015

Also signed up for Bill Me Later. Supposedly had 90 days to pay. Sent my payment with 10 days to spare. Later received bill for $35 because payment was "LATE." My account statement revealed that payment was not processed until several days after due date. Since I am professional writer, I slew them with my pen; they acquiesced immediately. Moral of the story: Never underestimate the power of a properly formatted and tersely-worded ("just the facts, m'am") business letter sent via the USPS. Don't forget to pay for a return receipt. This becomes a legally-binding document which cannot be very easily dismissed--unlike the "rant-and-rave" emails composed by far too may dissatisfied consumers.