Bestbuy Return Policy / 15% restocking fee from bestbuy

If you purchase something from Wal-Mart, Sears, etc. And you return the item with the receipt, they will give you your money back if you paid cash, or credit your account if paid by plastic.

Well, I purchased a GPS for my car:
a Tom Tom XL.S from

'Best Buy'.

They have a policy that it must

be returned within 14 days for a refund!

So after 4 days I returned it in the original box with all the items in the box, with paper work and cords all wrapped in the plastic. Just as I received it, including the receipt.

I explained to the lady at the return desk I did not like the way it couldn't find store names.

The lady at the refund desk said, there is a 15% restock fee, for items returned. I said no one told me that.
I asked how much would that be. She said it goes by the price of the item.
It will be $45 for you.
I said, all you're going to do is walk over and place it back on the shelf then charge me $45 of my money for restocking? She said that's the store policy.
I said if more people were aware of it they would not buy anything here! If I bought a $2000 computer or TV and returned it I would be charged $300 restock fee? She said yes. 15%.

I said OK, just give me my money minus the restock fee.

She said, since the item is over $200 dollars, she can't give me my money back!

Corporate has to and they will mail you a check in 7 to ten days.! I said 'WHAT?'

It's my money! I paid in cash!
I want to buy a different brand..
Now I have to wait 7 to 10 days.
She said well, our policy is on the back of your receipt.

I said, do you read the front or back of your receipt? She said well, the front! I said so do I. I want to talk to the Manager!

So the manager comes over, I explained everything to him, and he said, well, sir they should have told you about the policy when you got the item. I said, no one has ever told me about the check refund or restock fee when I bought items from computers to TVs from Best Buy. The only thing they ever discussed was the worthless extended warranty program.
He said, well, I can give you corporate phone number.

I called corporate. The guy said, well, I'm not supposed to do this but I can give you a 45 dollar gift card and you can use it at Best Buy.

I told him if I bought something and returned it, you would charge me a restock fee on the item and then send me a check for the remaining 3 dollars.

You can keep your gift card, I'm never shopping in Best Buy ever again, and if I'd been smart, I would have charged the whole thing on my credit card! Then I would have cancelled the transaction.

I would have gotten all my money back including your stupid fees! He didn't say a word!

I informed him that I was going to e-mail my friends and give them a heads-up on the store's policy, as they don't tell you about all the little caveats.

So please pass this on. It may save your friends from having a bad experience of shopping at Best Buy

It's true! Read it for yourself!!

Comments

• Da
      12th of Nov, 2010

Right

• Po
      12th of Nov, 2010

A restock fee often involves repackaging and a lot more than putting it back on the shelf.

You sound like a ### to me. First of all, it is standard practice for companies not to issue out cash refunds of over a certain amount. Why? Because they do not keep that much money in their till at one time. They drop it off in a safe as often as possible. Even if you had used a credit card, visa/mastercard/discover can take up to two weeks to display a credit, even if a company shows it immediately.

Read your entire receipt next time. Best Buy tried to fix the situation, but it's clear you had a temper tantrum and didn't want anything to do with it.

• He
      30th of Mar, 2011

You think thats bad? I agree you should read the policies before purchasing but check this out, did you know that if you purchase a product online for a fully agreed upon price and the merchant ships that product and tacks on COD charges after the fact (with nothing stated at any time prior to purchase or in terms and conditions) and if you refuse delivery of the product because of COD charges that you CANNOT do a chargeback, mastercard will protect the merchant and they can hit you with any amount of restocking fee even though you've never received the product due to the COD charges. Its a great scam they pay for one way delivery and can keep any amount of the transaction they want and they get an unopened product to resell that is not devalued and has never been in a completed transaction.

• Su
      9th of Jun, 2011

Best buy should of tell people at the cashier or have a big sign at the cashier. 15% fee is a lot!!! They are robbing people's hard earn money. Thanks for this post, now I know how best buy is and will becareful next time...