Best Buy / no lemon policy

I buy all of my major electronics at Best Buy, including our first computer in 1995 because of the warranty/no lemon policy. However, I recently learned that the policy may not be worth the paper upon which it is written.

I bought my first digital camera from Best Buy in October 14, 2002 -- a Sony 707, which came highly reccomended by Consumer Reports as well as a professional photographer/friend.

We purchased the camer for $719.99 and the extended Best Buy product service plan for $99. In June 1, 2004, the camera gave an error message and had to go in for repair, which was covered under the warranty. On March 26, 2006, it malfunctioned again and went in for repairs (repair No. 2). On Aug. 15, 2006, the camera went it for its 3rd repair, and we requested an early "no lemon policy" replacement, b/c it was the 2nd repair in six months and we are just two months away from the conclusion of our extended warranty.

The camera came back on 8/24, and the problem remained, although the paperwork said that parts had been replaced in the lens. The camera continued to take blurry pictures over the next couple of days, and so I went to the Ellisville, MO Best Buy story today (where the camera was purchased). I expected them to honor the "no lemon policy" part of the warranty, which states that "If your product requires more than three repairs, Best Buy will provide for a replacement."

Unfortunately, Manager Eric Stephens told me that my first repair wasn't a "qualified" repair because they simply had to download some software to make the camera function properly. So, the fact that the camera wasn't working, had to go into the Best Buy Service Center and receive some kind of software download to make it work properly didn't qualify as a repair. In my book, the camera wasn't working, they fixed it and it did work -- that's a repair.

Anyway, I told Mr. Stephens that my warranty expires in mid-October, and I didn't want the camera repaired again, only to have it fail in November and then I'll be out of luck. He told me he couldn't honor the no lemon policy and that the camera would have to be sent off for another repair. He said I could request an additional extended warranty, and if BEst Buy agreed to that, he would be happy to sell it to me. How kind.

He gave me the 1-888-BESTBUY number to call and explain my dissatisfaction, and I requested to make the call from his store phone so that I had the "experts" available to answer any questions. I spent 40 minutes on the phone, first talking to Brandon, then to Micheal and then to John M, Michael's supervisor. They all told me the same basic thing -- that the service center technicians would have to make a diagnosis of a fourth "qualified" failure in order for me to get a replacement. So, they shipped off my camera today. I hope Best Buy monitors this site and decides to fix this problem for me, so that I can continue to purchase my electronics from them.

Company details:
Best Buy
Address: 15678 Manchester Road
Ellisville Missouri 63011
U.S.A.
Phone Number: [protected]

Va

Comments

• Th
      6th of Apr, 2008

I had read that purchasing the Best Buy extended warranty was not really necessary. If the product you had purchased was going to fail it would most likely do so within the first year when the manufactures warranty was still in effect.

Wrong, the Gateway laptop computer I purchased did fail within 8 months of purchase. However Best Buy continues to have you return the product to their service department where no service is performed. After they are certain that the warranty no longer applies, they tell you to get lost. You did not buy an extended warranty and there is nothing else we are going to do.

What a terrible organization, Best Buy.

• Dr
      20th of Jan, 2009

The lemon policy dictates that it has to be the same problem three times in a row, and from the sounds of it, your camera's first repair was actually just a firmware update. In the future, I'd suggest a few things:

1. Don't follow the advice of Consumer Reports, they're paid for their reviews by the manufacturers, how else could the terrible Olevia brand get such high ratings while one of the top dogs (Samsung) get such low ratings on lcd television sets?

2. Manufacturer's warranty over the over priced Best Buy "warranty"

3. Do your own research online before purchasing a camera, or any high end electronics device for that matter.

• Li
      24th of Dec, 2009

Best Buy doesn't stand behind their products or their warranty. I have found this out the hard way. Bottom Line-DON'T BUY FROM BEST BUY!!