Belk / rude manager

United States, North Carolina Review updated:
Belk - Burlington
I have been treated rudely by the Sales Manager at the Burlington NC Belk the last 3 times I have been in the store. The first time, I was purchasing several suits for my son's wedding. I could not find all of the sizes I needed at one location. The sales person that was assisting me, Will, was very helpful but needed to ask the Sales Manager, Noah, a question. Noah was very rude to this associate in my presence which personally offended me. After all, I was the one who was trying to make the purchase. The next night, I went back to the store with one of my sons to try on a jacket and make sure we were getting the right size. I could not find the size I needed. Noah, the Sales Manager, was close by, so I asked for assistance. He said everything was out and turned to walk away. I was absolutely astounded that he did not offer to help any further. I asked the sales clerk to call him back over and told him that his response to my request was rude and that he should have tried to help me find the right size. His response was that he thought I had looked through all of the jackets. There must be over 100 on the floor. I told him that it was his job to help. He was not the least bit apologetic or helpfu. Additionally, he was dressed in jeans on both occasions, entirely unsuitable for someone in his position.
Today, I went in again. This time to return a blouse that did not fit. It took a few minutes to find another blouse to complete the return. Mine did not have the ticket on it for the bar code. When the transaction was finished, the sales clerk said, "All that for $8.16." I could not believe my ears. Did she make less money because she had to make a return? Isn't it her job to assist the customer? If I were her manager, she would be picking up her pink slip right not!! Of course, Noah was the manager on the floor today, and I knew it would be useless to discuss this with him. After all, she probably learned her rudeness directly from him.
All I can say is that I am through. If I can find the suits I need for the wedding elsewhere, Belk will get every piece of that merchandise back and I will never shop with them again. It is really very sad too. Every sales rep I have encountered in other stores has been exceptionally easy to work with. I don't know why Burlington's staff is so rude, but they are a black spot on the Belk employees everywhere.

A  29th of Jul, 2009 by
As a former Belk employee I am sorry. Unfortunately it does not surprise me in the least. First please don't shop there anymore take your money elsewhere. Did you go to the store manager of the store just to atleast get the last say! They treat everyone rude and are a bad company to work for. I was fired about 2 months ago (after 14 years and no bad anything) for not making my instant credit goal. I would definitely call the store manager and complain...they do listen usually and practically give the store away b/c the customer is always right. Good luck.
N  13th of Apr, 2010 by
The manager should have at least tried to find the item with the ITEM LOCATER feature at the register that no one seems to care about operating. True, they don't back stock and all merchandise is on the floor but when you're going to great lenths, and spending that much for an occasion, the manager should have at least made an effort. He could have found the size you needed at another store and had it shipped to your home.

As for the lady doing the return. Sometimes the system does give us trouble when we dont have a ticket to scan and if you don't have a receipt the register won't return the item at the price you actually paid. It will give you less (which is unfair in my opinion). Then if the refund is cash or gift card there's a screen of required information to collect from the customer before the computer will allow us to proceed (name, address, phone#, drivers lic#, ect..) It sounds from what you described that she may not have told you her wage but rather made a comment of how much trouble we have to put the customer through just to give them a miniscule amount. It's awkward for us to be put in the position of obtaining all that, just as it is for you to have to give it to us.

Also, if the manager was rude and talking down to the staff in front of customers, just think what these employees must have to endure when you're not in the store. Anywhere else, issues with employees are handled in an office with the door shut, very professional. However, many of us are yelled at, talked down to, written up, jobs threatened, and even cussed at All in front of the customers. It's quite humiliating.
N  17th of Apr, 2011 by
Horrible manager here in Mary esther florida, rude, unprofessional and it is just plain sad. Dillard's BLOWS this store out of the water. What a shame.
A  22nd of Sep, 2011 by
A  24th of Sep, 2011 by
Yes that is very true, but they would have to pay us better than minimum wage and spend more on payroll to add more positions. As it now, we are cashiers, stockers, merchandisers, and cleaners.

Belk Logo Belk