Beck's Furniture / Grocery Rebate non-payment
In 11/12/2009 I too purchased over $500 worth of items from Beck's with the promise of $500 in "free" groceries. This was advertised in the weekly advertising we receive here in Citrus Heights, CA.
I was never informed verbally or in writing ("see store for details") of all the extra steps and hurdles I'd have to jump in order to get this $500. I had to:
1. Register online (that was the one thing they did tell me)
2. Mail in a confirmation containing a check for $9.95, (which I was told would be refunded the first month) a copy of my drivers license, and a filled out form.
3. Send in my receipts monthly but a certain date with certain restrictions (like you can't have two receipts from one store on the same day) – original receipts only with the coupons I printed from their website.
4. Spend not just $25 in groceries every month (for 20 months) to be reimbursed $25, but $100 - at least $75 in groceries and the remaining $25 could be "other".
5. Note that if you goof up two times on adhering to all their terms and conditions (and there’s plenty more but I don't want to make this a novel) they'll drop you from the program and you don't get any more rebate checks.
Since I hadn't received any payments after sending in receipts I did some research. The website of the company that ran the rebate program for Beck's is www.ClaimYourVisaCards.com. When I went to the website to check on the status, I got the message "Please be advised that My Free Travel will be unable to honor any rebates redeemed on or after December 1, 2009. etc". I tried to call the company and their phone is disconnected at [protected]. If you check them out on BBB, they are out of business and their rating is now an "F" from all the complaints they have been receiving.
So I called Beck's in Folsom where I purchased the furniture from because they made the promise to me, not this third company, they still owe me the groceries they promised. I was told that, yes the company that was handling the rebates for them is out of business and that they will be refunding the $9.95 fee and offering everyone 20% off a future purchase! I told them this wasn’t acceptable and that I wanted to file a complaint and was given the following email address: email@example.com.
Other websites with complaints that I found:
• http://www.sacbee.com/2009/07/04/1999008/free-gas-grocery-promotion-spurs.html - Apparently they were having problems back in March, so why they offered this in November and December when they were already in the news about it before is just plain stupid.
SO, WHAT CAN WE DO ABOUT IT?
1. Call news 10 to let them know you also are having problems. I already called them and they are interested in running a story on Becks. www.news10.net/
2. Complain to the Becks and let them know that their proposed solution is unacceptable: firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Leave complaints about Becks so others are aware of their fraudulent practices: http://local.yahoo.com/info-21766760-beck-s-furniture-rancho-cordova;_ylt=AtOLrenf55sWkZndWsYobISHNcIF;_ylv=3?csz=Citrus+Heights%2C+CA+95610 is a good place - it's Yahoo! Local where people usually go to look up businesses.
4. Leave a complaint with the Better Business Bureau at www.bbb.org.
Citrus Heights CA