Bank Of The West / Bogus fees

On December 4th I had found that I had been charged $105 in bank fees to my account. I called customer service and they said it was three overdraft charges. My account showed that I was never overdrawn. The CSR said it's because I had a low balance and my available balance fell below zero, although my actual balance never showed below zero. The "available" balance is not recorded, so although I checked my account every day and saw that my balance never did fall below zero, from what I saw my "available" balance never did fall below zero. In order to refute the charges, I would have had to take a picture of my available balance every day, which of course I did not do because I never expected to be charged overdraft fees, because I was never really overdrawn.

I was then charged three fees, rather than just one, because they put through a large item before several small ones.

I know I should not carry such a low balance, but it was due to circumstances beyond my control, along with the holidays coming, I tried to be very careful not to become overdrawn. I had $5 in my account when my direct deposit came in, and yet the bank still charged me overdraft fees. Seems even if a person is careful, making sacrifices so their account is not in the red, the bank still finds a way to get their fees.

This is just one of many problems I've had with this bank in the last few months. I know they will not correct this problem, just as they did not correct the others, so I will be taking my business elsewhere, as will my family members who also bank there.

Do

Comments

• Bu
      5th of Apr, 2011

Bank of the west constantly posts inaccurate, incomplete and even completely nonsensical information online. I had $1, 200 in banking fee's over 9 months at B of W, I switched to Chase and have paid NOTHING over the past seven months. The difference isn't that I was suddenly hit by a bolt of lighting and could suddenly add again, it is that Chase posts accurate information online. It is that simple. I'm sure B of W makes a lot of money posting things in such a crazy manner that people who have daily debits and deposits get completely confused. It's trashy deceptive business. It should be illegal.
    And to Maggie, B of W posts debits, and then removes them and they show up again as much as a couple of weeks later. It makes no sense other than to inspire confusion. Often I would try to balance the information on the page and it was impossible, there was simply incomplete information and the numbers on the page didn't even add up or make sense. Chase has made sense EVERY SINGLE TIME I use the page. No Problem.