Bank Of America / steals consumer's money with &hidden& overdrafts charges

A new policy. A manipulation of your funds.

Bank of America, apparently developed a new policy that will basically steal your money whenever they are short of funds. Complete bogus. Ive had other banking institutions and have friends who are Managers of banks, and have never heard of charging you overdrafts on funds that are pending, only when it is posted.

Heres what was explained to me and my situation.

They are still able to charge you overdraft charges when you swipe your card and you were short of xx amount, before anything was posted.

As to my understanding, when making a deposit $100.00 is available to you right away, even if it was going to take the next day to post. What was I suppose to understand, this was the system that I was used to. Never had an issue with it till now.

March 7th - -

I made a deposit through the ATM at 6:30pm. Yes, I missed the cut off time; but at least I knew I had $100 available to me through my debit card. I believe that those funds are available because it did show on my online banking that I had xx amount plus the $100.00 that was available to me through my deposit. I understand that my deposit wont post till the following Monday night.

Around 9:30pm I checked to see if my funds are available; and my online postings says that I had available funds. I made a purchase through paypal. Small funds, but a fund non the less.

At 10:30pm I went to buy food which costs $4.00 at Mcdonalds.

At 11:45pm I made a transaction for a drink for $13.00.

March 10th - - MEGA OVERCHARGE

Although those 3 charges above are at pending status; at the time of purchase I had the money available. Even on my online postings; there were no such negatives that had ever posted, but in the middle of the charges I was charged $35.00 for 3 transactions.

Theyve explained that the $100/ was only available for cash and not debit card transactions. Because when I had made the transactions, the funds were still pending. However, the charges that I made initially shows that it was in pendingstatus and not a posted status. I was being charge for the pending amounts; yet they were available to hold MY FUNDS AND DEPOSIT during pending, BUT COULD STILL CHARGE OVERDRAFTS FOR THEIR PENDING TRANSACTIONS.

So if you go to a restaurant an you were charged $34 on your debit card, and it was pending for $40.00 that have caused you for overdraft, even though that is not the actual amount that you authorized, you were overdrawn by 3 dollars for the pending; you WILL STILL BE CHARGED.. even if you did your calculations correct. SORRY NEW POLICY'¦ but when it posted, you were actually not overdraft. Oops, banks mistake but you'll be charged anyway because during the "pending" not posting amount was overdrawn. YOU WILL STILL BE CHARGED BECAUSE OF THE PENDING was over the amount.

Usually, in all banking institutions; you are not being charged until the amount is posted to your account without the available funds. However, this was not the case. Pending amounts are at times different when it is being posted. For instances, when buying gas, or at a restaurant; it will always shows as pending because the correct amount will post when they do their nightly postings. Reason for it being under pending.

However during the March 10th postings:

They posted my deposit, and then POSTED my transaction on the same day. Even if my posted deposit went through BEFORE the posted charges; therefore I had my funds there before any of my charges were being posted. Apparently the new policy is that they calculate the time that you made the transactions and then charge you.

For instance. We are use to seeing everything the next morning all together added the deposits and the charges. Now this is how they calculated.

Charges made at 5:24pm.. and you are negative of $3.00'¦ You made a deposit at 5:54pm of $600.00. THAT IS NORMALLY OK, BECAUSE EVERYTHING GETS PROCESSED AT THE SAME TIME, AND USUALLY YOUR DEPOSIT IS THE FIRST TO BE CREDITED. THIS IS NOT THE CASE HOWEVER.

Usually on normal circumstances and normal bankings; all of those we would see it as follows:

Current amount $1.25

Deposit credit: $ 600.00 = total: $601.25

Credit debit amount: $3.00 = total: $ 598.25

Above is normally what I see every night.

Now the new system.. you'll see the above on the same statement plus an overdraft charge of $35.. because you made a transaction 20 mins prior to your deposit.

How ridiculous is that???

Also my situation. Why even bother to let me see my $100.00 credit; when that isn't the case.. when in my 5 years of banking with them.. I had $100.00 available immediately AFTER WHATEVER TIME I MADE THE DEPOSIT. Why are they charging me for money I had in my account?

Does this makes sense to anyone?

Now I would understand that when it was actually posted to the account and my account was in negative status, I would understand my overdraft charges. But because I was actually NEVER overdrawn; how are you going to charge me the XX amounts?

A lot of people are going to close their accounts with them.. and probably open up with their competitors. I am one of them. I would rather invest on something that has the same system as all other bankings. Good going bank of America!

Va

Comments

• Sh
      20th of Mar, 2008

You did clearly state that you made the 3.00 transaction before the deposit of 600.00. This is the issue, before using the checkcard, one has to have the money. You don't want to first use your debit card, and then say "okay, it will just take me ten or twenty minutes to make a deposit." This is a strategy that the individual is trying to use to beat the bank by floating transactions. As soon as the card is swiped, the merchant provides or provided one with a service. swiping the debit card is like promising the merchant the money is in you account. It is like cash. One thing I really find hard to understand is this. Regardless if a transaction is pending or it has posted, it should add up to what you have at the time of the actual transaction(s). Let's say I have 20 dollars, I spent 10.00 at the gas station, and another 8.00 at the grocery store. I am left with 2.00 dollars. I sincerely know I have only 2.00 dollars left. Let's say I do a 5.00 transaction, automatically I spent 3.00 dollars more than what I have. Ten minutes later, I decided to make a 100.00 deposit. That might not help especially if done after the cut off time. I should have done my 100.00 deposit first, wait for the deposit to post and then use the money. I honestly think that you were hoping that your deposit will take care of the transaction becuase you did it on the same day. But like you said your deposit has a cut off, and that is not just BFA. Infact, all banks have a cut off time for deposits and other transactions. I know this for a fact because I bank with two other banks in addition to Bank of America. My humble suggestion to you or any other individul who has a bank account or plans on opening one is this. READ THE BANK DISCLOSURE BEFORE SIGNING IT.
    People do not read the bank disclosures they are signing up for. It is one's responsibility to read those disclosures. Taking 15mins to read them might end up saving one 35.00 dollars or more. Once one signed that disclosure wheather one read it or not, the banks go by the signature on file. So it is difficult to get them(banks). They are required to give a prospective customer a disclosure, if one read it and does not agree, one doesn't have to sign it and an account will not be open. But once it is signed, it means "one read, understood and agreed to all the terms and conditions which are subject to change without any prior notice. "

• Sc
      21st of Mar, 2008

Here's one to top your overdraft issue. On 3/13 I purchased an item on eBay for a total of $20.75. My account balance at the time was $162 and had been since my DDA deposit on 3/7 as there was no other activity on the account. On 3/14 I was charged a $20 overdraft fee for the account activity on 3/13. Since this is a 'play funds account' I did not notice this until yesterday when I received a mailer.

So I contact BOA through their website. I promptly received the following response:

"We understand your concerns about the $20.00 fee that was charged on 3/13/08. After reviewing your account, we have applied a refund in the amount of $20.00 to your account. The funds will be credited to your account within one business day. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Please note that to avoid this fee in the future, we recommend using our Overdraft Protection service. Overdraft Protection is a service to help you prevent returned checks and overdrafts on your checking account. ..."

Now I'm not exactly a genius, but I've never overdrawn this, nor any of my checking accounts in fifteen years. The fact that they offer no explanation for the charge, and then go on to recommend their overdraft protection service set me off. I replied threatening to report this activity to the FTC. If I don't receive an apology pretty damned quick I'm closing the account. Maybe I'm a little paranoid, but this seems a lot like fat-handed marketing tactics.

• Fr
      28th of Apr, 2008

I back in college held an account in a bank acquired by BoA for sev years.I worked at an offcampus bookstore as a second job for about 15 hours a week during the semester so my paychecks didnt accumulate to much. Since it was owned by nonbusiness types (by this time the owner who had bought out all the other partners was a former building contractor) so paychecks came very infrequently but we could write IOUs out of petty cash if we needed funds when the owners werent around to cut a payroll check. Invariablely they wanted to settle the IOUs when I was broke and needed a paycheck-my other job was waiting tables so my main income was variable. Thus I decided to insert personal checks UNSIGNED into the petty chash drawer rather than IOUs. Idoit boss deposited the UNSIGNED checks and the bank cashed them or RATHER bounced em all. All told the NSF fees totaled $600 and this was with 20 or 25 buck NSF fees.

I ended up walking away from the account and given there error in cashing unsigned demand instruments they never bothered trying to collect on it.

30th of Apr, 2008

As a customer also, i just wanted to say that there was a communication sent out to every customer about this 6 months in advance to them actually doing it so reading your statements, even if you get them online, is a huge help and your responsibility. Also, as outlined in the first comment, you are basically trying to do a modern age version of check kiting which is illegal. You are using funds by floating the deposit, that you knew was made after cutoff time, and were not available. Lastly, Wachovia and Washington Mutual follow this same overdraft policy. The bank is keeping up with the rest of the industry and is one of the last major banks to change to this strategy.

• La
      31st of May, 2008

I agree, I have never ever had a problem like this. My husband and I both have debit cards. With two people in two different places at two different times, sometimes you will both make charges to the account. Just like the original complaint there were about 4 items pending. Some from me and some from my husband. I noticed before the 2pm cutoff and put CASH in the bank. The monies avail. should have covered with some to spare once I added the cash. But BOFA deceides they are going to charge an overdraft fee to each pending item. Even thought the pending amounts did not post until the next day. The said that they "paid it". If they paid it why did it still show pending until the next day when my funds had already been placed. So I transferred funds to cover the items that should have been paid with the stupid o/d fees. Just like a rat on a wheel, over a period of 4 days I got charged for more and more overdraft fees because the original one took the money that should have covered the posted transactions. Is it me or does anyone else think this should be illegal!!! There was a restaraunt auth for more than what my bill was and they charged a fee because the auth went over. What idiot at BOFA thought of this bright idea. They cant charge a fee on something that has not posted. Sometimes you get auth for something that you end up changing your mind on and that auth never gets turned into a charge. So we get penalized? $235 dollars over a 4 day period for authorizations is rediculous. I have two children and that money could go to take care of them. Instead it is lining the pockets of some dumb bank exec's. WE NEED TO BEGIN A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT. This is rediculous. We are all going to be constantly charged overdraft fees for authorizations. They do not even give a chance of correcting and accounting for pending charges that have not posted. How many people actually know what lunch or gas charge their spouse is making at the same time...get it together BOFA you have lost a high volume customer!!! I will tell everyone I get the chance to tell about this fraud!!!

14th of Jun, 2008

Heres an simple idea get OD protection...bada bing no more od fees...or yet be like the rest of america who doesnt overdraft their acct.. or be like the rest whom do and go online and spam about how unfair banks are...if you dont like it keep your money under your matteress.. dont use the bank... i hear nothing but whiners all day long at my job ppl who boohoo about overdrafting their accts.. and its always the ppl who dont keep checking acct registers ppl who dont write down any transactions.. hey FYI

Banks are a business too they need to make money like mcdonalds does ...

• Bk
      16th of Jun, 2008

BoA is about the biggest rip off on the planet. I've had them for over ten years and keep asking myself, why? They've ripped me off, they've inconvenienced me, they've cost me time and money and stress. At this point I think the only reason I maintain a single checking account with them is so every couple months when they screw up I can go to my local branch and berate the employees. I thought I saw a barely perceptible cringe from a couple employees last time I went in. They truly hate a customer that reads and is informed about their corporate shenanigans.

• Lo
      1st of Jul, 2008

"Heres an simple idea get OD protection...bada bing no more od fees...or yet be like the rest of america who doesnt overdraft their acct.. or be like the rest whom do and go online and spam about how unfair banks are..."
    Cute, and very helpful suggestions. NOT. You assume it is the poster's fault that BoA charged all of the fees. How about if BoA notifies it's account holders that the rules are changing, BEFORE they change them?
    I was told that deposits don't post until the following business day, even if it's cash, even if it's before cut-off, and even if there was no hold placed on the deposit. However, card purchases and instant checks process immediately.
    Tell me Chris, how fair is that??? How's about you cash your paycheck on Friday, deposit the cash before cut-off on Friday, and then make normal weekend purchases. Betcha you'll end up paying hundreds of dollars in fees like the rest of us BoA customers that do not have a safety net (called a nest egg before inflation changed that). Then lets see how quiet you are.
    Btw, spamming is posting stuff people don't want to see. This is the correct forum for his thread. Your reply was the spam.

9th of Aug, 2008

BANK OF AMERICA SUCKS!!!
    MY HUSBAND AND I ARE MILITARY AND HAD MILITARY CHECKING. I CAN TELL YOU THAT ANY THING THEY CAN CHARGE YOU FOR, THEY WILL!!!
    I deposited $100 to open our account one day. I went to pump gas with my new gas card weeks later with that $100 account. Gas pump put a $75 hold on my account I was unaware of at the time.(I only pumped $34.00 of gas). I went and BOA let me spend $31.00 on Dinner for me and my husband that night. When I checked my account one hour, we were positive $35. Then I check hours later and we are negative 34.00! They let the $62.00 go through then attempted to take it out of our savings (keep the change) which had like 1.00 in it and then they charged us a feefor trying to pull out of savings, then another overdraft fee for overdrafting during the hold for gas...but they waited until we had money in the account and then dropped the fees on us individually after each transaction! What a crock! The money was actually in there and I was unaware of the hold. Isn't that what a HOLD is? Holding your funds anyways? Why did they let me use money that was on "hold"?

My husband and I lost over $800 to overdraft fees in a 3 month period because of stupid small errors. When you live paycheck to paycheck, overdraft fees keep you burried in that hole and you'll NEVER get out!

I joined USAA in November of 2007. To this day I have NEVER overdrafted with them! All of my deposits are "accessable" immediately and if the deposits bounce, there is a one time bounce check fee when it is taken out. It doesn't back date and bounce EVERYTHING individually! I LOVE USAA!!! They are the best! In fact, I have earned over $75 in gift cards from using their check card and running it as credit! It is a free program! You get points just for buying stuff and paying your bills!!!

USAA is in the best interest of the customers! I always have EXCELLENT SERVICE WITH USAA!

I will NEVER in my life open an account with BOA EVER AGAIN!!! They are against you and steal your money! My friend got an account with them because she was with LaSalle and they converted. She lives paycheck to paycheck. Working FT mother with an apartment to pay for and she is ALWAYS in the negative thanks to their endless fees!!! She would switch except USAA is only for military members and fmailies :( Sorry civilians! But is the BEST Bank there is!!!

BANK OF AMERICA...YOU SUCK!!!

• Sm
      20th of Aug, 2008

Re: ATTORNEY ADVERTISING

My name is Sean McGrew, and I’m a Legal Assistant to attorney Dan Bryden, with the law offices of Sprenger + Lang. We are conducting a class action investigation of Bank of America’s alleged practices, including but not limited to “Free Checking” accounts. In the past, persons have posted on this blog regarding their issues with Bank of America. If you would be interested in communicating with a law firm regarding this matter, please contact me at smcgrew@sprengerlang.com. Thank you.

26th of Aug, 2008

How about this one...

An account has $150 available for spending.
    A purchase is made at an online website for $89. At the time of purchase, the website puts in an initial authorization of $90 to my account.
    A couple of days later, the website then puts in the correct charge of $89 as an actual charge to the account.

Shows a pending amount of $ -29.00.

At this point, both items show up in the PENDING list of my account. However, Bank of America, with their amazing "Overdraft Protection program", believe that my account "might" become negative during posting later that night, so they move $100 from Savings->Checkings and charge me $10.00 fee for "helping" me out.

However, neither item posts that night, they both remain in the Pending section and are still there today.

I've talked to BoA Representative and there's no luck. They state that their Overdraft Protection Program MUST act upon the pending items, in order to protect your account from "possible" overdraft... even if that item NEVER posts, and NEVER causes the account to actually be overdraft.

I've talked to the website, and they've guaranteed that the Authorization should be removed today, at which time my account will no longer show this item. I plan on calling back into BoA at that time and fighting with them about the $100 "protection", stating that it was never required for them to protect me, and that I should not have to pay $10 for a service that they never needed to perform on my account.

4th of Sep, 2008

SOME ONE! PLEASE HELP!

Same thing happened to me!
    BOTTOM LINE IS!
    We don't read the countless JUNKMAIL they send us in the mail, so we only read whats labeled important!

2nd!
    All these new transaction rules, SHOULD HAVE BEEN POSTED on the transaction section itself! because, we expect that sorta thing, from a "reputable bank" that parades a image of security and "good banking"
    I ASKED THE BANK CLERK! AS I LOOKED AT HIS COMPUTER MONITOR WITH HIDDEN CHARGES section, WHY WE DON'T SEE THAT!?? THE IDIOT REPLIED, "I don't know why we don't offer you that" **because your establishment wants to STEAL MY money, STUPID!"I wish I said that ><

What can be done!??

11th of Sep, 2008

I was screwed out of $210 in two days just the same way. I was given the "hidden transactions" BS. The clerk said that they were hidden for "security" purposes?!?

WE NEED TO START A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT. WE NEED TO PULL TOGETHER & FIGHT AGAINST THESE INSTITUTIONS THAT ARE BLATANTLY STEALING FROM THEIR CUSTOMERS (OR, FORMER CUSTOMERS). NO ONE ELSE IS GOING TO HELP US.

26th of Sep, 2008

Read what happend to me here, www.nerdsociety.com
    Bank of America *^$%ed! me good. how can we make this anymore public and why haven't the news agencies stepped in??

• Mu
      13th of Nov, 2008

I AM WELL AWARE THAT WE SHOULD ALL BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN WE ARE WORKING WITH OUR BANK ACCOUNTS, BUT DOESN'T ANYONE THINK THE POLICY ABOUT POSTING THE LARGEST AMOUNT FIRST SHOULD SET OFF SOME ALARMS? THIS MEANS THAT IF YOU HAVE MONEY IN THE BANK FOR ALL YOUR TRANSACTIONS (EVEN THE PENDING ONES), AND THEN YOU WRITE A CHECK FOR AN AMOUNT THAT IS MORE THAN ONE OF YOUR SMALLER PENDING ONES AFTER YOU HAVE MADE A DEPOSIT THAT SHOWS ONLINE BUT IS TECHNICALLY NOT THERE UNTIL THE NEXT POSTING DAY, THEY WILL SEND THAT HIGHER CHECK AMOUNT THROUGH BECAUSE THEY KNOW IT WILL CAUSE AN OVERDRAFT. THAT WAY THEY GET TO CHARGE AN OVERDRAFT FOR NOT JUST ONE CHECK THAT WAS WRITTEN, BUT FOR 5 SMALL PENDING TRANSACTIONS. I SPOKE TO SOMEONE ABOUT THIS JUST YESTERDAY AND SHE HER RESPONSE TO ME WAS THAT THE MERCHANT'S AUTHORIZATION CAN TAKE UP TO 3 DAYS BUT BOA CAN STILL SEND THE PENDING TRANSACTION THROUGH FOR AN OVERDRAFT AMOUNT. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME HOW ANYONE WHO DOES NOT HAVE THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS IN THE BANK AND PUTS IN EXACTLY HOW MUCH HE/SHE NEEDS TO KEEP THOSE OVERDRAFT FEES FROM OCCURRING IS SUPPOSED TO KNOW JUST WHAT TRANSACTIONS ARE GOING THROUGH AND WHEN. FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT ARE BERATING OTHERS FOR OVERDRAWING ACCOUNTS NEED TO GET ON YOUR KNEES AND THANK GOD THAT YOU ARE SO FORTUNATE BECAUSE I WILL TELL YOU THAT YOU ARE IN THE MINORITY NOT THE MAJORITY IN THIS SITUATION. I HAD BEEN A MEMBER OF A DIFFERENT BANK THAT I LOVED BUT I MOVED AND DECIDED TO GO WITH BOA. I REALLY REGRET DOING THAT BECAUSE I HAVE TO SAY BOA REALLY DOES HAVE A SOME SORT OF SCAM GOING ON. THE SAD REALITY IS THAT WE ARE PROBABLY HEADING INTO A TIME WHEN THIS SORT OF PRACTICE WILL BE THE NORM, AND I WILL GUARANTEE THAT THOSE OF YOU THAT SEEM TO HAVE ALL THE ANSWERS REGARDING "KEEPING YOUR RECORDS STRAIGHT" WILL BE IN THE EXACT SAME BOAT THE REST OF US LIVE IN FROM DAY TO DAY. GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

• Ca
      25th of Nov, 2008

I made a mistake with my checking account and creating an overdraft issue. (My fault) I immediately transfered $ to the account and called the bank that evening. The representative I spoke with was able to credit my overdraft fees since this was my first time & I am a long time customer. Then, I receive a notice in the mail of 2 $35 fees. I called the 800# with my intention of having the fee adjusted from $35 to $25 since it was my fault that this happened. To no avail... I pretty much got the agreement re- read to me numerous times. I was NOT asking for the $70 to be credited - just adjusted to $50. Would that have been fair? The answer I received was that they are not going to adjust it.

For a lousy $20 Bank of America is willing to lose a long term customer with 6 accounts & a visa card. For anyone interested - the CEO name and mailing address is as follows:

Bank Of America
    Attn: Ken Lewis
    PO Box 25118
    Tampa, FL 33422

I wonder if he will still get his 'financial package' if the bank fails like all the rest of the millionaires. I am just a working Mother trying to watch every penny. This large institutions do not care about the 'little people'

• Ge
      19th of Dec, 2008

Wow, I didn't realize B of A was so bad. No wonder all the branches looked deserted. I've had an account for many years but didn't realize they were so unethical until I got ripped off...

• Bo
      2nd of Feb, 2009

We know the problems with Bank of America. Now it is time for solutions.

There is, in fact, one highly effective way to PINCH THE HEAD OFF BOA once and for all:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For all of us who are sick of Bank of America's fraudulent practices:

Step One:
    Apply for a job via their website or local branch. Of course they will turn you down (especially if you are white or male or over 40 or straight or a non-drug user). Of course, your application will end up in the batch where they will discover that you do not meet their "profile" of a ghetto employee.

Step Two:
    Make sure they send you a denial letter and don't just ignore you.

Step Three
    Once they turn you down, lodge a complaint against them at your local EEOC office.

Step Four
    BOA cannot evade and also employees cannot lie to a federal investigator. (It is a crime to lie to a federal investigator.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I mean good grief, they want to grab all our money, but yet so many people cannot find jobs these days. It's not like they would hire any of these people they rip off.

Let's all send off an avalanche of EEOC complaints (instead of a class action suit.) BOA can fight class action lawsuits with their armies of lawyers. BUT instead of evading, they HAVE TO answer to the EEOC. BOA would have a certain amount of time to respond. (The EEOC is the most mortal enemy that any business can have.)

Many of victims should consider this. The very people who cannot get jobs or pay their bills are the ones that BOA rips off the worst.

Think about it, they want your money and proceeds from fees but yet they won't hire you? It's time to put Bank of America (a con-job name for Ghetto Bank International) out of business FOR GOOD.

• Rh
      9th of Jun, 2009

I have been charged NSF fees by Bank of America when my daily balance has never fallen under $1200.00. They never show me going into the negative online either. I have uncovered their deceptive trade practices and am preparing a Civil law Suit against them!!!

• Ha
      17th of Jun, 2009

If you were to use cash to make your purchases would you have had enough money to cover everything? NO. If you don't have the funds to cover your purchase no matter if the status is pending or not, you SHOULD be charged an overdraft fee. A bank account is not a revolving door and is not there so you can test the limits and see just how much you can get away with. If you don't have the money in your account, DON'T SPEND ANY. It is that simple. Maybe you should take some responsibility for your own actions and quit blaming everyone else.