Bank Of America / obstruction and delays to getting my savings out

1 United States

On February 13, 2010 I wanted to make an online electronic funds transfer from my BoA Growth Money Market Savings to my home town bank checking account. Although this feature had long been established and was last used in August, 2009, my bank account was no longer shown an an option. I was told by phone that when an account is not used for a long time it gets "locked" but that I could call a specialist to unlock it. As the account earnings had dropped to 1/4% and electronic funds transfers, normally free, now cost $3 with Bank of America, I told them to close my account. Two weeks later I called again and was told it would take another two weeks to "process" the closing of my account. Finally I requested to talk to a superior and got my home town checking account listed again but -- before I could take my money out I would have to wait 2 weeks to receive a little plastic card costing $19.95, on which they could transmit an authorization code which I then have to enter online, to transfer my funds. This is another safety feature, to make my money secure. (If I had a cell phone with text messenging capability, this card would not be necessary.) So this saga of my trying to withdraw my own funds is continuing.