Banfield Wellness Plan / do not sign up for this plan!

CA, United States Review updated:
Do NOT sign up for the Banfield wellness plan. You get "trapped" in this plan and they make it difficult for you to terminate your membership. Both my husband and I were laid off from our jobs and we can no longer afford extra expenses such as this plan. We are forced to keep paying it until the contract is up. It was a mistake to sign up for this for as long as we have. I totally regret being sucked into it nd their customer service is completely unhelpful.
Ca

Comments

Oo
  5th of Jun, 2009
My dog has passed away a month after i signed up for the plan. They also made us continue to pay. I hate that place
De
  22nd of Jun, 2009
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
If neither of you lost your job or the replier didn't loose a pet you'd all be extremely happy with the plan. So, rather than an absolute of warning people not to sign up - people should consider the commitment and the responsibilities which come with it. Of course, I think if a pet dies they should let you terminate the plan. I would bet the reason they don't is to prevent dishonest people from using that excuse to get out of their obligations. They should require some proof and let you out if your pet has died.
Ok
  15th of Feb, 2010
My pet didn't die and I didn't lose my job but Banfields inflates their prices so they 'appear' to give you a discount because you are on their wellness plan. I have checked with other vets to verify this happens. Their prices are out of line with others in the same business.

The bill I got for neutering my dog was $987. With the wellness plan I only had to pay $309. What a great deal except another vet would have done it for $250 and I didn't have a wellness plan with him.
Nj
  11th of Mar, 2010
I mean, the point of a WELLNESS plan is to keep them well. My cat died, I had to pay loads of money for x-rays and other tests - THAT WERE NOT COVERED by the wellness plan. I call to terminate it, and I thought everything was fine. It's 4 months later and I just got called saying I owe $250. I literally CAN NOT pay for that right now, and it doesn't seem to save you as much money as they try to say it does. You end up paying for every penny you "saved" in the end- AND MORE SO if your pet dies. The vet was good, but this sucky wellness plan didn't save me, and more than likely won't save anyone else, one cent.
Yo
  4th of Mar, 2011
The Wellness Plan is a joke! The service is subpar! The staff is rude! The access to care is usually unavailable or hard to get! It's nothing like the promises that are made, it's more like a bait and switch once you've signed up!
Yo
  4th of Mar, 2011
The Wellness Plan is a joke! The services are subpar! The staff is rude! The rooms are nasty! It's nothing like the promises that are made, it'smore like a bait and switch once you've signed up!
Pa
  26th of May, 2011
They mislead you when you sign up that it's like insurance that covers your pet as long as you pay the premiums. We knew the prices for services were inflated in order to make you think you're saving thousands of dollars, which you're not; and many services are not covered in full (like urinaysis at 100 bucks a pop).

But when your pet passes away is when you discover that it's really an "installment payment plan" and that you've agreed to pay for a year. We were six months into it when our dog had to be put to sleep, and they wouldn't cancel the plan because they said it would take three more months to "pay back the local hospital" for the services he already received. Excuse me, but I just shelled out close to 500 bucks for those services they're claiming the hospital didn't get paid for. So I end up paying Banfield the difference between their inflated prices and my hefty portion I've already paid. So the plan saved me nothing. And I will have to keep paying the plan for three months on a dead dog and then as a "courtesy" they'll "waive" the last three months. They can only "Set it not to renew" and can't cancel it. This is a rip off and there's nothing you can do because they have your bank account number.

DO NOT SIGN UP FOR THIS PLAN, and do not use Banfield for your care. Seek out a local vet who charges fair prices instead. I am canceling my other dog's plan at the next renewal, since they will not allow me to cancel it now.
Ab
  10th of Nov, 2012
I am a 74 year old widow and living on Social Security and do not enjoy being ripped off. I tried to cancel my contract with Banfield Pet Hospital due to poor quality of service. After calling the main office, they told me they would look into it and get back to me, they never did. In the meantime I cancelled my auto pay payments from my credit card...they turned me over to collections and I received 30 calls, which I did not answer. Now they are sending me letters threatening me with ICS Collections and additional collection fees. What can be done about Banfield?
Th
  17th of Nov, 2012
CA push you around if they sniff you don't know your rights. So before you engage them to make any arrangement Google these and become an informed consumer.
1-what to do when you are contacted by a collections agency.
2-your rights under federal laws FDCPA and FCRA
3-Validation of debt (VOD), cease and desist (C&D), CMRRR
4-Your state's Statute of Limitations (SOL) on debt.
5-post your questions at debtorboards dot com if things get thick

-Never ever accept/agree/acknowledge you owe/own a debt. Demand a VOD. Use CMRRR (you can call but not recommended. Be sure to record the call)
-VOD must be the original document with your signature on it, not a letterhead stating some amounts owed.
-NEVER EVER confirm your your personal info. Tell them to mail whatever to the address on file.
-If your state's SOL is expired the debt is noncollectable, period!
-if you legitimately owe a debt don't pay anything without a settlement offer letter.
-mail checks, no electronic access to your bank ac. you will be cleaned out.

TOO MANY CALLS, CALLS TO FRIENDS, WORK ETC
-Send a C&D by CMRRR stating when, frequency and how they will contact you.
-If you talk to a CA ALWAYS write down immediately, who called, where from, said what, why, when, what, i.e. everything. This is acceptable evidence in court.
-If CA violate your rights each infraction is worth $1000 to you. Thus, use CMRRR and/or record all calls ->evidence is $$$ for you. No lawyer?, sue pro se, see #5 above
Wo
  13th of Aug, 2014
I actually like my team at Banfield here in San Marcos, CA. I also have a Wellness Plan. I know not every Banfield is run like the one I go to but here they are very nice and we've never had trouble getting our Dobie in to see the vet. If no appointments are available, they offer a drop off service. As for the wellness plans, at first I figured we didn't need it but when we started bringing my dog in a lot more due to allergies, I realized that it could save us some money on his medications.

About a month ago, we were in for our free comprehensive exams and were alerted that our dog had a grown on his chest. They took a sample and tested it (cost us about $45) and we found out that is was a mass cell tumor. They got us in 3 days later to remove it. We did have to pay $150 something to have the whole thing sent in the test the grade and edges but we found out our dog is now cancer free. Without the plan, we wouldn't have known about the tumor until it was much bigger because it started out looking like a sore he gets from licking when his allergies flare up.

We've had this plan for a couple of years now and have never had a problem. There are 5 plans so some cover more than others. They made that clear to us when we voiced all of our concerns. As for them jacking up the price...I really don't know. All I know is that the vet we had before we started at Banfield charged about the same: $40 for office visits, $40 more dollars for a "complete physical exam" where he just ran his hands along our dog and looked into his ears. We never needed surgery there so I can't speak on that expense. We ended up trying Banfield because this vet scolded us because we didn't feed him Prescription Diet or Blue Wilderness...Kept saying we eat well why not feed him well. I mean I wish I could afford that food for him but dang! It's expensive! For a large bag and he'd burn through that in 2 weeks. With Banfield, he is now a healthy 75lbs, cancer free, and managing his allergies. In the end, it didn't really matter to us if the prices were jacked up to prove we were saving money, I'd pay more for the better care I get at our Banfield and for the Vets here that take their time discussing our care options, answering my questions and genuinely care about my dogs well being.

I just suggest, asking questions, make sure you are clear on all the ins and outs of the plans and decide on whether or not that commitment is for you. For our family it is great. I love walking out of Banfield after my dog had a dental treatment and only paying $12 for the extra nail grinding we added to it. Or knowing for a fact where my dog's health is every six months after blood work and urine testing.
Ma
  5th of Jul, 2016
Wow, what a rip off. We have been paying this insurance for over 14 years. Our 15 year old dog Pepper just passed and I called to cancel my policy. They tell me that they are not an "insurance Plan", they are a wellness plan. I am required to continue to pay my monthly premium until the plan expires in December. What? When a human passes, premiums are discontinued immediately. Want to let people to read their offer with an attorney before purchasing the "Banfield Wellness Plan". Not only am I trying to deal with the loss of our Pepper, but have to pay them $429.50. Very sad!!!

Banfield Pet Hospital Logo Banfield Pet Hospital