Banfield Pet Hospital Logo

Banfield Pet Hospital

Having problems with Banfield Pet Hospital?

+1 866 894 7927 (Corporate Headquarters)
+1 877 500 2288 (Hospital Experience Feedback)
+1 866 277 7387 (Enrollments and Information)
+1 866 935 5738 (Billing or Payment Information)
+1 888 649 2716 (Questions and Plan Cancellation)
+1 877 656 7146 (Website Questions and Comments)
18101 SE 6th Way
Vancouver, Washington

Complaints & Reviews

don't deal with them

A friend took her cat to Banfield because her mouth was drooling and she was chewing at her body. She was put to sleep and given a bath, cut her nails (missed a nail) and they checked her teeth. She was given some First Shield to put on the cat. Nothing was said about the drooling. A week later she was taken to another vet and come to find out the cat's toungue had been cut by something that had been around it. Banfield should have caught this when they checked her over. Won't go back to them.

egregious veterinary malpractice

Bob hall July 2005 – may 1, 2010 Cared for on april 30, 2010 by: 10:30 am – 6:00 pm: banfield...

Resolved feeling ripped off-dont trust my pets care to banfield

After the experiences I have had with Banfield. The ladies at the front desk are very nice and helpful but I...

proscribes defective medication that lacks expiration dates

Banfield Pet Hospital is proscribing medications that lack an Expiration Date. The product sold had no potency or effectiveness - was a Fish Oil Vitamin that contains NO fish, just oil ($26).

I returned the product, and the second batch WAS the same thing - just Oil. What make's it so bad - THEY JUST DON'T CARE. My experience was with the Roseville, MI Banfield, but the Corporate office is also indifferent and hostile to Customer Issues. DON'T TAKE YOUR PET TO THESE PEOPLE.

• insideman May 22, 2010

What did you expect from a supplement? Why don't you just go to Wal-Mart and buy some fish sticks for your dog.

misdiagnosed problem and ripped me off

I took my new puppy to Banfield Pet Hospital in Columbia, Maryland for diahrrea. The vet told me he had Giardia, and put him and my other puppy on Panacur for 5 days. He told me to bring the puppy back in 3 days for a recheck. The girl in the front office told me it would cost $32.95, and it would be covered under todays visit. When I came back 3 days later, the same vet kept trying to get me to sign up for the wellness plan, before he even checked the puppy. I asked him why he didn't tell me about the plan before I spent $410.69 on the first visit. He said it was because the puppy was sick. He then told me the puppy was fine, and charged me another $67.11. (Evidently, the girl behind the desk was wrong when she told me that the visit was covered.) The puppy continued to have diahrrea, so I took him to another local vet. This vet diagnosed the problem correctly, and told me that a Giardia test is totally useless. The puppy had Coccidia, and was well within 5 days after being on Albon and Metronidazole tablets. They only charged me $131.42, and fixed the problem the first time. I am still receiving calls from Banfield at home, trying to get me to sign up for the wellness plan. NEVER in a million years!!!

Resolved wellness plan warning

Please, please - before you sign up for any of Banfield's pet wellness programs that allows them to bill...

Resolved deceived

I took my new pet to the veterinary in December 2008 to get it vaccinated. I was offered an insurance membership with the understanding that it could be canceled. I called in August 2009 to cancel the membership, I was informed by a rude lady that I could not cancel the membership that I had to pay for a ful year. After a long discussion, I asked her to cancel it in December. I forgot to call in December and there is an automatic withdraw from my account so I did not really noticed it. I called today to cancel the membership and I was told once again by a staff name Lili Flores so she said, that I could not cancel my membership and that I had to wait til December to cancel. She stated that I took my dog to the vetlas month and that the visit was $330. The visit was a well check up visit. Human well check ups are about $75. I feel trap. I told Lili that I do not longer have the dog and that I had paid enough money. I have taken the dog to the vet in the 2 years I had him about 3 times. I feel this company and system is a rip off. I want to get out of this memebership. The vets in Grand Junction should not recommend this insurance to their customers.

Resolved malpractice/maltreatment

Banfield seems like they offer a great deal of a wellness plan, especially when you have more than one pet...

Resolved horrible service

I have been whit Banfield for over 3 years, I have a small dog and every time I take her there I have to wait at least 1 hour or more is horrible, they always tell me she is really healthy but they find some new procedure they need to do everytime and I ended of paying some money so what my insurance cover?…. And the other day I took her and they told me I had to drop her off cause they didnt have a Vet available at the time, so I leave her ther at 8am and at 1pm I called them and they said they were busy but they will start whit her as soon as they could…. what???…. they are so unprofesional…. unvelibable

vettechinheart May 10, 2010

ok...so your complaint failed miserably, first of all, the wp is not insurance...it is preventative care, it doesn't cover "sick services" for ill pets, it only covers services for healthy pets...this is why it is called..."PREVENTATIVE CARE" not "INSURANCE PLAN" secondly, if they are recommending services to your pet, its because your pet needs them, it is up to you whether you get them or not, dont throw a hissy, the magic word is "no thankyou" And thirdly, the drop off situation is what makes banfield very unique, for one thing, the doctor usually doesn't arrive until 9am, so if you were there at 8am for your pet to be seen, then yes, there wasn't a vet avaliable obviously, but...for your added convenience, banfield allows you to drop off your pet. furthermore, when the doc does arrive, she/he is usually in surgery until 12 (which leaves no time to see dropped off pets) then when 12 does roll around...he/she might have 20+ pets to look at including yours, would you rather her rush through all the pets and give them a half [censor] examination? Doctors are busy too, busy trying to take care of your pet, so take a chillax pill and take a seat and remember, if you cant pay the vet, dont get the pet

Resolved veterinarian malpractice/lack of knowledge

This is an unfortunate complaint. I had a 4 year old Miniature Pincher - who I took to Banfield starting 4/2...

Resolved extreme overcharge for broken toe

My daughter's dog was limping on a Saturday, so we took him to Banfield to assess the problem. After 5 x-rays, they determined he had a broken toe and splinted and wrapped it. The bill?: $696.00!!! What for? Office charge, medication, hopsital fee, wrapping materials, everyone who breezed by the room while it was happening ($43 each, about 10 of those, not kidding). It would have been more had the vet foregone charging for two of the x-rays and my daughter opted not to have blood work done to make sure the medications wouldn't cause liver damage!! After three days, the splint was out of position and we took him to our regular vet who stated that the splint was the wrong size, wrapping was done wrong, and the charge?: $50.00 Banfield is not only incompetent, but unethical, and frankly on the edge of immoral in how they treat customers. From what I can tell, the ONLY thing they are truly interested in is $$$$.

jon claude Aug 29, 2010

well of course the second vet was less expensive cause they didn't do the radiographs or bloodwork. and medication and a hospital visit ain't cheap. go break your toe and go to the hospital and see how big your bill is.

Resolved our black lab puppy died in the hands of a banfield vet!

Our puppy (1 year and 4 months) had been a patient of banfield for the last year and we were on the wellness program. We had been very happy up until now. Our puppy was fixed at banfield and then a year later was suffering some stomach problems. I took her severa; times for stomach issues, vomitting, etc. They gave her medicine to take, gave her iv solution for two days and hand fed her for a day and took numerous x-rays (gas was what they saw on the x-rays. Then gave her the barium to see where the blockage was... Found that it didn't go far, so had to do xploratory surgery. Once they got it they called and told us what they found and they were not able to do antyhing at this point, becasue the doc did not feel comfortable doing this intricate of a surgery, but they could sew her back up and we could then transport her to a hopital and surgeon 2 hours away who may be aboe to help her (already costed $3, 000.00) to this point. We did not choose to transport her, what if she would die on the way? So.. they could not do not anything else at this point, but to let her die (or euthanize her). They did not tell of these kind of complications and they were unable to do these kinds of operations before hand. When they took my baby in they assured me that she would be ok. If only I would have known that I would never see my baby alive again. Nor would my kids... We are so very sad and lost without her. We all have a holes in our hearts and lives.

• Li
    linds88 Nov 21, 2010

Distemper does not cause hypoglicemia. They did nothing to your dog.

Resolved cremation mistake

Our dog of 11 years was being treated for palliative care. When the time came to make the very difficult...

Resolved lack of care/policy violation

I have a pet enrolled in one of Banfield's Wellness plans. My dog is normally seen in San Antonio, TX as that is where we live. I had an incident with her this last weekend while I was out of town visiting family. I was very worried as I thought my girl may have suffered a heart attack. I was in dire need of getting her seen and cared for right away.

The closest Banfield to me was located in Tyler, TX. I called at 2PM and was told that they were open until 5PM. I explained that it would take me an hour and a half to drive there, but was told that the last patient would be seen at 3PM. I asked if a doctor would be there if I arrived by 3:30PM and was told "I can't guarantee it". I then asked to be placed on hold so that the person that answered the phone would ask if a doctor would please stay to check out my girl. After 10 minutes on hold, I was told "No, but you can come in tomorrow".

My question is this. How can you advertise, and tell people, that your veterinary office is open until 5PM and then have no vets scheduled on duty after 3:30PM?
I am happy with my home Banfield office, but am not pleased with what I was told by the Tyler, TX office.

Resolved $550 for a scratch

I took my cat in because his back leg was limping. They estimated that the charges would be up to $325 to $400 dollars. I said "are you serious" dont do anything untill you talk to me first. They called me in 3 hours and said they needed my permission to sudate him for $22.00 I asked if that was really necessary and they convinsed me that he was in a lot of pain and they needed to right away. Ok, so I get a call later and they say I can pick him up at 4pm and my Bill was $550 or I could sign up for the Wellness plan and save. $145 and pay $22 a month. Sure is sounds good when you dont have the money to pay your bills. Turns out my cat had an infected scratch on his back leg and nothing more. These people take advantage of anyone and everyone. The wellness plan only benefits them and no one else, sure you get a discount... so called discount but you are sure to exceed the wellness plan because they will get $22 a month from everyone and reel them in on unnecessary test that they can charge you for outside of what is covered in the plan. This is why people are spending 10.5 billion dollars more each year on there pets. We love our pets, but just because we love our animals doesn't mean Banfield pet Hospital should take advantage of people who want give good care to our pet. We can still own a pet and not be in debt! This Pet hospital should be shut down, its a trap and a very dishonest business that know that they are doing wrong to all who come in to do business with them. SAD, but I just want to warn all of you. Dont make the same mistake as I did and go here.

Resolved billing complaint and staff

Dog became sick while boarded at petsmart. Dog was sent to pet hospital since was in store (Banfield Pet...

Resolved unquakified per care

October 2009 we purchased an Aussie puppy from a very knowledgeable and professional breeder Two days later we had her checked out at Banfiekd At the time of the visit they insisted that she had to be vaccinated even though the breeder (vet tech and nurse) had already done her 6, 9 and 12 week vaccination At the time she was 13 1/2 weeks We took her home and at first everything seemed fine Within a week this perfectly beautiful healthy pup had to be hospitalized and went through extensive tests and procedures as we fought to save her life. Tragically she passed away 3 days later We had only had her 13 days *3 in hospital fighting for her life) I contacted Banfield about the contract and they refused to allow us out Up to this we had already given them approx $500 1 prepayment to start plan, 1 for visit and 1 for ER care (of which they couldnt provide her the care she needed). The best they did was 50% of $300+ balance. Mounds of paperwork later we realized that she died from over vaccination The staff at our Banfield was so unsympathetic and acted like they could care less. We had had our cat there for 5 years only due to some huge financial bills previously and seemed ok w/ them I guess for me the biggest issue is their insistance of procedure - most vets will only allow 2 vaccines at a time I found out later and they hit her with at least 8 shots as well as heart worm and flea and tic As a side note they also gave her Worm Shield, any reputable vet is aware that Aussies can carry the MDR gene and heartworm is a red flag Our new vet will only allow Inteceptor Banfielld seemed to have no knowledge of our dog breed In fact the vet commented about the size of her feet and commented about what a big dog she would be I then asked her if she knew anything about this breed and she did not respond They do have large feet but only get between 50-60 lbs She thought she would end up 100+ I told my husband when I got home that that vet would not care for her again I did not like her Our debt for this was over $8, 000 and an incredible amout of heartache Never again!! Even our cat will not return I will eat the stupid contract costs, cheaper than vet hospital The sad fact is that we thought we could provide affordable healthcare for our pets but the reality is their costs are more expensive and their quality is poor It will be cheaper for us to pay out of pocket for our new pup vs contract and all the addl fees they hit you with Not to mention I feel more secure knowing we wont be looking at some astronomical hospital bill from Banfields ineptness. Just a side note we had not had a dog in about 18 years so we were novices to this whole thing it was only after all we went through all of thisdid we learn more than we ever wanted to about the risks etc of our pup. Really was crushed to find out that the Banfield vet was not the professional we thought she was and our trust in them was shattered.

vettechinheart May 04, 2010

sorry about your pet, but you cant really die from overvaccination, sure you can have a vaccine reaction, but thats 100% treatable and curable...nice try

vettechinheart May 04, 2010

wikipedia is not a liable source for future reference

• insideman May 22, 2010

Actually a dog can die from vaccinations, if the reaction is anaphylactic, whether it gets 1 or 5 vaccines. However, the above story is complete BS--Banfield doesn't offer 8 different vaccines. Also, puppy vaccines are given in combination to decrease the amount of adjuvent given in each vaccine instead of giving individual vaccinations. Maybe your dog had a reaction to the vaccines given, or maybe your world class breeder doesn't have the best blood lines. You can't completely place blame on the vet in this one, especially if you can't even provide proper details to the situation.

not an honest place and bad health car for animals, they are liars and thieves over priced and incompotent

Susan burnham one of the vets and director I believe is a rude... You know she and the other doctor who is a...

Resolved overcharges and gave vaccines when told not to

Signed up for this plan for my st bernard puppy. They gave her several vaccinations at age 4 months and...

Resolved unsanitary surgury

i took my puppy to banfield, she cut her paw on glass, she was bleeding terribly, they were still open, i...