Banfield Pet Hospital / they're all about making money

United States Review updated:

I got my puppy in April 2008 and got her Banfield's wellness health plan right away for a one-time fee of $180+ and $25/month. BIG MISTAKE! I should have done some research before going to them. She got her first round of vaccines soon after enrolling her. They offered the anti-histamine, which I was told is to prevent possible reaction to the vaccine, but it was going to cost $20! I accepted the first time. On her second round I declined it and guess what? My puppy was better after the shots than the first time. On the same appointment, I also requested Banfield to check on the 2 slightly balding spots on my puppy. I was told it could be demodex and that they have to do a skin test to confirm it. I agreed to the skin test. Banfield called me later and confirmed that it was indeed demodex and that treatment would cost $500 for 4 weekly baths! I was told it is not advisable to do it myself at home as it involves using a toxic solution. I did some research and read that goodwinol ointment is effective in treating demodex so I declined the treatment they were offering on June 19, 2008. They probably didn't expect that I would decline the treatment so when I came to pickup my puppy, I was being charged $23 for the skin test! I argued nobody mentioned that there will be a charge for the test. In the end I was told that I can't bring my puppy there anymore until I pay so I had to pay. I also asked about the option of canceling the health plan and was told that I would still have to pay the whole year because I signed a contract! By this time, I already know they care more about making money than caring for my pet.

My puppy was scheduled for spay on July 11, 2008. Her demodex was almost gone. When I came to pick her up, I thought she would have been spayed already but I was told that it was better to wait for her demodex to completely clear up. My puppy was turning 6 months on Aug 14 so I asked about the 6-month policy about spay - that there is a charge for it if the puppy is over 6 months. I was the one who brought it up so I clearly remembered what the guy told me - that it will be waived because it was their recommendation to postpone it for the sake of my puppy. Now, it is Aug 27 and I called to reschedule my puppy for spay. I was told that I will have to pay for it because my puppy is over 6 months! WHAT??? I told Darlene (Banfield) the story but she didn't "hear" a word I said. She was determined to make me pay. She then passed me to a guy. Same thing, didn't hear me. Then the manager, Maya. She said I would have to pay because there is a note in my puppy's medical record that I would have to pay if my puppy becomes over 6 months when she is to be spayed. Nobody at Banfield cared about what I just said. All they care about is making money!

I will just bring my puppy to a local SPC for her spay. I will never go back to Banfield ever! I will pay for the rest of the year and close my account. They are a nightmare!

Comments