Banfield / careless pet car

1 North Carolina, United States Review updated:

Took two healthy cats to Banfiels Pet Hospital in Pet Smart be spayed.
There was an "anesthesia mishap' on one and she was sent home in pain and blind... no sedative. Banfield was closed the next day. I took her to an Animal Hospital where they gave the cat a shot to relieve the pain.. said the cat had been blinded and had a very low temp and unresponsive — she could not even move her head.
The contacted another Banfield location and said to take her there and have her uthenized.
Healthy one day, to Banfield at Pet Smart, dead the next.
Please people take you pet elsewhere. Banfield cost more and is less experience that your local vet or humane society. It's seems to me it is all hype to make$. This is in memory of my cat that paid the price. Pass this along to all pet owners you know.

En

Comments

• Ri
      6th of Aug, 2011

I agree the pet care is careless at Banfield Pet Hospital. The main reason is the doctors are over worked and they do not give the animals the proper time needed in order to provide the proper diagnoses. This is a place to bring a healthy pet that only needs standard treatment. I was with Banfield for 6 years; they lost my trust when the Vet diagnosed my pet of having a torn ligament and arthritis without any x-ray, ultrasound, stress test or even a full discussion of his daily activities. The doctor proceeded to recommend I see an orthopedic surgeon for surgery to his leg. Because I know my pet and there was no strenuous activity on his part, I rejected the diagnoses and recommendation. And I definitely rejected the pharmaceutical they recommended. Basically, the diagnosis was incorrect, if a little more time or effort would have been put forth, she would have discovered, there was nothing more than a hung nail on that foot. And we all know how it hurts if a nail breaks close to the skin.
    Thank God, I trusted my gut or I would have put my pet through unnecessary agony not counting the financial loss. Yes, a vaccine at Banfield may cost a tad bit less, but it’s not worth my dog’s life. I prefer a Vet who cares enough to follow my pet’s life cycle by taking a little time and effort which equates to quality healthcare vs. an assembly line.

• Ba
      15th of Aug, 2011

Richmond TX, Thank you for your feedback. We apologize that your visit to one of our hospitals has left your feeling this way. We strive to provide our clients and their pets with high quality medicine and exceptional client experiences on every visit. To address your specific concern, and to help us improve our overall service, we would appreciate it if you would call us at 877-500-2288 to discuss what happened.

• Ba
      29th of Aug, 2011

ennui- On behalf of Banfield we are sorry for the loss of your cat. Please feel welcome to call our Client Advocate Team to discuss what happened, 877-500-2288, we are currently unaware of this situation and would love the opportunity to speak with you directly.

• Sl
      29th of Aug, 2011

I am sorry about your kitty. I own several, many which I love to death. I would demand the money back for the spay and the cost you paid at the vet hospital. There is no excuse for such horrible negligence! You are right, I love my cats, and would be devastated if anything happened to one of mine. I found the best way to find a reputable vet is word of mouth. Or to take your kitties in for shots. Are they going to try to sell you unneeded products? Is the vet willing to work within your budget? Does the vet/vet techs seem caring and warm towards your animals? Is the vet's primary concern of the needs of your pets, and not lining his pockets with your money? If family, friends, neighbors seem happy with the care that their pets are receiving, then that is a good indicator that you have found a decent vet. Good luck, I am sorry for your pain. That is awful.

• Sl
      30th of Aug, 2011

Have the vet hospital you took your kitty to afterward write a letter for you that Banfield's negligence was a direct result of your cat dying. Demand your money back for the spay, pain and suffering, as well as money to complicate you for a new cat when you are ready, also for the bill at the animal hospital for her aftercare. There is no excuse for such lack of care when a animal is spayed. Take them to small claims court if they refuse to reimburse you. I have gotten better care from a low cost clinic, then you received. My husband and I had a cat with an infected uterus. We did not know, because when we took her for shots, nobody mentioned that she might have any issues of this sort. Basically, the vet called and asked that we pay for a antibiotic shot and that she stay over to be looked after because her uterus was infected. The vet explained in detail what was wrong and everything. If he was able to successfully spay a cat with an infected uterus, then I do not understand what happened to your cat, that she was returned to you in such horrible condition. I have heard horror stories from this vet association. They are about money, not the care of their animals. When you are feeling better, I urge you to adopt a kitty from your local shelter. Their are many wonderful kitties that will be a play mate for your other cat, and though it cannot replace your feline, or the horrible experience, you will love another in a different way. I had a cat I loved dearly die. I miss him everyday. Sometimes I still cry because I miss him. I have another cat I love in a different way, and she makes my life brighter and happier. Again, I am sorry such a routine surgery turned out so horrifically for your pet.