Banfield Pet Hospital Logo

Banfield Pet Hospital

Having problems with Banfield Pet Hospital?

+1 866 894 7927 (Corporate Headquarters)
+1 877 500 2288 (Hospital Experience Feedback)
+1 866 277 7387 (Enrollments and Information)
+1 866 935 5738 (Billing or Payment Information)
+1 888 649 2716 (Questions and Plan Cancellation)
+1 877 656 7146 (Website Questions and Comments)
18101 SE 6th Way
Vancouver, Washington

Complaints & Reviews

malpractice

I brought my cat to Banfield, The Pet Hospital, in Burbank, Illinois, on January 4, 2007, because he was ill and in distress. He was diagnosed by Dr. Anupama Muddasani with a urinary tract infection and sent home with antibiotics. His condition continued to worsen and I brought him back to Banfield on January 9th. He was seen by Dr. Jatinder Singh Dhanoa and was again sent home and I was told to continue antibiotics. After his condition worsened even further, in desperation I took him to another animal hospital on January 13th and he was immediately diagnosed with a completely different (neurological) problem, for which he received proper treatment and is now well. All of the information that the second hospital used to make this diagnosis was available to Banfield in their initial test results. I attempted to contact Banfield in person and via telephone, fax and e-mail on 15 occasions regarding a refund and never received a response. I also filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, which they ignored as well.

My cat was misdiagnosed on two separate occasions, for which I paid a total of $438.45. I paid for a proper diagnosis and treatment of my cat, which I did not receive. Above and beyond economic damage, my cat was suffering from a RUPTURED DISC in his back, not a URINARY TRACT INFECTION and was in excruciating pain for two weeks longer than necessary.

Angie Howard Apr 16, 2010

I have been buying products from Petsmart for years and other than the high prices had no complaints. However, recently I acquired a new puppy from a shelter and wanted to have her bathed and clipped. Sadie is a Lasa-Poo and has poodle like fur and she smelled like all animal shelters smell. I called Petsmart grooming salon, made the appointment and was told to be sure to bring her shot record. Having other pets I was well aware that that was a requirement and told her I had all her information. When I arrived, there was one groomer clipping a small dog another was sweeping the floor and a third was signing in a customer. I stood at the counter for several min. w/o being acknowledged. While waiting I watched the groomer still clipping the small dog already tethered and when she was ready to clip the other side the took the front leg and jerked the dog around, never saying a word to it. That was my first clue. The little dog being signed in was shaking and obviously scared but neither the owner or the employee said anything to calm the poor little dog. I leaned over and spoke softly to it and as the owner left he handed the leash to the clerk. The dog was dragged through the grooming area into the back holding room. I thought if she would just pick the poor thing up and speak to it the dog may calm down. It never made a sound other than a whimper. Finally it was my turn and I told the clerk my name and handed her Sadie's shot record and she said she needed the certificate not the record so she could not groom my dog. I went to the store check out clerk and asked to speak to a manager and suggested a call could be made to the Vet to verify the information the phone # was on the folder I gave the goomer. I did have the certificate at home but was told they needed the record. He went into the salon and spoke to the women and when he motioned me back in and was told they would do the grooming. In the meantime the women who had dragged the scared little dog got bitten. I stated that maybe if the animals were not treated so mean they wouldn't bite. Well, the Manager stated "she did not ask to be bitten" but if you have a problem you can leave. I said that is exactly what I am going to do. I was so upset thinking of all the people who leave their pets and do not have any idea what is happing to them. I have never written a message like this before but since I am sure this was not an isolated incident I felt I must.

Angeline Howard, 214-986-4727

trying to sell unneeded services!

Recently took my dog to Banfield, because his hot spots and itchy skin. The vet indicated that his lungs sounded bad and wanted to take x-rays worth hundreds of dollars. She kept on saying that it could be serious. Next came the time to sign the papers to let them do it. After I refused to get the x-ray-pictures done, the vet refused to prescribe anything for the itchy skin. Needless to say that I went to see my regular vet. Strange enough my regular vet told me there was NOTHING wrong with his lungs, prescribed medicine for the skin and he is getting better.

• Sy
    sympathetictech Mar 15, 2010

And that is the wonderful choice of a second opinion. Thanks for being mature about it.

wellness plan scam!

In January of 2006 I took one of my dogs to Banfield to have a review of treatment to remove a growth over...

fake service!

I have read the complaints for banfield in different areas of the world. I am still not quite sure if this was my fault or not?... My story is that I had a 9 yr old dog, Austrailian shepherd to be exact. Most beautiful girl I've owned. I too used Banfield as a pet hospital. At first i took her to banfield for her leg, as you know shepherds are good for developing arthritis... They told me that i needed to have her get surgery which would be over 1 thousand dollars... I didn't have that kind of money at the time so i asked about another option.... they gave me medication for her pain and told me to keep a close eye on her and don't let her jump up and off things at all... I quit my job to stay with her... NEXT She developed what Banfield called a "flea allergy" All of a sudden... she had NEVER had this "allergy" until she was about 8 yrs old, she started losing all her hair... I have paper, still to prove I had brought her NUMEROUS times to their hospital. Everytime I brought her to this hospital they said she had a flea allergy. I told them Whatever I am using for fleas is not working. I had tried, "no chew spray", "Flea shampoo - of different kinds", Advantix, the spot stuff you put on the nech area... the list goes on. I kept bringing her back and they would give her "shots" to supposably make her stop chewing... It didn't work, she still chewed. She was my pride and joy and who I felt safe with. Very protective but also friendly. Best most well trained animal I've ever owned. I had taken her to get her shots around the time she was due and banfield told me they could not give her her shots as she was "sick". they told me when she gets better she can get her shots. I tried to get her nails clipped at petsmart and they told me they couldn't have an infested dog in there with other animals... i swear to you i tried it all and I tried my best to take care of her. My husband will vouch for me. Later on in 2006 I found out I was pregnant... My husband and I both agree'd that we just couldn't afford to get ready for a baby and keep paying these vet bills and pay for her medication for her arthritis etc. I decided I would call the MSPCA. I brought her in and they took her and said they'd be in touch. Soon there after they called me and told me how bad she was and that they would try not to put her to sleep unless it was necessary... in tears of course, after 9 yrs wouldn't you be?... I told them this is why i gave her to you, so she could get taken care of. They told me I should've given her up sooner. Well it felt like giving up a child to me... They said they'd be in touch... After that they called again another day to tell me banfield had said I refused to take care of her when they gave me advice or told me to do her surgery. Bandifeld also told me them i refused to give her her shots... and that was so hurtful... As you can imagine they literally made me feel like the worst owner of an animal. Bandfield had told them all lies and that I wasn't taking care of her. A few months ago I found something on criagslist about an austrailian shepherd who had the SAME EXACT problem... I emailed the person to ask them what it was, well they didn't know their vet said but the vet was giving the animal steroid shots of some kind and the animal seemed to be getting better. Unfortunately I never kept in touch to see how the animal was. I wish I never gave my dog up!!! If I had just brought her to another vey things may be different... The moral of this story is that Banfield should be shut down everywhere they lie to make themselves look great. They made me look bad when I tried everything I could.

pet care / wellness program!

Banfield is a rip off... I am beginning the stages to file a civil complaint/law suit against this company. In order to be considered, you must have dates and costs on paper of all visits for your pet. If you have a second opinion from another vet that will be very beneficial. Please state only facts in your email. I understand your pet is your family and there are emotions involved, however in order to get an attorney and file complaints, we need the facts only!

If you are not complaining against banfield or do not have records, please refrain from sending emails to this account. All negative or threatening emails will be tracked and prosecuted to the fullest extent the law will allow.

In your email, please include the following: state all facts, dates and names and the store number, address, facility ID etc. If you have a timeline of all your contact with the Banfield facility, that will help also. If you have all your vet bills, medical records etc, please state that you do and provide your contact information. Please give me 72 hours to give a confirmation email and at least 7-10 days to contact you! I will email updates at least once a month on the progress of our complaint. If anyone knows of a lawsuit already in progress please provide some information!

At this time, I am only gathering information in order to submit for consideration of a class action complaint and/or lawsuit. All information will be held in strict confidence and will not be shared without written permission. Again, this is only for information gathering purposes only! If such actions are going to be taken, a Legal Attorney will give further instructions.

Too many animals have died or become sick in the care of Banfield. It's time something is done about it!

• Br
    Brunilda Suarez Feb 27, 2008

My dog maxx was a the benfield doctor last saturday feb 23 08 for his regular shot. He have 3 shot on that day, when i was ready to leave my dog staring voming and diarrea at the same time, i run to take him back to the vet, they take him inside and tell me the my dog have a reaction for the shot and he almost died. I was crying and nerves, i went to see him and he was look like he was dieding.but what i don t understang why now i have to be charge with $155.55 dollars when my dog got sick b caus what happen. They call me today i tolk if i don t pay my money they going to sent my name to a collection agence, plase can someone help me. My cell is 719 216 8545 this happen in colorado springs colorado, thanks, Brunilda.

• Yv
    Yvonne Dugay Jul 08, 2008

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Our former banfield hospital at the Citadel Crossing Petsmart in Colorado Springs, Co., was getting so bad that appointments just were not being taken because the hospital was closed so often. One of my dogs is on phenobarbitol for seizures. So, I called in my refill over a week early at the pharmacy t make sure we did not run out. I kept calling the parmacy asking if the vet had faxed in the refill order...after a week of no reply from the hospital, I called Banfield. The woman who answered was very snotty and said she was only taking appointments and there was no one there. The following Monday I went down in person and waited until a vet signed off on the refill. And this was not the first time this happened. Finally, we decided to transfer our dogs' records to the Banfield on Powers Boulevard. It cost us $212 just to transfer the records because it is Banfield's policy that the dogs have a complete check-up. After we checked our dogs in, we were told that it wasn't necessary for one of our dogs to have been given the check-up because he was not on the wellness program. But, this was AFTER the fact. Our other dog is on the wellness program...the Optimum one. Then we were told that they would meet any price on the Heartgard Medication. All I had to do was bring in the paperwork from the online medication store I use as proof. Well, I did that this morning, yesterday was when we had our appointments. I was told, "Oh no we can't do that because it had to be done before the purchase was made and besides, only the manager can ok it and the manager is on vacation. " None of this was ever explained to us. So, I agree with you 100%. They take advantage of situations. But, I have to agree with their logo: We treat pets like family." Many families stabbed each other in the backs!!!

overcharging / rip off

I have read most of the posts on here and would also like to add my comments. I have a 2 year old boxer in...

my dog lost the first digit of his toe!

Our staffy caine (our son) had a wonderful doctor in altamonte springs me and my husband jason moved to orlando and decided to go to banfield inside petsmart when we noticed he was favoring his foot. Our dog loved to tug on tree limbs and one of his nails got stagged and was ripped off. Soon after that it started to grow back we kept it clean and bandfiled told us it was infected and to give him a pill for infection and like everyone else they sucked us into getting a wellness plan. 65.00 for the visit and 200 to start the plan my number make me a little of more or less. This is before we even met the doctor last name was ruiz located inside petsmart nest to walmart in orlando on sandlake and john young parkway. He was petrified of our dog he wanted to put a muzzle on him, and our dog was completely calm there was no reason for the muzzel, caine took the muzzle as a insult and we were not able to put that on him like any other dog. We ended up hold the dog to mr. Ruiz request so he could take a look at his paw.if your going to be a vet you cant be scared of animals, because they can sense fear. Duh!!! Well we waited 2 to 3 weeks and caine was still favoring that foot it was swelling and he was hopping on 3 legs. It crushed me to see my son in such pain. We ended up taking caine to his old doctor . Doctor marincen in altamontr springs. He loves caine and would not be scared to help him. Our doctor was so pissed off at banfield , he examined caine and he said well if you would have came to me two weeks before we could have saved his toe from being removed... banfield was so scared of our dog they didn't do what they are paid to do. The are vets in training. Now i have collection agency calling my phone... I had a friend who said if they are calling you on your phone for money they had the nerve to put it on your credit. Because i canceled that account after they got more then 4 65 dollars out of me after what they did to my son... we will be seeing them in court... in fact i want to get everyone together to go after these dress up vet doctors... To charge us for services that led to the amputation of my dogs foot... they are people out there who have had their pets die because of banfield... these people think just because we signed a contract they own our bank accounts their wrong... if there is human medical malpractice... this is the beginning of the banfield medical malpractice suit can i get an amen!!!

• Co
    conmandrz Jul 23, 2008

OKC, OK Banfield Clinic. Dr. Camjie Clough--she killed my 68 day old puppy. She operated on her nose, spayed her and removed a hernia. She weighed a little over 2 lbs. SHE did the autopsy. I turned her in to the Okla. Vet. Medical Bd. She was called in and I was refunded the money on the stupid Wellness program. BUT--she killed my puppy. We are seeking justice. Banfield is a disecting, uncaring, money making company that is worse than the animal humane society!!!

refuses to cancel plan

I have been unemployed for 11 months except for low paying temp jobs. I moved 5 hours away where there was a Petsmart. The very next morning one of my dogs broke his foot. We contacted Petsmart for the Banfield information and there was a space for them; however, no one occupied the space. I had to take him to a local vet and pay over $200. I contacted Banfield to cancel since they refuse to provide services in this area and I was told I had to pay for services used. What services I asked and received no detailed response. They told me they would not cancel my plan since I refused to pay for these services. I had to pay each time I visited, so what outstanding balance would I owe? I contacted the credit card to dispute the charge. The credit card company could not find anything on Banfield's website about cancellation policy that would allow them to continue charging my account. I consider it fraud.

• Es
    Estelle A Jun 12, 2007

Banfield Hospitals should be the "last" place pet owners should consider taking their pets for pet care. I've read many complaints regarding this company and I and shocked that there has not been a law suit filed against them. You would think the corporate office or main headquarters would look into these complaints being that so many of their customers are taking time to tell their story, surely "all" of them (if any) are telling a faulthood regarding Banfield. It boils down to "not caring" as long as money is being brought into the company. What about the customer is always right... I guess this doesn't apply here.

• Ka
    Kay Mirshafiee Jun 25, 2007

My dog was sick and i took her to the Banfileds hospital in Yorba Linda Ca and she had to be hospitalized. She had boody dieria and vomiting. she was given the IV Fluid and Ampicilline. I was told that she will be given three kinds of Antibiotic and Blood work, Dewarm, all kind of test that I could not believe how they came with this long list and they wanted to charge me for 790.00 $. My dog is only 6.6 ponds and she is a little pamaranian and very healthy dog. I knew she can get better with IV Fluid and Antibiotic. So, I declined all of the unrelated list that they were suggesting to make money out of my dog. plus when I purchased the Wellness plan the visit and hospital fee were supposed to be included but they denied that no the hospitalization fee is th pet nurse care, doctor care and hospitaliziation fee. They charged me for 80.00 $ only for that and 76.26 $ for IV because they had to add another extension for my small dog and they had to use special needles and on and on and on. Addition to all of the above they kept changing the price and charges on me based on my decline. I am so angry, upset, and outraged that the new doctor whose introduced himself as a lead doctor and his name was not found any where kept adding charges and new procedure. His name is "INGRAMAR CALIOLIO". I am complaining not only because he keep diagnosing my dog for things that no other doctor did and they are charging me beyond and above of what i was told. I am sending this complaint not only for letting other people know how Banfield hospital is and also I am asking to get all my money back if not I keep sending my complaint to some place that eventually i get respond back from some one. I will remove my two dogs from wellness plan from Banfield and I will let any one who I know the outrages charges so they wont even consider this place for their pets.

Cheryl Caliolio Nov 13, 2007

This is an actual comment of a grateful client from Banfield --Alexandria.

Murphy's TPLO Surgeries
    **First time viewers note: It is best to start from August 2006 and work your way forward**
    August 14, 2006
    A little about Murphy

Our Introduction

For starters, my first name is Kendra and my husband's name is Rob. We are currently living in Washington DC, as my husband is in the military. This blog is dedicated to our wonderful 2-1/2 year old Yellow Lab named Murphy, who is about to undergo knee surgery in both legs!

Why I choose to create this Blog?

Well for starters, Murphy is an 82 pound Labrador Retriever, one of American’s most popular breeds. I searched the internet and didn’t readily find any documented TPLO surgery accounts that involved Labs (not saying that there may not be any out there).

Secondly, we live in a 3-story apartment and in my searches I didn't find any past recovery cases from TPLO that had this many stairs involved!!!!

Our first level is where Murphy will be confined to during both of his healing processes, it consists of the laundry room and foyer. The second level is where we spend the majority of our time because this is where the kitchen and living room is located. Murphy typically camps out on the couch, but during his recovery he won't be allowed to come upstairs at all. Our third level is where all the bedrooms are located. Murphy is used to sleeping with us as well, so that will be another change that he isn't going to like.

Thirdly, a blog is an easy way for our family and friends to keep track of Murphy’s progress, as well as give anyone who may face a similar situation what to expect during and after a TPLO surgery.

Murphy's Arrival

Murphy became an addition to our family in February of 2004. I drove 5-1/2 hrs to Meridian Mississippi to get him for a surprise for my husband for Valentine's Day. From the moment the two met they have pretty much been inseparable. Their together time consists of wet kisses and playing fetch. We have been blessed with Murphy's temperament and personality. He was no trouble to potty train, and discipline came very easy for him. He has never been a chewer, is trained by hand signals, and even passed puppy kindergarten with flying colors (Except for getting into trouble from flirting with his 'girlfriend' who was a Chocolate Lab).

Past Medical History

Murphy has really only had one minor health problem. He was diagnosed with food allergies after an ear infection sporadically came and went for his first year. We were prescribed Z/D Ultra by Hills by our local Florida vet, and we were told that he could no longer have any normal types of dog treats as well as no table scraps. Taking away the table scraps was easy because he hardly ever got them, we were adamant about him not being a moocher. However, taking away his normal dog bones, and vanilla wafers was a little sad. His treats now consist of carrots and ice cubes. Occasionally Rob will sneak him a tiny piece of pizza crust, and a few pieces of popcorn.

The Final Straw

We noticed about 1 &1/2 years ago that whenever Murphy would wake up from a nap, he would be slow in getting up, and that he often limped for a little while until his muscles warmed up. The first thing we thought of was hip displacia, however his hips were guaranteed as a puppy, and he didn't do it all the time. With that in mind, we literally chalked it up to him just getting older. We did however make sure to question two different vets about it, the last being this past March. We were told that he was over weight (95 lbs at the time) and that it was probably putting a strain on his joints. This really wasn't any NEW news to us. We have been told since Murphy was six months old that he was over weight, but we had a hard time believing it. Labs are supposed to be big and bulky, have thick necks, and broad shoulders. It was also hard to believe because the only thing he ever really gets is his dog food. We took the recommendation to heart and decided it was time to be proactive about his future. We cut his food back to 4 cups a day, and began the use of a measuring cup.

Fast forward to a few days after the Fourth of July this year. We were in the middle of our move, and were staying at a local hotel that accepted pets until we got housing. We tried to take advantage of Alexandria's many dog parks, and about 3-4 times a week we would walk him to the nearby parks in an attempt to give him some normality, as well as continue with his daily fetch routine.

One day, after waking up from a nap he was slow in getting up, and refused to put any weight on his back right leg. He continued to do this for two days. It was then that we decided that it was time to have x-rays done so that we could finally get some answers.

Since Rob is military and we move often, we decided that it would be best to start using Banfield Pet Hospitals as our primary vet. They are attached to most PetSmarts which makes them easy to find, and they have a Pet Wellness Plan that carries from state to state.

On July 19th, Murphy was seen by Dr. Caliolio at Banfield and by that afternoon we had our answers. Murphy’s hips and spine were picture perfect, however, both of his knees were cause for concern. Based on the X-rays Dr. Caliolio diagnosed Murphy with a possible cranial cruciate rupture and joint effusion with apparent bilateral stifles. I didn’t quite understand what all of that meant, but Dr. Caliolio was wonderful in explaining it to me and even went as far at to pull out a text book to help. He advised me that he was going to refer me to a local orthopedic specialist for confirmation.

The Diagnosis

On August 3rd, I brought Murphy to South Paws Veterinary Specialists for his referral appointment. I met with Dr. Daniel Brehm, who looked at Murphy’s X-rays and did several tests. He determined that Murphy indeed had partial Cruciate Ligament tears in both legs.

The following is a link to South Paws website for an explanation of a Cranial Cruciate Ligament Rupture http://www.southpaws.com/topics/cruciate.htm

After careful consideration, we decided that the TPLO (Tibial Plateau Leveling Osteotomy) surgery would be the best choice for Murphy. The main reason is because we still don’t know exactly how he injured himself to begin with, neither of us can recall any events within the past 2 & 1/2 years where he may have hurt himself. Unlike other surgeries that rely on scar tissue, TPLO uses pins to fuse the bone together and eliminates the need for the ligaments. It is our theory that with the TPLO it will be harder for him hurt himself again, and that it will be worth doing it right the first time. The TPLO surgery is relatively more expensive than other types of surgeries, the cost being $3000 per leg (* However, that price includes everything, including his follow-up visits). The TPLO has a healing period of 6-8 weeks, and history has shown that dogs that have it will typically develop arthritis the same as any other normal dog. The plan is to do one leg, go through the 8 week recovery, and then do the second leg.

Current Activity Level

Murphy isn’t what we would consider a very active dog. His days consist of lying on the couch until we come home from work. Then he wants to go straight outside to take care of business and do what he loves the most..... play fetch!!!

Since the Diagnosis we have had to cut back on his play time which has made him a very unhappy camper. There have been several days where he has been vocal about 'what time it is' and has even gone as far as to go pout in the corner for an hour when he didn't get his way. As you can probably tell, he is our only child!

Winter is coming, and Murphy has spent all of his winters up until now in Florida. This winter will mark his first snowfall, and we are hoping that if we get started on the surgeries ASAP that he will be able to enjoy the snowfalls like a normal dog, and spend the rest of his years happily running and playing fetch like any other dog!

The Date for Surgery No. 1

We broke down and scheduled the surgery for this Friday, August 18th. We decided to start on his right leg first since this is the one that bothered him last. Since he has partial ACL tears in BOTH legs, there is a chance that he could further injure his left leg during his recovery simply because it will be bearing the brunt of his weight for at least the first few weeks. We are hoping that there will be no complications and that his left leg will hold out.

Other Helpful Links

The following are some GREAT links that I found of other people who have had success stories with TPLO:

posted by Murphy TPLO 2006 at 09:47

1 Comments:
    Anonymous said...
    I am sure "The Murph" will do fine and I hope that for his sake he will have a speedy recovery on both knee's. (Otherwise you two will pay!)
    I'm glad that you created this blog and included us! Thank you! I will be checking in occasionally. Talk to ya soon.
    Jamie

6:36 AM

• Ex
    EXBanfield Customer Feb 09, 2008

We enjoyed the Banfield years ago, the hours, the staff, and the convenience. Now the staff is new every time we go there. Minimum wage, incompetent, Middle school education staff, absolute ###s. Every attempt by the staff is incorrect not once but 12 or more times. I knew how to use a fax machine at 6 years old. They are so Lost. Absolute ###S! They require a fee to terminate their *** plan because they know their service will not stand up to their promises. They denied further service to one of my dogs and want to continue to charge me till the plan ends. Pure harassment and their practices should be looked into by fraud services. Below is a letter sent to the Dirtbag Company.

At my pets last visit the Dr. Insulted me horribly verbally to my face she said "I don't know why people don't take their dogs to Aggression training, Its its like someone Bipolar not going to a Psychiatrist" WOW TO MY FACE OUT LOUD, she would not treat my dog anymore if I did not take her for aggression training. She is perfectly mannered and responds instantly to my commands except for when at that unprofessional zoo. She is 4 years old and has never hurt or attempted to hurt anyone. The employees change lately so often, The personnel are different every time I go. The staff consists of people who are minimum wage, no experience, insulting and mainly incompetent. She does get upset at Banfield, so I always muzzle her there, she is only scared to death. It is not a good environment for any animal that is breathing. Please cancel my wellness plan as of today. I have had nothing but hassles with the local pet hospital. My pet is scared to death and they do nothing to try to soothe her or make up to her, no good "bedside manor" offered. Again hugely unprofessional for a Vets office. Besides that point, it took almost 2 months to get them to write a prescription for Heartgard for my dog, Somehow screwing up over a dozen times. I had to call both Banfield and the online company I was ordering from numerous times. The first request (before 1 year from previous test had expired) they said they couldn't find her in their records, "Find employees with brains" and then they waited long enough for her to need to go for a new test before they would write it, so they denied it. Then I got the above mentioned talk about not wanting to see her again. I asked to pick up a prescription this past Monday, left work early to get there in time and prescription wasn't there. They said they would fax it Tuesday, never happened again. Called them again on Thursday and requested fax, they said maybe they would call the company I was ordering from and send it to them. They sent it to the wrong company and the only way I knew that was that company called me to ask if I wanted to place an order. Finally faxed request again today and they faxed me the prescription. The first time it was wrong and I had to request it again. (my hair is turning grey) Now, finally after nearly 2 months I have a prescription in hand. No professionalism. Everything has just been a tremendous nightmare. When we first started going there it was convenient, evening hours, weekend hours, could go anytime great professional staff. Now it is very difficult to get an appointment and they always request that the pet be dropped off for whole day. I'm sure under the circumstances they don't want me to drop off my pet (since they don't even want to see her)! And I wouldn't want her left in a cage for hours being neglected and scared to death! I would not leave my neighbors pet Rat there! I called in to cancel and they said I still had 3 or 4 months left on contract which I would be liable for even though the hospital does not want to take care of my pet. I have been on the plan for almost 4 years and did not sign a 4 year contract! If Banfield was a Professional Vet with professional staff today as they advertise I would be glad to continue to use them as a vet. Please mail me a copy of the 4 year contract with my signature signed.

I will do everything in my power to Distribute this nightmare story to warn people from getting Scammed into their contract just to find out that their pet is lucky to be still alive today. GO TO A REAL VET NOT A PETSHOP.

• Je
    jesstx Jan 29, 2011

I agree, years ago Banfield was great, but now its another story. So sad! It used to be a convenient and affordable place, now they are sales people and the doctors dont seem to know what they are doing. One even pulled out a book in front of me to research what I was describing. BASIC Seizures in LABS!

• Xt
    xtintin Aug 03, 2013

The owner who wrote a blog about "Murphy, " named "Cheryl Caliolio" has the same last name as the vet being discussed by the commenter and the previous commenter. Murphy's owner seemed to praise Dr. Caliolio. But is it just a coincidence that her and the vet have the same last name? If you ask me, it can easily be assumed that Murphy's owner is related to Dr. Caliolio, and she wrote a "blog" to put a good name on the vet and devalue the previous commenter's complaints.

numerous complaints about banfield!

Where do I begin. We began our vaccinations with Banfield and we had to go back a few times until they were...

warning! stay away from this place!

I took my puppy several days ago to this place because my vet was on vacation... I go sign up and wait 1 hr...

unprofessional, rude behavior of manager

I originally signed-up for the Wellness Plan through the Ventura hospital. When the veterinarian left Ventura, I was transferred to Oxnard, wherein I have spent many days waiting an average of two hours for appointments. This time spent allowed me to observe, on every occasion, the manager treating clients rudely and dismissively. She displays a continued lack of respect for the Hispanic community at large. When I commented on this to another employee, I was told that the manager had "health issues", which caused her to behave in this intolerable manner.

I believe that there is no excuse for Banfield allowing her continued employment. In addition, I have continually had problems with my Wellness account being appropriately managed.

• Fr
    fred&lupe Jun 17, 2009

I had been to this place many atimes and I is of Hispanic desent. Lady manager always very nice to me and wife and give us good help allthe times. Some never happy becase they really the problems.

• I love Banfield in Oxnard, been going there for years. Have 3 dogs, they love the staff. They have several new vets who seem nice. Our favorite is Doctor Snider she's been there for years she's great. The office staff is always very professional and the techs are very knowledgable. There's been a couple of managers over the years, never had a problem, they always seem to be interacting well with customers and pets. Keep up the great work, don't worry about complaints, some people have nothing else better to do.

• Li
    Liar Liar Apr 11, 2010

Some people need to take a look at themselves. I went to school with the woman making this complaint. Banfield and its employee's are not the first to feel her wrath. She has a long history of making unfounded complaints if she doesn't get her way. Keep up the great pet care Banfield. Many people love what you do.

ringworms and mange

My children and I shopped at a Lowe's store in Houston, TX and a what appeared to be a kitten kept coming up to us and rubbing our legs. Being gaunt from malnourishment and dehydration, we elected to bring the kitty home. That evening, the kitten had diarrhea and we knew to take her in right away for a sick appointment instead of waiting for the Banfield near us to get her in for a check-up and shots. We new she probably would have lots of stray-cat illnesses. We also noted a patch of fur missing on her front paw. We took her to Banfield at the given appointment time and waited for three hours. We asked how much longer and they informed us we couldn't be seen that day and would need to reschedule due to an emergency with another patient. I asked them to call another location and they found one that could see us after lunch. We drove across town and were told that they could NOT see us. I had them call the previous location back to determine what happened. I then suggested calling another location. There was another location that could see us, but it was about thirty minutes away. We went there and were seen. The vet did an exam and a stool sample. He also looked at her foot to determine the cause. She had worms and needed her shots. Nothing wrong with her foot; just probably caught it in something or got in a fight. We informed him that she was a stray and he still insisted this was all that was needed. A couple of months, $300 more and kittens later, everyone has ringworms (including my son and I)! I took the mother and kittens to the vet to determine cause of patches with hairloss and crusty, red skin. He agreed this was ringworm, did a test for mange and sent us home with lots of medicine and a dyp. I followed-up on the test and they dais everything was negative after about 2 weeks and that they will wait a few more days to see what comes of the culture. The vet feels there may be something else wrong and says to bring them all back. NOT A CHANCE. I have seen pictures of ringworm on the internet and this is definately what they have. They look so terrible and all of this could have been avoided if the first vet did his due diligence. Not to mention that this vet either confused the test with another animal or made some kind of mistake. We went to our doctor yesterday to find that in fact we did have ringworm and need to treat w/ an anti-fungal for 10 days.

DO NOT go to Banfield if you can help it. I looked on the website www.bbb.com to see if there are others and they have alot of complaints. You need to scan through some of the listings because they are all different registries and a few don't have any negative info.

Their corporate office was uncooperative and would not help me deal with the issue after they agreed to look into it and talk with the vets to see what went wrong. Also, the vets will not speak to me about this as they say their policy is no refunds for medications or services. They also charged me for the kittens after they said that they would not during the exam. You would think PetsMart would not want to deal with a company like this. Right? Wrong. In fact, PetsMart has a number of issues listed as well as their PetsMart Charity Program that the Better Business Bureau does not recommend.

I also bought a Guinea Pig from PetsMart and it was ill. They sent it to the Banfield in their store and we had a very difficult time getting it on the right antibiotics to get it well. They DO NOT guarantee their services and in fact you nearly sign away your rights that protect you if the unthinkable happens.

Also, when we checked in at Banfield, they printed another customer's information on the release to treat because the receptionist just typed in our last name too quickly and did not enter our first name in the information search. I noticed it when the signature line was incorrect. They had to check out that patient and check our kitty in. This caused much trouble during the exam and upon check-out.

Please check these people out first so that you can make an informed decision. I would like to think that as large a corporation as they are, there are still a few good vets around.

This issue was not getting resolved and I needed to see another vet for the kittens because their course of treatment was not working and I think that the medicine might actually be making to kitties more sickly. I contact Bank of America who guarantees my debit card purchases w/ a dispute resolution process. The refunded the money to my account temporarily until their process is completed in investigating the information provided. They said that it takes no more than 10 days and that as soon as the verify the information provided and notify the merchant, there will be a permanent credit back to the account pending the bank receive a signed statement from my husband and me.

Good luck to ya'll who have gotten the shoe from Banfield.

• Ca
    Carla Jul 18, 2008

A family came and bought 2 pups from me 3 weeks ago...healthy happy pups...I still have 4 litter mates here at home. This week she calls crying that they have mange...and it came from me!!! NONE of my dogs have mange and it would have showed before 3 weeks! She had taken the pups to Banfield to get the nails clipped...they REVACCINATED the pups which is dangerous and screws their immune system, and then diagnosed MANGE! She spent $700 with them telling her that her pups would die... by the way mange cost 6 bucks to cure! And then blamed me when the pups had been out of my home for 3 weeks! She sent animal control over here to check my other pups...all of them are fine. I researched everything for her and she still believed petsmart over me her breeder!

ruin my perfect credit history!

I had been a Wellness Plan client at Banfield Pet Hospital in Oxnard, CA for over two years when I decided to...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices