Baja Motorsport / Scooter SC50

United States Review updated:
3.75
Baja scooters seems like a pretty good scooters for very nice price, until they break down. Basically those are single use scooters. First couple of months were great, the scooter was pretty zippy and fast ( especially when you put more air in the tires, use premium gas, and synthetic oil) - mine went over 40 mph couple of times, although i had a wind helping me go forward. I used to ride it everyday to work - around 10 miles one way, and i used it during the weekends because it much faster to get around town than using a car. I was really enjoying it, then out of the blue the scooter wouldn't start.

I quickly learned that PEP Boys DO NOT provide the warranty or any other service for this scooter. If something brakes you will have to contact Baja Motorsport directly. They will try do do anything to avoid taking it back. For starters be prepared to spend 2 days waiting on hold, listening some BS message how great Baja service and support is from Patagonia to Northern Canada. I'm not trying to exaggerate. Once i was on hold continuously for three hours. I think they have only one guy answering all the calls because every time i managed to finally get connected, it was always the same person. They are not happy to hear about warranty repairs. They will keep stalling, ordering, backordering parts, calling you back, i mean NOT calling you back until you will give up. I was told by the service guy that if i need parts i should go to partsforscooters.com - this is where they get their parts too. Nice. I advise you to do the same, skip a middleman, plus they responded for my inquiry through an email pretty fast.

I went on fixing the scooter myself. Once you unscrew any kind of screw, there is a great chance you wont be able to screw it back again. Half of them snapped, on the other half the thread got worn out - they fell out themselves. All rubber seals are so thin and fragile, i advise you not to lift them. My fix was pretty simple, just faulty electrical connector, never-less i had to take apart almost every plastic part of the body and some other components. Be prepared that any simple repair even changing the spark plug requires taking almost half of the scooter apart. It's an engineering nightmare. All the wires are just "hanging" in there, some of them are just taped with electrical tape instead of using proper connectors. Screws are so soft you can bend them in your hands. Oh well, you get what you pay for. For $800 you can't expect much now days.

My advise is: don't buy this scooter. I know, the price is tempting, but keep it mind that year later it will be worth like $200, if you'll be lucky enough that it's still running. I would say, save some money or get a loan and get honda, yamaha or vespa. The resale value on those scooters is great and they are build to last. On top of that they have much better service, and its much easier to get parts.

PS. Baja Motorsport discontinued Baja SC50, many parts become unavailable even through third party resellers.
Se

Comments

Ba
  30th of Apr, 2009
My sister has this cute little scooter...she bought it to 'save money!' She thought that without a car, insurance, gas, etc she could just run around town, take her daughter to school, run to the market, on this scooter.

But...it has been in the shop, to replace a tire valve that broke off while trying to put air in it ($35)...needed a trunk with support for my niece ($70)...and now it has other problems that will require going back to the shop for repairs--noise in front end, brake line leak, and the seat storage lock has vibrated out, so that will be another expense!

Oh, and I had to spend $70 on a Ramp, in order to get it anyplace when it is dead!!

Baja Motorsports is a joke...I (only?) live about 45 miles from them, but have had no reply from them about their service capabilities, and they do NOT answer their phone!!

I fear making Any attempt to repair this machine myself, after reading all the horror stories about this scooter!

Scooter-Buyer Beware!

^^X^^
  6th of Feb, 2010
Do Not Buy From PartsForScooters.com !! They sell very low quality, often defective, parts as "performance parts". They also do not accept returns on these so called "performance parts". Please don't waste your money! Shop elsewhere!!

It is true, they ship out the items extremely fast. Their OEM parts are of Chinese OEM quality. However, these are the only positive things I can say about them.

I ordered a so called "Malossi Performance Variator". I recieved it in three days after the order. The parstforscooters.com website listed Vento Triton under supported models for this particular variator. The part I received does not fit my Vento Triton!! It is a very cheaply made no-name brand, not Malossi. Now they don't want let my get a refund/exchange!!

CONCLUSION: Avoid partsforscooters.com unless you are ordering OEM cheap Chinese parts.
Sc
  31st of Aug, 2017
We carry all Baja Motorsports parts in stock... Give us a call at Scooter Outlet (915) 820-2563 We will be more than pleased to help you out.

Baja Motorsport Logo Baja Motorsport