Badboy Furniture / definitely the first and last time we ever visit a bad boy store

1 Caplan AveBarrie, Ontario, Canada Review updated:

On December 8th, 2007, my husband and I purchased a leather couch, loveseat and chair set from the Bad Boy store located at 42 Caplan Ave in Barrie, Ontario. We were thrilled to find... what we thought was a good quality set... at a reasonable price and very excited to have the set delivered.

On December 11th, 2007, our set came. The delivery men brought the set in, and left without unwrapping it and inspecting the set. While a little annoyed by this, I didn't think anything of it. When the delivery men left, I began unwrapping the set and immediately saw a large gash on the couch (in the material at the bottom) and a gash in the leather on the loveseat! I was a little shocked, especially when these were coming directly from the warehouse and were brand new! We didn't continue to unwrap the items knowing they were damaged pieces.

I called the Barrie Bad Boy store that day and they offered me no assistance and advised me that I had to call the warehouse on Fenmar Drive. I called the warehouse and spoke to a person by the name of Diwanti who wanted me to allow a technician to come to my home to repair the set. Can you imagine my shock when Diwanti said this? This was a brand new set and someone wanted me to allow it to be repaired? I refused repair, advising Diwanti that I had paid for a new, undamaged set and I expected a new, undamaged set to be delivered. Diwanti finally agreed and advised that someone would come to exchange the couch and chair on December 13th.

On December 13th, 2007, two men came to deliver a new couch and chair. The men unwrapped the two pieces of furniture and immediately noticed the couch had a slit in leather. The loveseat appeared to be fine from 5ft away but close inspection showed tiny holes in the leather and another cut at the top of the cushion. We were once again advised by the delivery men to call the warehouse.

At this point, I was at my wit's end. Two separate deliveries, and both times we were given damaged pieces of furniture!

I called warehouse that day, (December 13th) and again spoke to Diwanti, who once again encouraged us to have the damaged unit repaired by technician. I again refused and was not impressed at all that this was happening all over again. Diwanti advised another delivery would be made on December 18th.

On 18th, the same truck dropped off yet another couch, the third couch to be delivered and took the damaged couch. They unwrapped the couch before leaving and advised that if there were any further issues to call the warehouse. After a quick inspection by my husband and myself, we saw another slit in the leather and on the underside of couch. Another slit in the leather of the third couch that had been delivered to our home! You would have thought that after the first two, someone in the warehouse would have first checked the couch before sending it to our house. At this point, we had had enough. We called the Barrie store and left a message for the manager Gerry. He called us back on the following day, December 19th. He said we needed to call warehouse and get a 're-select'. He advised us to use the damaged set over the Christmas holidays and for us to come back into the Barrie store on December 28th to get a new set. He said he would give us a deal on a new set for the major inconvenience we had just endured. The manager advised us that he had a certain set in mind that he said might be more suitable for our family.

We went into the store on December 28th to see this new set that he had chosen and were stunned to see that it us was of considerably inferior quality than the set we had purchased. It was even less money that the one we had purchased. We refused the set he offered and wanted a better leather set - something comparable to the set we purchased. He advised that a new set we had chosen would cost us another $1300.00 on top of what we had already paid.

Where was the promised deal there? We advised Bad Boy that we wanted our money back and for them to come and take the old set away. And once again we were told to, yes, you guessed it, 'Call the warehouse'.

After three defective couches my husband and I wanted our money back so we could shop somewhere else.

How could a company as large and reputable as Bad Boy offer such poor quality furniture and worse, poor customer service! We have had three damaged couches and loveseats delivered to our home, and have had nothing but hassles and broken promises from both the store and from the warehouse.

At the beginning of January, my husband and I wrote and couriered a letter to the CEO of the company Blayne Lastman. We did not hear from him and we were then directed to speak with Omar, the Customer Service Manager at their warehouse. He refused to give us a refund, and said he would personally inspect another replacement couch and loveseat himself and deliver it on Tuesday, January the 22nd and once it arrived to our satisfaction he would compensate us for the major inconveniences. We waited all day for the delivery and then the drivers called me from outside our home and said they didn't want to drive in our driveway in case they got the big truck stuck in the snow. Okay... once again I was a bit upset about the whole thing but these things happen and they were to make another delivery on Thursday, January the 24th. On the 24th the delivery men dropped off the "new" set and they inspected the bottom of the couch themselves prior to bringing it into the house. The driver informed me that this set was also damaged. Not knowing what to do I asked them to bring both pieces inside the house. I explained the situation and the delivery men said it had not been inspected at all. I wrote on the invoice that the items arrived in damaged condition and the drivers definitely witnessed the damage. At that point I jumped on the phone to Omar and was very upset. The driver told me that I should call CEO Blayne Lastman at the Kennedy location to discuss this matter further if I wanted someone to really help me. Mr. Lastman was at that location but failed to take our calls. Soon after the Customer Service Manager called us and told us that the delivery men are not allowed to say anything to the customers about inspections. He then asked me to send him photos of the damaged goods.

As per the Customer Service Manager's request I emailed the photos to the company. I also decided to tape our phone conversations because it was being implied that my husband and I were to blame for this nightmare. Omar responded to the photos with: "I looked at the product, I have been doing this for many years. We ship alot of this product. The one in your living room... I think it sucked. The other three I think there were no issues with them. I think you looked too deep. The picture that you sent me... I have never seen those kind of pictures come from customers. You are never going to get a perfect product. I work in a factory. If you go into the factory and say I want this specification you will get a perfect product. When you get a mass produced product, when they make thousands and thousands of them it is not going to be perfect, okay?".

We then told him again that the couch and love seat had holes, puncture marks and the seams were ripping. He once again said: "You expect more than you purchased". I have several photos that clearly show the damage, and I would be more than happy to share them with anyone who is thinking of purchasing from this company. When I asked if he would buy a new car with dents and scratches on it he clearly said "no". Why are we, the consumer expected to accept leather furniture that is clearly defective? This is not a case of "customer expectations". It is clearly a case of a company that will not stand by their customers or the products they sell.

We have demanded a refund and they want to charge us with a 25% restocking fee on something that was defective from the beginning. They are going to charge us over $400 to take a damaged couch back to their warehouse!! This is absolutely ridiculous!! My husband even offered to have a couch set shipped up to the Bad Boy Barrie location so they could open up a set with witnesses and see what condition it is in. The Customer Service Manager refused and said that we would not find a perfect item. I think that statement speaks volumes.

We think that this matter should have been resolved by Bad Boy but after a month of the run around and the accusations, it is clear that this company will not take responsibility for their products. It is pretty pathetic that we have to post things on the internet in hopes of getting some vindication for being so poorly treated as a consumer. It sickens me to know that this company recently won an award for Toronto Retailer of the year. I heard rumors of their items being re-furbished and of low quality and had I investigated those claims prior to walking through the doors, I definitely would have never purchased from this store.

We have done our part, and we expected Bad Boy to do theirs. To stand by their products and more importantly, their customers. This will definitely be the FIRST and LAST time we ever visit a Bad Boy store. However, it definitely won't be the last time I speak out against this company, as I have filed a claim with the Government of Ontario's Consumer Protection Agency.

Va

Comments

• Ba
      4th of Feb, 2008

Dont shop at Leon's they have the same business practices ( even worse).

• Br
      5th of Jul, 2008

I just purchased 4600.00 worth of new appliances from Bad Boy...I know it is not top end product however it is for a home we will be living in for a few years and we sell the appliances with the home in a couple of years. I was in retail sales for 30 years and people ussually want the cheapest price and highest quality, unfortunately they never not go hand in hand. Any person of sound mind would not expect Bad Boy to be selling high end product. I would like to se the pictures of the defective product before making any assumption of guilt. The old saying "You get what you pay for"

• Ri
      28th of Jul, 2008

Yes the old saying that "you get what you paid for" is true however, after two months of broken promises from the same Barrie store as well as broken promises from the vice president Tony, I still do not have the coffee table that I did pay for. Is this place for real?

I have been trying for weeks now to obtain all of the items that I purchased from the Barrie store. My wife and I purchased a dining room set, a chest of drawers and a coffee table from the Bad Boy store in Barrie on 25 May, 2008 and were told by the salesman that all of the items could not be delevered at once. He then went on to state that it would require three deliveries to get all of the product to us and that there would be no charge to us for all of these deliveries.

The dining room set was delivered on time however, the set was dropped in our home in boxes and not set up at all. Next around one month later the chest of drawers arrived but was damaged and I sent it back. We waited another two weeks with no communication from Bad Boy as to when our remaining furniture would be delivered before I contacted a manager at the warehouse named Tudor. This gentleman was great and got to the bottom of the chest of drawers problem which was then delivered a week later. However, he could not get us an answer on the coffee table. He suggested that I contact the company vice president Tone Bellingham.

This gentleman returned my call and promised to look into the matter and get back to me in a day or two. It is now two weeks since he promised to call and still no phone call! It is now over two months since we purchased this product and we still do not have it! There has been no responce from this supposed higher level of management. I am now at my wits end and I am concidering court action against this company.

I hope that Mel Lastman reads this. For poor quality serviced in my purchase there is nooooooo body like Bad Boy!

19th of Aug, 2008

Bad boy is a real bad boy company. I had ordered a washingmachine and then realized that there was a better one . when i came to return they didnt let me.
    they would take away 25% of the money i paid to them . It was also to come delivered the next week but they called me that we would have to wait a month for delivery.

last time i am going to nobody

• Da
      15th of Oct, 2008

You do get what you pay for and after dealing with Bad Boy it's very obvious you get NOTHING. unfortunately the old saying buyer beware comes into effect when dealing with those shysters.
    Blane Lastman nor any of his family care about our complaints.Their bottom line is what counts and refunding people for inferior products will cut too deep.
    Try taking your problem to Goldhawk fights back because Bad Boy does not want their name muddied all over TV.
    Mr Lastman or any of your family who reads these comments ..you should hang your head in shame...your father taught you better than that.

• St
      9th of Nov, 2008

Several years ago we purchased a complete bedroom set from Bad Boy in Scarborough. Everything arrived but our king bed. After many complaints they finally delivered us bed rails to set our mattress and box spring on. Again waited weeks and contacted them again to inquire about my headboard and footboard (the matching pieces to the entire set I purchased from them). At which point they told me there was a fire at the factory and I could have a queen bed ... I had already purchased king size mattress and box spring from them.
    It's three years later and I still don't have a matching headboard and footboard. I WILL NEVER SHOP AT BAD BOY FURNITURE AGAIN AND I TELL EVERYONE I KNOW TO AVOID SHOPPING THERE.
    I spoke directly to Blayne Lastman about my complaints and got nowhere (just like the reader above indicated). Thanks for nothing Bad Boy...bet your families have matching bedroom furniture sets in everyone of their rooms...if you cared about your customers I would have one too!!!

2nd of Feb, 2009

Just a few comments from an independent furniture retailer who has been in the business most their life. I see and hear these type of complaints about major chain stores on a regular basis, as well as a 'few' bad stories about independents. You will almost always get much better quality and service from a smaller independent store than a chain store. Pricing can also be very competitive with any of the majors at an independent store. Consumers have the misconception that the bigger the store, the lower the price. The low pricing usually comes through misleading advertising and selling cheaper import products of a lesser quality than the better locally made Canadian product. Carefully compare brand names and models and see if there really are any savings when all else is considered.

Just one small example of better service from an independent would be on deliveries. We open everything that comes into our store and fully inspect and carefully re-wrap in our own packing materials before any items go into a customers home. If there is a problem with any item, we have it resolved with the manufacturer before we even call the customer to tell them their order is ready to be delivered.
    We offer free delivery, also fully assemble and set-up in the customers home and remove all packing material. We will also remove any item being replaced by the new purchase. All at no additional charge to the customer.
    If for some reason the customer is not fully satisfied with the purchase, we do whatever it takes to resolve the issue in a timely matter. If it is a full refund (very rare), that is given. We also never charge a re-stocking fee on any return.

Why do we offer this type of service? Most importantly, it is out of customer appreciation for their business that we want to offer the best quality, value and service to build and maintain a reputable relationship.
    Secondly, a happy customer will tell some of their friends about the great service. Alternatively, an unhappy customer will not only tell everyone they know but anyone else whenever they get the opportunity. It just makes good business sense to do it right the first time.
    Lastly, it comes from the past. It is the way most businesses used to run when service came first. We in business seem to be quickly losing the way it used to be.

We may be nearing a time when there will be little other choice than the major chain way of business, where the bottom line becomes more important than the customer. I would recommend to search your area for a local independent where the owner still really does care about who and what they sell. You not only support your local communities but should have a much better overall buying experience.

• Pa
      22nd of Apr, 2009

Welocme to our nightmare! We ordered a suite of leather furniture from the store on Kennedy Rd. We were told delivery would be the end of March...which we agreed to as our relatives from overseas weren't arriving until April 23. The end of March came and went with no call from the store. My husband called the first week of April to be told it would now be the end of April. We spent the next couple of days talking about what to do and we get another call...it is now going to be the end of May...totally unacceptable for our needs. We went back to the store to see if there was anything we liked. Nothing that was in the same price range was suitable for us. We then asked for our money back! We are still getting the run around and have been told that they do not give you your money back! As far as I am concerned I did not break the contract...they did. We did try to find something else and couldn't. They want us to buy a Tv or mattress...which we don't want or need. We want our $850.00 deposit back.
    Please let me end this with we also bought a fridge that makes ice and water...it came without the filter or the cap...had to go to another store to get that. We also bought a HE washer and dryer.
    I have every intention of making this as public as I can. If you can't deliver on your promise...you give back the money! Simple!

• Ar
      22nd of Jul, 2009

Thanks very much for posting your complaints about Lastman's Bad Boy stores. I was so disgusted after reading about your experiences I decided to check out the Better Business Bureau website to see if anybody else has had similar issues with Lastman's Bad Boy stores and to my surprise there were a large number of complaints against this chain of stores. The BBB gives Lastman's Bad Boy stores their absolute lowest rating, an F. Seems to me like Mel and his son, Blayne are just a pair of flim flam operators. I'm so glad I decided to check out their reputation first. Needless to say we will not be spending any of our hard earned dollars at any Lastman's Bad Boy store and will be warning others about them as well.

14th of Aug, 2009

I totally agree. I am looking to purchase new bedroom sets for myself and my daughters room and Badboys is not on my list of places to shop. We purchased a bedroom set for my mother. The day the delivery guys showed up at the house is when it all fell apart. My problem wasn't with the warehouse, it was actually with the delivery men. Instead of them helping eachother they figured they would get the job done fast by each of them taking an item off the truck alone. I watched as he pushed the dressers to the edge and they slide them off of the truck to the ground. When we unwrapped them to take a look, ALL of the hardware had be bent directly into the wood along with the nurimous scratches to follow. When we called the store ( Kennedy location) they offered us a giftcard for $40 to shop in the store for anything we wished...Umm HELLO...have you ever found anything in the store for $40??? discusted with the offer we made it known to which he then replied he could offer us a $150 discount but that would be all he could do for us. After arguing back and forth over the phone several times we finally decided to take as a learning experience and make it known to all of our friends and family to never shop at Badboy and why. I inform everyone i speak to including people I see getting ready to go into the store if im passing in hopes that they don't experience what we did. I was and still am discusted with how they treat and help their customers. That's no way to run a business and Im shocked that they still have one!

• Wi
      22nd of Aug, 2009

Try calling or writing Mel Lastman and see if he cares?!!!
    (416) 413-9900
    33 Delisle Ave
    Toronto, ON M4V 3C7

• Mc
      13th of Nov, 2009

I also echo the sentiment herein. We purchased a Leather Reclining Sofa, matching Reclining Loveseat and 52" Samsung Plasma TV. We spent $5800.00 dollars in the London Location that day. We had the TV warrantied to the max, with the Gold Service Plan. Our furniture however, was not qualified for the Gold Service Plan, so we were somewhat reluctant, but we were assured the products are "Great Quality" by our close friend the salesman, Steve Virag. We were also stunned that the furniture was not immediately available, so we had to wait 6 weeks for our furniture; to be delivered.

Upon the delivery 8 weeks later, we were elated to try our new furniture!...Immediately after reclining for the first time in our new Leather Furniture, we were experiencing dis-comfort in our lower back. We immediately contacted the salesman Steve in the London location, he assured us this problem would be resolved!

We waited for 4 weeks and no call...we then contacted the Store Manager, we were told that " BadBoy Furniture will not authorize the return of the furniture, as alot of people try this scam, as an avenue to commit fraud. I was then told that " a customer retention specialist will contact us, regarding this event".

Again, we waited for 10 weeks with no response. I then wrote a consise registered- letter describing the chain of events and directed the letter to Mr. Mel Lastman, at the Kennedy Road in Toronto location. I quickly received a telephone call by Blaine Lastman, assuring this problem will be resolved, and to contact another Customer Retention Specialist named Archida. Again, to no surprise, no call. We were going on 7 months at this point, we wanted to send the furniture to the store in our truck, through the front window of the store in London, Ontario.

So I resorted to calling Blaine Lastman 5 or 6 times a day on his personal Cell Phone! at the 51st week of this ordeal, I was given an in-store credit for the value of the couches, that was it.

This outfit is not worth the gum stuck to the bottom of my shoe, in the sweltering heat of the nastiest heat wave; the Equator has ever felt!

DO NOT EVER SHOP AT THIS GONG SHOW OPERATION, THE WHOLE COMPANY IS A MOCKERY OF THE 99% OF RETAILERS TRYING TO MAKE A BUCK, HONESTLY!

TAKE THAT!

MEL LASTMAN
    BLAINE LASTMAN
    STORE MANAGER JEREMY, FROM LONDON ONTARIO
    THE SO-CALLED CUSTOMER RETENTION SPECIALIST ARCHIDA
    JOE FRANCIS- BLAINE LASTMANS RIGHT HAND MAN

MY NAME IS ED MCMEEKIN, I AM FROM LONDON ONTARIO. IF ANYONE WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK TO ME REGARDING THIS GONG SHOW OPERATION, FIND ME ON FACEBOOK!

I HOPE YOU READ THIS AT SOME POINT, LASTMAN FAMILY.

• Ra
      14th of Nov, 2009

I purchased an entire living room set (sofa, loveseat & chair) with the TEN YEAR warranty package, knowing I might one day need to rely on this extra insurance with a family of four! This coverage covers stains, rips, cushions sagging and many other amazing things... that BadBoy will NEVER honour.

My first claim was filed in May 2009. I called the number on the back of my receipt and left a message. Days went by without a reply so I called back. I waited a day or two for my "returned phone call", after hearing nothing, I called again. I was having a one way relationship with a voice recording that insisted my phone call would be returned as soon as possible and yet no one ever got back to me.

This pattern of: CALL - WAIT FOR REPLY - SILENCE - CALL BACK has been my entire experience with BadBoy.

At first I wondered if I was being routed through to a dead extension - but 7 months later can safely say that this practice of "not returning phone calls" seems to be a department policy. Not only do they not return your call, but they will refuse to answer the telephone. It begs the question, what is it that these people do all day!?!?!

I consider myself to be a persistent person - but even I am coming to the end of my rope with the lagging negotiations with automated answering machines. I have left message after message, logging over 40 calls to date and any reply/answer/resolution is nowhere on the horizon. How many claims have just "disappeared" because people don't have the time to keep on top of stuff like this. This is fraud!

I will not shopt at BadBoy again, it is not worth the gamble. Look at all the complaints that have been logged in here so far. Once the sale has been made, all the "support" that you paid good money for turns out to be nothing more than smoke and mirrors.

SHAME on BadBoy and their incompetent customer service department!

• Na
      27th of Feb, 2010

Thanks for the valuable info...I just about purchased an entire house worth of furniture for our cottage...thank goodness you have all spoken up.

31st of Mar, 2010

Yes, i had the same sort of "surreal" experience just last Friday, when my wife and i were in the vicinity of the Kitchener store, and were curious to see to the newer models.

W/i about and hour, we had arrived at a "cash-deal" with one of the (too-many) salespersons there. He was making some pretty-good on-the-spot offers, even though we didn't really need something new now.

After a short dinner, we returned to that store with the agreed-upon funds, and guess what? That salesperson spun around with his hand over his mouth, exclaiming, "I never said that! But i'll give you a $50 coupon (if you buy) at the listed prices." (I replied, "What are you laughing at? You're wasting my time.")

Anyway, the up-shot of all of this is that we went to Marten's Furniture yesterday, also in Kitchener, and bought a new living-room set there... as i felt bad for my wife having been "played like that" at Badboy's.

I now recommend Marten's to anyone, especially they who have had the "Badboy's experience". Marten's has regular prices which are half(?) the others, free delivery on EVERY THING in the store, salespersons who "go way out of their ways" to avoid selling a customer on something he/she really doesn't want or need... Derrek was my rep, an all-round honest person. (I went to the trouble to check out some of the fairly-detailed stuff he had told me, before making my payment a few hours later.)

• Rb
      18th of Jun, 2010

bthey also have bed bugs... wonderful huh?

• Ci
      3rd of Sep, 2010

We also purchased a Box Spring and Mattress on August 16, 2009 from Bad Boy on Dundas Street East in Mississauga. The mattress has a 20 year gurantee on it. By August 16, 2010, we noticed the the mattress was starting to sag in the two spots where my wife and I sleep. I was also experiencing back aches due to this sag.We reported this to the customer service people immediately. After some inspector rescheduling, the insector arrived at 7:30 a.m. (not the 9 to 12:00 noon time slot which had been agreed upon).

After the gentleman did his measurements, he informed me that the dip was only a half inch, and that Bad Boy would require at least a one inch dip to address the issue. The one inch dip would happen perhaps in another 6 months or a year.

I can assure you all that I have done my last business with bad boy.

For poor quality and service there is nooooo body like Lastmans Bad Boy!!!

Cindy and Felix,
    Mississauga

3rd of Jun, 2012

Re: Definitely the FIRST and LAST...
    Dear Mr. O'Brien, We are very sorry to hear of your experience at Lastman’s Bad Boy from 2008, the satisfaction of each and every customer is our #1 goal in all our dealings, and your experience certainly does not demonstrate this commitment.

As a retail organization, we receive and ship thousand of pieces of furniture into and out of our warehouse weekly. There are circumstances where the product may be received damaged or might be damaged in transport, certainly a situation we would prefer not to have occur, however regretfully it does. Our commitment is to ensuring the product you receive is in good condition and meets the customer’s expectations.
    Like most retailers, we offer an in-home repair service for small imperfections - these can occur during transport, so a repair technician can work within our customers schedule, saving the customer time and distruptions. In the event that the flaw is not repairable, we gladly replace the damaged product.

In this particular case the Customer care department apparently tried to resolve the issues until we were able to provide you with the product you had purchased and wanted. Our goal would have been forthe first delivery to be 100%, but I am glad to see that the team continued to work with you to resolve the issues.

Lastman’s Bad Boy will always stand behind their products and customers. When there is an issue we do not want to run from it - we want to fix it – our goal is to correct the issues and retain our customers for a lifetime. Offering a refund when issues occur does not allow us an opportunity to make it right.

When product is received into a customer’s home we have a variety of procedures in place to ensure the product is exactly as ordered; a detailed inspection report (property and product damages); a Hotline after-delivery call service; as well as a dedicated team in Customer Care trained in the warranties and products sold at Lastman’s Bad Boy.

There are certainly a variety of issues that seem to have occurred during your experience and for that we apologize, I can assure you that feedback from our customers has always been what helps us improve and bring in better processes.

Since 2008 when this complaint was published we have introduced a fantastic new call system, so all calls are sure to be answered (usually in less than 1 minute) by warranty specialists; we introduced standard inspection forms on delivery; and we ensure that our Warranty specialists are current on all services and manufacturer warranty processes to better serve our customers.

Cindy and Felix,
    If you would consider contacting our Customer Care or your Store (the e-mail link in your complaint does not seem to respond), we would be happy to revisit this warranty issue with you to ensure the mattress continues to perform according to the manufacturer warranty.

FYI: We offer a Sleep Trust Warranty that provides for 30-day trade-outs of mattresses - in case customers would like the option to evaluate the product at home, as well as providing many other protections.
    www.BadBoy.ca

Thank-you for your feedback!

Dear R. Braybrook,
    Lastman’s Bad Boy can say with certainty that there are no bedbugs within our products nor facility. Additionally, we take every precaution to inspect and ensure all products returned from a customer’s home are handled in a manner to ensure compliance with health regulations - as bed bugs are a serious public health concern that we do not take lightly, and work to protect our customers from.