Avis Rent A Car / bait and switch scam
I rented a car from Avis, as they are our preferred vendor despite being priced higher than other companies (kickbacks). Long story short, due to traveling for work, I called our travel agency to book a car with a power seat due to being petite. As it can't be written on the reservations, they in turn called to arrange that (I've been told).
When I arrived in San Diego, my car didn't have a power seat; but the rep there said, "For a few bucks a day, I can find you one with a power seat." Ok, then we had a great conversation, he hit me up for a job with my company, etc. Then he handed the paperwork and said, "Sign here, initial, initial." Honestly, my bad was I didn't look at what he had done. I admit that; however, I assumed a corporate contract and good conversation as well as trusting a large company would mean $5/day, not $75/day on top of the rental fees!
When I dropped off my car and saw the total cost, I was floored. But rushing to my plane, I was unable to address it. I've since called the corporate office and emailed and even contacted the rental location to get a resolution. Corporate office very coolly said, "Well, you signed it." Yes, I take responsibility for that, but in hindsight, the rep's conversation and quick contract signing weren't an accident. I asked why it was such a high upgrade fee, and I was told it was due to being done at the location. I countered that I'd requested a power seat with Concur, and they have a recording of it. Well, that doesn't seem to matter. They also said they'd send this to the "local manager" but were "unable" to give me that manager's name.
I'm appalled that a national company such as Avis would stand behind their reps who flat out lie and misrepresent the contract as well as impose a fee so high. This isn't even my money; it's the company's. But it's the dishonest business tactics that are an issue. I would never have someone represent my company who can't speak the truth. The rep knew the exact amount per day but still chose to say "a few bucks a day." I don't know about you, but to me, $75 does not equal a few of anything! Be very careful and do not book with Avis!
More Avis Rent A Car Complaints & Reviews
- Avis Frankfurt Airport - avis frankfurt airport: unauthorized charges to credit card 
- Avis Car Rental France - improper charges
- Avis Car Rental - outrageous debit on car scratch 
- Avis - insurance fraud, hail damage 
- Avis Rent A Car System, Llc - because of poor customer service, I am now out an expensive pair of glasses! 
- Avis Rent A Car - over charge 
- Avis Budget Car Rental - unauthorized credit card charges/misrepresentation 
- Avis Rent A Car - lost and found / complaints process
- Avis Car Rental - overcharging credit card 
- Avis - rental car mechanical problem