Avis Car Rental / Overcharge and misrepresentation

1 Italy Review updated:

Prior to my recent trip to Italy, I contacted and booked most of my trip on Expedia. As far as a car rental was concerned I asked Expedia what it would cost, approx, for a car rental for two weeks. They sent me an example of a econ. car at $34.00 per day. I reserved a car over the phone. When I arrived in Rome, Italy I took the reserved car at a total price of $750.00 for that time period. During the process of filing out the contract, I asked the woman who helped me, "is this price that you are quoting me in dollars or euros. I asked that question three different times at different stages in the contract. Each time she answered me she confirmed that the contract was in American dollars and not Euros. I rented the car and had a wonderful time driving all over Italy. It was beautiful. Returned the car, signed a hand held computer and it said that I would be charged on my credit card 704.50. I looked at my wife and said, "they charged us less because we returned the car one day early. Off I went to the airport. Several weeks later I got my credit card statement. It said that I charged 1143.50 at Avis. I went crazy. I have been lied to and overcharged by $450.00. What do I have to do to get my money back?

Ph

Comments

• Pa
      10th of Jun, 2009

I agree. My neighbor who barely speaks English came to me after she received her credit card statement which had charges on it for a car she rented from Avis in Texas while visiting her daughter. Her and her husband (an elderly couple) were overcharged $500.00 for insurance even after telling the agent that they did not need insurance because their car insurance covered them anywhere in the U.S. She said she told the agent this several times and trusted him when he gave here the agreement to sign. They live on a fixed income and this was really a rip off. I can't believe that Avis has so little concern for their customers. It infuriates me that Avis has not even responded to their complaint. I am going to try to help them resolve this but I feel that they are up against a brick wall. Any adivce would be helpful.