Auto Vantage & Tlg Great Fun / underhanded business practices!

I had a Juniper/Barclays bank credit card. Soon thereafter I received a check for $8 included in my statement. My husband assumed it was a rebate or rewards check and deposited it in our bank along with our other deposits. Soon thereafter I rec'd a packet in the mail telling me I had enrolled in Auto Vantage (a towing company). They deducted $119.99 from my credit card. I called and threatened to file a complaint with the attorney general's office if they did not reverse the charge. The said they would and gave me a cancellation number. This happened again a charge of $119.99 to that same credit card. I called again and they stated by depositing that check and not reading the fine print on the back I had signed up for TLG Great Fun. I have up to now canceled this thing 5 times. Each time I get a cancellation number and each time when I call back that number is not in their computer along with any indication that I had called at all. I have finally figured out that this company has about 20 different programs and this could go on forever. I have canceled my Jumiper credit card because they are the ones who sent this check in my statement. Each time I have called I have ended up in another part of the country, and several times in Manilla, Phillipines.

I did find out their fax number in Irvine and am tempted to fax them several hundred times to let them know just how I feel about their whole scam... Maybe some of you have had the same experience then I say don't bother to call fax them at [protected]...

Comments

• Ti
      5th of Sep, 2007

I've received a check from my credit card company. There was a small print on the back stating that after the check is cashed or deposited, there would be a charge of $119 to the card. Although these checks STILL keep coming, I plan to cancel it on the expiration year before I get another card again from them.

• Vi
      21st of May, 2008

Hi,

I have received the Memership from Great fun without my notice, and I have called the customer Care and asked them to cancel my membership,
    Customer care agent said that it has been cancelled. though great fun is charging my credit card for everymonth without my authorization.

Whats the hell you guys are doing..Please stop charging my credit card immediately..and stop cheating the people..

I requested my credit card company to stop authorizing you to charge further..

I really dont understand why this happens..explain me..

and please credit what ever amount debited from my account ASAP..

Thanks
    Nageswar

• F2
      25th of Nov, 2008

I have gone through the first step on this scam. I ordered from Haband something with a $5 refund. I received a check for $5 and assumed it was the refund and cashed it. Did not read the back. Later I received two more checks for $10 that I didn't expect. Then I read the small print on the back and tore up the checks. The print was so small that I could hardly read it. Called Visa. They called AutoVantage and I spoke with them with Visa listening. They tried to sell me the membership, but I insisted on a refund. Then they shifted me to the "Refund Dept." and I got a refund number. Now I suppose they will not actually refund my $149.99, and I have to take more action. The company is clever enough to have a refund department that makes Visa think that the complaint has been settled, and so Visa will not put the charge in dispute. We'll see what happens next, but I'm not giving up.