AT&T / Sbc / call to india - $7.00/minute

1 United States

When I joined with AT&T, they told me the rates to call to India, which was less than $0.40/minute. We made some calls and when the bill came, the rate was $7.00/minute. The same day I called the customer service and complained. The guy who was answering the phone, assured me that the rate will be adjusted as he put the information in the computer, while I was talking with him.

The next month bill also came with the same amount, in addition to the late fees. Again I called the customer service to find out the reason. At that time she told me that I didn't call the customer service to activate the connection, before making the calls. I never knew that you have to call the phone company before you make calls. But, according to AT&T, we have to get their approval before we do anything, including making a phone call. The final call to AT&T made it clear that I have to pay that money, if I want to keep the phone line, which I ended up doing.

Here the big companies eat up the small ones to make their own rules under a monopoly and the government doesn't do anything to cover the consumers. There should be at least 3 companies to compete and they shouldn't be allowed to merge or do business together. That's the only way the American people are going to enjoy the freedom they have in this country.