AT&T / attempted to change contract!

Sacramento, United States Review updated:
4.55
Phone: 800-288-2020
Signed up for Dish Network through AT&T over the phone after their website kept giving errors. Wife and I were looking for specific channels and was offered a package deal. The Dish deal was suppose to be $37.99 a month after a $10 discount wed receive each month for a total of 18 months with free DVR, 200 channels, free installation, $25 target gift card, and $50 credit on next bill.

Now the fun starts. The tech that came to install the dish puts the dish on the roof where he was told not to as the roof was foam and that the only place that would support it correctly was the wall. Tech put it on the roof anyways angering my landlord. When the tech gave me the papers to sign I looked at them carefully and noticed it was a new contract showing 180 channels not 200, different rates, so I drew a line through each page, said I didn't approve and the tech gave me copies and left.

More fun starts now when the DVR shuts off through half the shows, and channels we were suppose to get we didn't. I call up dish network and am informed that Id have to pay an additional $5.00 for the baby channel and also $10 more for the top 250 to get the channels we were suppose to get when we signed up the first time. When the rep told me that the price will be $59.99 I informed them that $37.99 + 15 doesn't come to $59.99. The rep now tells me that the price is $59.99 and that I am only getting $10 off for only 10 months and that I'm under contract for 18 months. When I told them the $10 discount is for the entire 18 months, I was told that their rates can change without notice, and that what AT&T offered was over ridden when I signed the new contract given to me by the installer. I informed them I in fact did now sign it, and when I was told my verbal acceptance when ordering can be used, I said 'Sure, then you will have to give me the services I paid for and the discounts as that recording is the contract as you stated and binding' By the way, I was transfered to the executive office who said I had to hash this out and if I canceled Id be charged for early termination of contract. I then told them to look at account history in which he then informed me he cant talk to me and that Id have to talk to AT&T's legal dept come Monday.

What brought that about, and now I know DISH&AT&T are very connected is that back in New York back in 1989, I had taken AT&T who was under another name at the time to court and won not once but twice for an incorrect bill and misleading contract. The executive saw the note and that ended that conversation.

So to sum this all up, don't trust Dish Network or AT&T as what they offer over the phone they try taking back by tricking the customer into signing a new contract upon installation.
Va

Comments

Je
  12th of Apr, 2008
The same thing happened to me my package included Phone Internet dish & cell for $99.00 (200 )channels + Free HBO when the dish arrived they had me signed up for 100 channels they charged an extra charge for HBO and Ciniamax with rebates for all instillation and 2 gift cards. None of this was true. My 1st
Bill was over $200.00 when I called to inquire why I was told well we signed you up for >>> Not what I ordered and guess what now you monthly bill will be $158.00 Not $99.00 Line charges $5.00 extra packages $20.00 extra box that was not free @ all $5.00 typical bate and switch. Their needs to be a class action suit against this kind of business tactic with the FCC involved.
  17th of Jul, 2008
Well I certainly wish I had seen your site a few weeks ago. I signed up for Dish network through AT&T on the phone because of a flyer I was sent in the mail that sounded like a good deal. Many hours of phone calls later, not to mention emails, I have still not managed to get AT&T to bill me properly for the promotion I ordered. In fact AT&T can't remember their own flyer. Or that particular promotion. Which by the way was good sent in May 2008, and was for Dish network added to your bundle, sign up for a period of 2 years, at the rate of $29.00 for 1 TV with a free DVR, or upgrade to two TVs for 34.99 a month, no hidden fees, so said the sales person. I was to get money back in 3 installments, and it was for the America's favorite !00 Channels. I'm exhausted and angry. Bell South was a company with some integrity. Don't even ask me what I think about AT&T. Life has enough problems in it. I don't need this one. Oh by the way there is a $200.00 dollar fee if you cancel the Dish network before the 2 years are up. I can not believe I signed up to save money, and am getting less programming than I had before and paying the same amount of money. This is beyond absurd, it is evil.
Ba
  3rd of Sep, 2008
So where do you go from here? I've been battling them for over a year for an installation that never took place, after four missed half day appointments and over 20 hours on the phone and now I find they've damaged my credit for charging me for installation services I never got. How do you get resolution?
Mb
  16th of Mar, 2009
Similar things happened to us. We signed up for Dish through AT&T. Dish was supposed to be free for a year, but we were billed for it anyway. My husband called and was told that the rep didn't sign him up for the right package to get dish free, so he was SOL. I called and the rep I spoke to cleared everything up, so I thought. Long story short, we are still getting billed for it, I keep getting shuffled around from one office to another and our dish got shut off for nonpayment. And dishnetwork won't deal with us directly unless we get things straightened out with AT&T. I filed an FCC complaint yesterday, but I doubt anything will come of it.
Lm
  7th of Apr, 2009
This is really getting ridiculous! I bought Dish Network services through AT&T and I didn't know they were entering me into an 18month contract. 5 months later AT&T solicits me to "upgrade" to their U-Verse cable service. How can they sell me a different service 5 months after they sold me an 18 month contract?? I figured any contract would just be voided by them selling me an upgrade. Then the installers told me to throw out the dish equipment, they couldn't use it. Now Dish Network is charging me $800 for the equipment that AT&T told me to throw away! Also, a contract cancellation fee!!! I didn't even know Dish was a separate company from AT&T. I figured AT&T owned Dish. I'm going to have to go to court. Wish there was a class action suit!!!
Ti
  26th of Apr, 2010
wow!!! i too have been swindelled my at&t/dish network. i had simular service argreements as did you all. i also paid an extra 50.00 at signing to opt out of any early cancellation fees but dish network has but me in collections for 200.00 cancellation fee. i have written to the ftc and fcc but looks like class action suit is the only way out i guess. im not an attorney and it seems like we have zero rights and at&t /dish have all the rights and goverment in there hip pocket.
Je
  11th of Nov, 2010
ATT has now stopped selling dish netowrk service, though our contract was just up. I have been on the phone for 20 days trying to ship this equipment back, they lie every time saying that it will be here in 5-10 days, still nothing. They lied about the price, ATT said 105.00 a month for phone, internet, and dish, it was never under 160 and even went as high as 180.00 a month. We finished out our contract and they owe us a 60.00 refund for a partial month. Ive been told by a few their waiting till after a 30 period to return the equipment and they they will keep our refund and bill us for not returning the equipment. Every phone call to them they lie and I have recorded every phone call to them. DO NOT TRUST ATT OR THE DISH NETWORK!!! Now a friend of mine has fallen to those offers of 29.00 a month and is going through the same thing. She is now paying 79.00 for 120 channels. RIP OFF. I have chosen to pursue this in a federal court.
De
  12th of Feb, 2014
I contacted Dish Network a few months ago, I spoke with a very nice, informative gentleman. He said in order to receive the discounted pricing he would have to run my credit to see if I qualified; I did. He then told me he had to transfer me to a "bundle expert" that would go over everything with me. Upon transfer the lady stated different pricing and different companies they would be partnering with to provide me service. They said AT&T would provide the land line and I objected because I have had service with AT&T for 7 1/2 yrs. I explained to her what the guy had told me, she said "he doesn't know what he is talking about, I am the bundle expert". My fiancé and I decided that because of her unprofessional rudeness, we would decline making any changes at that time and I told her this. A few days later, I received a call from an AT&T tech who was trying to hook up phone service. I told him I already had phone service, he was no to make any changes to my service or ph #. After speaking with him for several minutes, he said that AT&T must have gotten the order mixed up with another. It was not until yesterday when I received a call from Diversified Collections that AT&T had turned me over to collection on an account not only was NOT mine but for a ph # that was not even active. After 2 hrs on the phone with their fraud dept, they emailed me a letter stating that my bill had been credited $114.43 and they apologized for the inconvenience. I spoke with Diversified this morning and the amount AT&T turned over to collection isn't even the correct amount that was credited on this account.. Diversified said if AT&T does not adjust the correct amount that this account will be reported to the credit reporting agencies. How is it that ST&T can fraudulently open new service under my name and social # without my knowledge OR permission and then attempt to ruin my credit which is in very good standing at a 787 fico score? I didn't acquire this rating by being negligent. I have been advised to contact CPUC and the Federal Trade Commission office. What they have done is illegal/unlawful.
De
  12th of Feb, 2014
After several hrs of frustrating time spent being passed from one dept to another AT&T fraud dept emailed me a letter stating that the account opened under my info was adjusted and closed, the amount of the adjustment did not match the amount they turned over to collections against me. Keep in mind this is an account opened without my knowledge or consent. They now are telling me that the amount of the adjustment is $114.43 and I will have to deal with Diversified on the remaining $12.33. They committed a crime against me and in my opinion, this is considered fraud. If it were an individual committing such an act, we would be punished in the courts and would have to pay a fine, serve jail time or both. This is no different than someone stealing another persons identity; the only difference is we are dealing with AT&T who apparently is exonerated from being held accountable for committing identity theft or other criminal acts against individuals/consumers.

AT&T Logo AT&T