AT&T / selling a product (u-verse) they cannot actually provide

United States, Illinois, Carol Stream
Carol Stream
My girlfriend and I waited quite some time before At&t claimed that their U-Verse package was finally available where we live(Carol Stream, IL). Last week our apartment complex left fliers outside everyone's door stating that an At&t sales person would be in the office over the weekend to sign people up. So my girlfriend goes and signs us up for the U-verse Cable & Internet package.

Two days later we receive a phone call from At&t telling us that they made a mistake & U-Verse actually is not available for our apartment. There is apparently some technical issue with some apartments being able to receive the service, and some not being able to. They told us to go with Comcast until this issue can be resolved, then to come back to them.

I understand mistakes happen but wow is that a colossal screw up. It would be one thing if we signed up over the phone and then they called and told us this, but a salesman was THERE at the apartment complex signing people up(us included) with SERVICE AGREEMENTS. Now I've heard the old saying about people who assume & I know how dangerous that can be. However none of my assumptions are ever THAT far from the realm of reality. Call me crazy, but when a salesman works out a deal with an apartment complex to sell internet & cable to EVERYONE there, then yes I am going to have to assume that company would have already sent a tech to each and every building to check and make sure all are potentially eligible for this product. Such a wacky though right? Boo At&t. You stink.

AT&T Logo AT&T