Asurion / poor cell phone insurance

1 IN, United States Review updated:
Phone: 866-268-7221

T-Mobile offers 3rd party insurance (Asurion) for lost or broken cell phones at a low cost of $5.99 per month. On Feb. 14, 2009 my cell phone was stolen. Feb. 15th I filed the claim with Asurion via the phone. At that time Asurion told me the phone was not in stock and I would be contacted when it was in stock (Blackberry Curve). The customer service rep couldn't even give me an indication if it would be re-stocked in days, weeks, or even months.

Feb. 20 again contacted Asurion to determine if the phone was in stock, it was, paid the $130 deductible via credit card and waited for the phone to arrive via UPS. Feb. 28th again contacted Asurion to check up on the shipping status since the phone had not arrived. Asurion said it did not ship and again processed the order so it would ship. March 9th again followed up with Asurion to check the shipping status of the phone. Again Asurion said it did not ship and again they processed the order to have the phone shipped.

I gave up and bought a new phone. The insurance is worthless because Asurion could not provide me with a replacement phone in a timely fashion. Who want's to wait over 20 days to get a replacement phone. My suggestion is do the research and pick a different cell phone insurance company. Worth paying slightly more to have better service.

Comments

• Jp
      4th of Feb, 2010

I had Asurion through Verizon. And while I usually have nothing but good to say about Verizon, their choice of affiliating with Asurion makes me question them!

I found Asurion's protocol during my claim as designed to dissuade me from continuing with the claim and just buy a new phone!

The claim has since been completed (5 calls later) and I have canceled my Asurion insurance.

This is a scam people! Don't sign up!

You pay 5.99 a month and when you need a phone you do not get one. BEWARE!

• Di
      6th of Mar, 2010

I agree that assurion is a huge ripoff. I have had to submit 2 claims with them over lost phones? Both times I was sent inferior phones that always seemed to break after the 7 day return period had passed. On the 2nd occasion, the lost phone was found about one month later and coincidentally about the same time that the piece of junk they sent went belly up. When I took the orignal phone back to Verizon to reestablish service on that phone. I was told that the ESN on my phone had been blocked by Assurion and a call to them revealed that my original (lost) phone now belonged to them and I must send it to them immediately. I offered to send them back their replacement phone and keep my original which they adamantly refused to do. I have been a longtime customer of Verizon and their association with Assurion leaves me puzzled about what type of business practices Verizon is now employing