Associated Bank / Solicitation Illegal or Not?

1 Eau Claire, WI, United States Review updated:
Phone: 1-800-236-8866

Solicitation Illegal or Not?

I was shopping at Mega Foods West (Eau Claire, WI) where a gal from Associated Bank (the in store bank) approached me and persuaded me into opening a free checking account. She told me that the bank is offering free checking accounts, with no fees or charges, and if I wanted I could just use this account as a savings account. I opened the account and ordered a box of checks. Months later the bank changed their policy and now charge a $5.00 fee per month if I do not actively use this account. I stopped at the bank today and asked them to refund me for my box of checks and the $10 fee (2 months x $5) that they charged me, which they refused to do. I therefore closed this account. I feel that Mega Foods West and Associated Bank should be liable for the way in which they solicited their customers and then intentionally change their bank policy! How many other people did they get the same way they got me? It is not really the issue of the money but the way in which this banking business made their money. If you too have noticed this extra charge on your statement please contact me.

Please find attached:

The Federal Reserve
State Attorney General
Associated Bank
Mega Foods West

Comments

• El
      23rd of Jun, 2012

Well if you already had an account elsewhere you could have simply NOT opened the new account.
    Changing the rules is what banks do. That is why I use credit unions instead.
    You could simply use the account (put money in or take it out regularly) or close the account.

Frankly I am confused as to why this is the banks fault and not yours for getting an account you didn't need. It is no different than Applying for a store credit card while out shopping then finding out that it has a 19-22% interest rate.

• Gi
      23rd of Jun, 2012

I agree that this is annoying and sketchy and a downright slimy way of doing business. Unfortunately, banks are in the business of making money, not helping people. I strongly concur with Elizabeth Kay regarding credit unions...so much so that I have accounts with three different credit unions in two states. I have never had my accounts messed up because of a change in credit union policy. In regard to your specific situation, the grocery store (and this goes for nearly all stores with banks in them) leases the space to the bank and the bank, in turn, gets "stomping ground" rights to the store. This is why you were accosted while trying to pick up groceries. Banks love grocery stores because the store funnels customers directly to them without any effort. Slimy, slimy, slimy...and they do it in the name of "convenience" and "serving the customers needs". I am very sorry that you were taken advantage of by a bank. I would take the complaint directly to the president/CEO and not let up until they apologized for being slimeballs.