ASF International / Harassing billing

1 640 Plaza Drive, Ste. 300Highlands Ranch, CO, United States Review updated:
Phone: 800-525-8967

In March of 2008 I joined a self-defense class (Krav Maga). I loved the class but was injured while mountain biking and injured my ribs. The injury was severe enough to keep from the gym so I cancelled my membership over the phone with ASF. I was assured there was no problem at this time. Then in May of 2008 I started receiving threatening letters from ASF claiming my injury was not reason enough, according to the contract, to discontinue my membership. On 5/19/08 I sent ASF a letter in response to their claim and then followed it up with a phone call to ASF on 5/20 but got transferred around to so many people I gave up.
Since then I have received at least four more threatening and harassing letters, each time I respond it is ignored, Now
ASF is threatening me with collections and other legal action.

At this point I feel like I am banging my head against a wall! No one at ASF seems able to understand that I will not pay for a service which I physically cannot use! If you can help, great, if not, please don't waste my time.

I thank you in advance!!
David

Comments

25th of Jul, 2008

I'm trying to cancel my membership with ASF at this very moment- I'm on hold :) Every time I call, I am on hold for at least 20-30 minutes. I signed up at LA Boxing in Carlsbad, CA and the "terms of the contract" were verbally explained to me at the time of signing. Of course, there is a severe detachment as I was told if you moved more than 15 miles away from a location, became unable to particiapte in boxing or just wanted to cancel the membership and pay $50 I would be able to do so. HA!

I provided documentation stating I would be more than 15 miles from a location as I was moving and they denied my request for cancelation because my "reasons stated in [my] application cannot be found in the terms and conditions of your Retail Sales Contract." Of course when I called, they don't have a copy of my contract and I was never given one at the time of signing- yes I should've asked for a copy but that's water under the bridge at this point.

So I called LA Boxing and had a copy faxed to me. You have to become PERMANENTLY DISABLED, OR MOVED 25 MILES AWAY FROM A LOCATION! I noticed the Club Representative never signed the contract so if they want to get technical, the contract was never officially executed.

I feel as you do. No one can help me! ASF said they aren't responsible for what was verbally explained to me and LA Boxing says they can't do anything in terms of cancellation- I have to discuss this with ASF. My credit card company, Chase, is now saying they can't help me and this whole thing is unconscionable! It's not right how ASF runs their business and someone needs to put them in the corner!

27th of Jan, 2009

First and foremost, ASF International does not simply cancel a membership over the phone. A written request is required by the member's agreement that they signed with the specific facility they attend. Also, this sounds as though Mr. Allen did not meet the requirements outlined in the agreement he signed with the martial arts facility to cancel.

Chris Peterson
    Customer Relations Manager
    ASF International

• Ne
      9th of Mar, 2009

Personally I feel that these retorts from ASF employees are as valid as their contracts. I was put into a year contract with my local gym, Fitworks, with the understanding that I could get a few cheap months out of it before I moved away to college some 25-30 miles away. At the time, the contract stated that anything more than 20 miles was a reason to cancel, in which case, it seems as if these people at ASF have been bleeding my already declining bank account dry. I've had to open up a credit card account simply to pay for books and clost of living because they're taking 25$ a month out of my bank account. I know that doesn't seem like much, but for a college student that gets paid 100$ every 2 weeks, trying to live off of the little money he has, thats my lifeblood! I agree that this is completely and utterly unacceptable, and to add, unconscionable. To take money from an already poor client is disgusting to me. I would really like to see this company with their foot in their own mouth, and I plan on seeking legal action if it comes down to it.

This is sick and unacceptable

• Ni
      27th of Mar, 2009

This company is a fraud and there a a million people with the same thing to say. I signed up for a free 30 day membership to be cancelled at anytime. I cancelled via email hours after I joined. Then I received a letter in the mail stating I was past due. I followed up with a letter in writing that I had cancelled my membership within the 30 day period. Now I receive a bill for $226.oo. I tried calling customer service and they gave me the run around and even tried to get more information from me. Agravation not needed. I agree with you about seeking legal action. Why not a civil suit?