Applebees / racial intimidation!

On Saturday September 29th, my husband and I, and 8 other friends went to the Roseville Applebees on Gratiot around 10pm. This is a tradition that the 10 of us do every other Saturday, we have been going there for the last year after our saturday bowling. Normally things go pretty well but this night was horrible. My husband is black and I am white, all the others are white also. We were sitting on one side of the table with 4 others and the other 2 couples were on the opposite side. I ordered the nachos for my friends with chicken instead of beef, and made some other changes, I preceded to order one that exact same way for my husband and I, when the waitress brought them out, the other couples food was perfect and my nachos had beef, how could she not tell the difference, it was very noticeable. So I had to send them back and wait another 20 minutes to get the correct order, she offered no apology. Then I ordered a salad, with my steak meal. In the meantime, the other couples got refills on their drinks, and we did not. The waitress then brought my food, the steak was suppose to be medium well, it was medium rare and she never brought my salad. When I told her about my salad she never offered to bring it. Another thing that happened was my friend that was sitting across from me order a greek salad, the salad came out with no dressing and no feta cheese, she told the waitress and she brought the feta out, but no dressing, my friend had to send the whole salad back and she didn't get the eat because by then we all were almost finished. By that time, the others got a 3rd refill and my husband and I got NO refills. When I asked for service she pretty muche refused to help me with things, like my steak, my salad not coming, my nachod being made wrong, no refills on my drink... Now I really feel that because she was a black female and I was a white female with a black man that she gave us horrible service. MY friends also felt that way also, they could see the difference with their service and food, compared to mine. I am deeply offended by this racial experience. I hope that applesbees is not turning into another Dennys when in comes to interracial couples and black people. I love applebees and their food I go there at least twice a month with friends for dinner and at least once a month for lunch with my sister. But now I am not sure I want to give my business to a company that allows this to happen. I hope that is can be taken care. Everyone I have told about this experience say they are very appalled and hopes that someone takes care of this situation. They also do not know if they should go back to a restaurant that allows this.

Comments

• 86
      30th of Jun, 2009

• Wi
      27th of May, 2011

It's not the restaurant, it's the individual, she was intimidated by the fact that " a white woman is with a black man", her personal feelings toward the matter got the better of her and caused the occurrence. I recommend if you go there again, which I do not suggest, but never the less request another server if she happens to be the server, or try another location...

• La
      20th of May, 2014

"Since you frequent the place, the server may have known or been told that you didn't leave a good tip at one time... so they had other priorities. That's why you should always leave a good tip..."

How do you know that she DIDN'T leave a good tip? There is never an excuse for poor service.