Angel Investment Network / Job listed on Craig's List

PA, United States Review updated:

I replied to a job listing on Craig's list and included my resume, for an Admin Personal Assistant to and email address [protected]@hotmail.com. A couple of days later I recieved what I thought was a very odd email from someone named Marc Hanson - he signed off on the email as Dr. Marc. I was suspicious immediately, and after discussing it with several friends, decided to do a little research. That is where I came across all the scam reports for the Angel Investment Network, thankfully.
It scares me to think that I sent my resume to this individual listing my address, phone, job history and references. I don't really know how to respond, or whether to just delete the email and forget it, chaulk it up to experience and be thankful I didn't get in deeper.

Sn

Comments

Mar 10, 2010
    Angel Investment Network - SCAM!!!!
    Kentucky

i found this job listing on craigslist.. wow this is crazy!!! here is the email that was sent to me... i hope this helps

Hello,

Thanks for applying for the post, I quite I appreciate it. I received and read your e-mail and it's reasonable and acceptable. So I will give this a go.

I'm looking for someone that can be trusted and reliable, someone with good understanding and working skills.

I am mr marc, 54 yrs of age, I'm a lawyer by profession and I have been pretty successful in a handful of ventures I get involved in; from the Angel Investment Network in Canada and United State to various welfare and community service programs. I most very often get my hands occupied, so it is imperative for me to have a worthy assistant who can monitor and keep me up to date with my activities.

This position is home-based and flexible, working with me is basically about instructions and following them. My only fear is that I may come at you impromptu sometimes, so i need someone who can be able to meet up with my irregular timings.

As my personal assistant, your activities among others will include:

*Create and modify documents using Microsoft Office
    *Running personal errands, supervisions and monitoring.
    *Scheduling programmes, flights and keeping me up to date with them.
    *Acting as an alternative telephone correspondence while I'm away.
    *Making regular contacts and drop-offs on my behalf.
    *Handling and monitoring some of my financial activities..
    *Basic wage is $550 a week .

QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:

*Good planning, communication and organization skills
    *Must be honest, reliable & dependable
    *Excellent verbal & written communication skills
    *Must have strong problem solving skills
    *Must be organized & extremely detail oriented
    *Experience working with the internet, email, MS Excel and MS Word
    *Ability to multi-task and self manage/24/7 mindset
    *A willingness to do whatever needs to be done is a must

NOTE: The above qualification requirements can also be learnt if you are willing to take up the challenges.

I'm sure you'll understand I tend to have a very busy schedule at this point as I am presently in germany for a summit. I will be back in Three Weeks time.

I think you're the right person for this post, Please note that this position is not office based for now because of my frequent travels and tight schedules. It's a part-time, work from home basis and the flexibility means that there will be busier weeks than others. So it's a little difficult judging the exact number of hours you'll be doing per week. If you can manage your time properly, this job may even give you some extra while you do something else on the side. As I have said, I'd want us to get a head start with things as soon as possible. I do have a pile up of work and a number of unattended chores which you can immediately assist me with. I hope we can meet up with the workload eventually. Permit me to use the coming week to test your efficiency and diligence towards all this, also to work out your time schedule and fit it to mine. I really need to find the perfect person for this job and i am confident you can take up the challenges. On the long run we should have a relatively sound working relationship between us.

I'm online most of the time as I am hard of hearing so I prefer we contact each other through E-mails but if there is need for me to call, I will be glad to do that. I am glad you are willing to work with me and i promise to be a good boss. I am also glad on the commitment in working. I have been checking my files and what i would want you to do for me next week is to run some errands out to some of the orphanage home which I do every month. The funds will be in form of Cashier check, it will be sent over to you from one of my clients and i have some list to email you once you received the funds. You will make some arrangements by buying some stuff for the kids in the nearest store around you so you can mail them out. I will get you more information on that.

PLEASE FILL THE APPLICATION FORM BELOW:

Zip Code:
    Cell Phone Number:
    Home Phone Number:
    Email Address:

Once I have received your application form, I will get back to you with the task for next week. Please understand that you will also be paid as well as its important for me to make the necessary steps before i get back from my business trip. I hope i am clear with that?

NOTE: This position is home-based and flexible part time job, you can be in any location, work from your home doing all the activities.

POSITION/AVAILABILITY:

Position Applied For_________________

How often do you check your email:______________

Specify the hours that you will be available if my schedule doesn't work with the hours i requested

Days/Hours You will be available:

Friday ____
    Saturday ____
    Sunday ____

Hours Available: from _______ to ______

What date are you available to start work?________________

Please get back as soon as possible...

Mr marc.

• Kh
      Mar 22, 2010
    Angel Investment Network - Craigslist Employment Scam
    Montreal
    Quebec
    Canada

I, too, applied for a job as a personal assistant and received an email similar to the ones I found here. In my case, "Mr. Backlays" was being a bit more careful than in the past and did not ask me for information...

I have notified the Canadian authorities.

This is what I received:

Hello,

Thanks for your interests in the PA position i posted on CL, I deeply appreciate your genuine efforts on applying for this job position.

I just went through your resume and i think you have all it takes to be employed for this job position, I need PA to help me monitor and keep up to date with all my activities.I have had a previous PA who has been very commendable in her activities and who has been part of my life for the past 6 months, she has since returned to her country. I sincerely hope I will be able to find someone again who will be as efficient as she has been.

I'm Barry Backlays, 54 yrs of age, originally from Chicago, Illinois, I spent a whole lot of my life in Canada. I'm a lawyer by profession and I have been pretty successful in a handful of ventures I get involved in; from the Angel Investment Network in Canada and United State to various welfare and community service programs, I most very often get my hands occupied, so it is imperative for me to have a worthy assistant who can monitor and keep me up to date with my activities.

As my assistant, your activities amongst other things will include.
    *Running personal errands, supervisions and monitoring.
    *Scheduling programs, flights and keeping me up to date with them.
    *Acting as an alternative telephone correspondence when I'm away.
    *Making regular contacts and drop-offs on my behalf.
    *Handling and monitoring some of my financial activities.

Basic wage is $500 a week

This position is home-based and flexible, working with me is basically about instructions and following them, my only fear is that I may come at you impromptu sometimes, so I need someone who can be able to meet up with my irregular timings.There is also a very sensitive issue on trust and accountability which I believe will resolve itself as time goes on. This is only an introductory e-mail, as time goes on we should be able to arrange a proper meeting to get things started officially.

I'm currently in the UK now for a summit, however, I do have a number of things you could help me with this week if you will be available for me. This can act as a stable foundation to our working relationship.

Hope to hear from you again.

Cheers.

Mr. Barry Backlays

• Ni
      Apr 01, 2010

same exact thing i got... except from mr.campbell 54 yrs old...what can they do with our info like addresses?

Apr 09, 2010

This person is still at it. I was fooled at first too, but when he started talking about sending a cashiers check it set of an internal warning!!! Thanks for the post, you confirmed what I thought. He is using the name of Frank Palmer.

Apr 12, 2010

WHAT A SCAMMER!!! GLAD WE ALL CAUGHT ONTO HIS LIES AND SCHEMES BEFORE LOSING ANY MONEY!

• Wa
      Jul 05, 2010

I applied for a PA to Adriana De Witt - as with you it was too good to be true - I received word for word the same e0mail as you did - and a week later a second e-mail telling me I had the job - and he would send me funds to start work for him - I am contacting the FBI as this is fraud - I'll keep you all up to date

• Wa
      Jul 05, 2010

Has anyone gotten the second e-mail that says your hired and he will send money in the mail??

Jul 05, 2010

I received an email telling me i was hired and would be sent a fed ex with monies and instructions once i acknowledged his email.
    i ignored it and two days later received a fed ex with a cashiers check for $5000 telling me what to do with it all.
    I ignored it and never did anything and didnt respond.
    I called the local police and asked if I needed to report the scam. They said it would do no good because there are millions of internet scams and they dont have the manpower to track it all. she said to just ignore it and he would move on to the next person. she was right.

• Kv
      Aug 01, 2010

I applied for a personal assistant job on Kijiji canada to a woman named Shannon Decker (lawyer) she wanted me to work for her as her assistant. After thinking this was e legit job we e-mailed each other with different information and out of nowhere i decided to google her, and it came up as a scam... She now has all my personal and private information, what do i do? should i call the cops?? i have no idea what to do I'm just glad i found out before anything illegal went down

• Kh
      Sep 21, 2010

And John P. Archer too. This person is pathetic.