Ancestry.com / deleting account

Ancestry.com refuses to remove my account and personal information from their website (after a relative kindly created the account for me). After requesting that they delete my account, here is the response:

"... as the Registered Guest accounts are designed to give unlimited access to our free services, there is not an established method to cancel these accounts. When you have concluded using your Registered Guest account, simply discontinue your use. You will never be charged. We hope that you enjoy your Registered Guest account with Ancestry.com. Other types of participation on Ancestry.com may require a paid account. "

Translation: we will never delete your personal information, so stop asking and be grateful that we won't charge you for it.

Avoid this website like the plague. These kind of shady practices are despicable.

Comments

• Ge
      25th of Feb, 2011

Yeah, I don't really like that policy either. If you're really finished with Ancestry.com, then there are a few things you can do, however.

First, download your tree as GEDCOM file. This will allow you to still have access to it later (you'll need a Genealogy program to read it, but it doesn't have to be Ancestry.com). There's a tutorial about it here: http://www.familytreeshortcuts.com/the-site/export-your-family-tree-as-a-gedcom/

Then, delete your tree. The link to do so right underneath the Download GEDCOM button.

Then, click My Account at the top of the screen. On the right, you can then update your personal information like your email address, your mailing address, your phone number, etc. Now, you can't delete this, but you can change it to be information that is totally incorrect. This way, your account will live on in the Ancestry.com system, but none of the information on it will be correct.

• Ni
      30th of Dec, 2015

Ancestry is a scam and racist operating business out of Utah .

• Ut
      6th of Jun, 2016

I was stupid enough to open a Ancestry guest account. This is VERY SCAM! I tried to cancel my guest account but this is impossible. Very chip trick! Ancestry.com is chip, lying, low profile money sucking “company”. I tried to call but there is answering “too many calls”. Sure! The website doesn’t give any option to cancel account. There is no option at all. All they need to suck your money and no escape. I will do everything possible on all websites to tell about my experience.