Ancestry.com / unauthorized charges

These people continuous charge your credit card without authorization after you join. I strongly suggest you do not join this site. It is not worth it. If anyone else used you credit card without your consent it would be FRAUD. They should be stopped!!!

Wx

Comments

31st of Jan, 2009

The company may operate using several names. When purchasing certain copies of Family Tree they will offer a free three month to one year subscription of their service. You will be asked for a credit card in order to validate the 'free' service. Once they get your number they will then charge you in the future for subscription service. My charge was $163.17. I never received a notice and did not know about the charge until I received my credit card statement.

The company telephones are open a limited number of hours and even then after repeated calls I was always told there would be a 'nine minute wait'. The internet site they have will not let you delete the credit card number from their files. The site will also say that it is too late to cancel the subscription as more than 7 days have passed since the charge date.This is the second time in my life I have been ripped off like this. When will I learn?

In the other instance I filed a complaint with the FTC about a $29.95 charge that was made to my credit card on a 'continuing basis' without my knowledge. The FTC was able to recover $26.00 for me on that case. This company just has to have oen of the worst customer relations programs in existence. They are out to rip you off. Don't accept their 'free' services.

• Ge
      25th of Feb, 2011

Actually, per the terms and conditions that you explicity agree to when you sign up, you actually do authorize them to keep charging your card. Of course, I agree that it is a little deceptive, but you can't call it fraud when you've given them legal permission.

I've found this site to be helpful. They endorse Ancestry.com, but they're not a part of it so you get Ancestry's fine print in layman's terms. They explain how to avoid most Ancestry.com complaints, and they explain how to completely cancel your account so you don't keep getting charged. http://www.familytreeshortcuts.com/avoiding-issues/