Amtrak / lost luggage - no recourse
1st class r/t ticket Vancouver, BC to Los Angeles. One of the perks to having a 1st class ticket is that the Red Cap will load your luggage on and off the train for you. There is no need to check baggage. It travels with you in the 1st class car. Everything's fine until the return trip and the porter gives my wife's bag to a traveler who gets off in San Jose. SJ traveler doesn't notice right away but eventually returns bag to SJ station. SJ station puts bag on next train going north (24 hours later). My wife is told Amtrak policy says they can't forward her bag across the border to Vancouver for security reasons. Passengers must accompany their bags. My wife had to spend an additional night in Seattle waiting for her bag. Not only was there an additional hotel stay, but nearly $100 in phone charges trying to find her bag ($2/min outside Canada on her cell phone). To add insult to injury, her jewelry was missing when she got the bag back.
As if this wasn't enough, Amtrak Customer Service will do NOTHING. She was told there is no recourse. No manager/supervisor to speak to. No address/fax/phone number/email they will give out. You're on the train for 36 hours between LA and Seattle and you are entirely responsible if anything happens to your luggage, including Amtrak's mishandling of it.
More Amtrak Complaints & Reviews
- Axis, Amtrak, Jody - tries to deceive women for 'work', off craigslist, con, liar 
- Amtrak - disrespect 
- Amtrak - refund policy: no rules 
- Amtrak - amtrak communication error is costing the customer
- Amtrak - terrible customer service 
- Amtrak - Unethical behaviour
- Amtrak - overbooked unsafe train
- Amtrak - ticket purchasing
- Amtrak - reservation #006134, train 505 pdx to slm
- Amtrak - disable and handicap access