Amerigas/propane / overcharging the public

1 1503 W.Garner rdGarner Raleigh, NC, United States Review updated:

I had switched to AmeriGas in the end of October 2008, I got my 250 gallon tank around the 7th of November.When I called to get it filled, the office lady told me that it would be about $560.00 since I was getting a new customer $1.999 a gallon first fill special. I was shocked at the amount.I asked her how she came up with that price, she then told me that they have to charge you for 250.0gallons of propane.I told her how in the hell can you charge 250.0 gal.on a tank that can only be filled to 80 % by law.She said that is how AmeriGas does it.I told her that I had been useing propane heat for the past 4 yrs and I know that it only holds 200.0 gallons.
Well there was no way to get her to understand, so I said fill the tank I need some heat.So when i got the bill I didn`t pay it, instead i called the national customer care line at the corporate head quarters in Rocklin, CA to let them know of the problem.After about a monthI recieved a credit for 50 gallon overcharge.
I have been debating for 5 months whether to post a complaint online and to let the Attorney General know of this situation with AmeriGas.I keep thinking of how many other peolple they have screwed over when they to had switched to AmeriGAs.
When I saw that they had other complaints on this site I said it was time to do the same and let everybody know of the experience that I had with this propane company.

Tf

Comments

• Ba
      25th of Mar, 2009

Yes, write the Attorney General's office of your state and their state of Origin! ... I'm going to! .. I can't believe what I've been charged! They tell me they can only fill it to 80 percent, right? .. Well, so they charge me for 187 gallons, but what about the 30 percent or whatever is still there in the tank? ..do I not get the credit backed off the 80 percent, and be charged only for 50 percent? .. NO, they've never mentioned that! .. So I'm distraught, as I've had to order 3 trips from them since I bought it in September, but I only heat with it, so it never was used until October .. so since then I've had to pay over 1, 400 dollars, and winter is still not over! .. This is certainly a rip off! .. They even tried to charge me 94. dollars plus for testing their own tank for leaks! Imagine that! .. I did go to their local office here in Marion, OH and DEMAND they take that off or I was calling the Attorney General right from their office ' after many, many attempts wtih customer service to try to get it removed..so funny thing ..when I showed them I was contacint the Consumer Fraud Division of the Attorney General's office, they found a way to credit me that on my bill..immediately.. And we all know, due to safety, the state forces them to test their tanks and equipment for leaks..so why does a consumer have to pay for their own requirment? .. They are such a bad, bad company! ..They let me run out and refused to come out to my home until after Christmas ' due to no other clients ordering at that time from my area! ..What? .. Yes, ..that was their excuse ' not enough manpower to send gas to just one customer' although this customer ALWAYS pays in full up front! .. ... It's time we ALL reported them to legalities! .. And to the State Division that also checks their gages! .. plus they REFUSED to give me a new tank, that is 30 some years old..I just bought this place and the old tank was here and it's all rusted! ..They refuse to give me a new or newer one .. so you know the rust is allowing the propane to become more susceptible to ' the refrigeration process ' .. another reason as to why I used so much ...and I only have had my furnace set on 65 all winter! ...

9th of Apr, 2009

I am a low income family. I have not been able to afford to fill my tank for a year. When i called them to fill it, they wanted to charge me 4.69 a gallon, when other companys were charging 1.69. I asked how they could justify that, and they told me the less you use, the more you pay. I thought well this is just great for global warming.
    Then I qualified for LiHeap this year. Amerigas was sent 300.00, not nearly enough to meet their minimum delivery requirements, so, ofcourse I didn't use it. Then they decide to charge me a bogus fee of tank rent, 106.00, and they used the LiHeap credit to pay for it. This is ridiculous, I called the office of the Inspector General.

• Dp
      27th of Dec, 2009

they always try to overcharge me. I'm on automatic refill with them (they told me if I want a better price I have to be on auto-refill) and now when they come, I call their office and ask what the price for gas is on that day, then when I get the bill I have to call them every time and ask them why they are charging me 40 or 60 cents more than what they told me before, they usually don't argue and fix the price .I feel sorry for all the other customers who don't call for a price readjustment.

• Ha
      14th of Jan, 2010

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY! We have had very similar problems. We just moved into a home with an Amerigas owned tank, so this is all new to us and is a horrible nightmare. In October, Amerigas actually came and filled our neighbor's tank by mistake and they are trying to charge us for it--they actually put it on our bill and our account! It is now January. I have spent countless hours on the phone trying to get it straightened out and they put me on hold for half an hour while they "talk with a supervisor" and then come back to tell me they are investigating the situation. They even admit they had the wrong address on the work order, but somehow the charge showed up for our address! They are supposed to fill on a "will call" basis, but they showed up last week. I asked the driver what the rate was--he told me he had no idea. Well, being new to propane shame on me, but I didn't stop him from filling. The statement came and they charged $3.499 a gallon when others in the area are charging $2.08 to $2.28 a gallon. They refuse to budge on the price and say it's my fault because I didn't pay them $100 to "lock in" the rate at which they filled us in October. It looks like we will have to file complaint(s) and/or go to small claims court to get the incorrect fill charge off of our account. We are in the process of getting our tank removed and strongly urge anyone considering Amerigas to RUN RUN RUN away from these crooks.

• Di
      18th of Feb, 2010

I purchased 200 gallons of propane the first week of December 2009.I was not able to pay my bill in full. I made a partial payment and was making arrangements for the balance. February 12, 2010 after coming home from work I walked in my house and smelling gas, I realized I ran out of propane. 200 gallons in less than 2 months is not normal for me. I usually purchase 2 times a year. However I called Amerigas about my situation and being this was a friday night about 9-10 at night. I had to contact the emergency number. That representative informing me of my past due balance which I do not dispute. I told them I realize that. My balance due is approximately $350. I said well how much is it going to cost me to pay balance and get 250 gallons. I was told it would cost $1400. I questioned the total. Of course I don't have that amount of money. I told that to the representative and at that time had an attitude towards me of maybe if you paid your bill. I plead that due to the economy and holiday its not easy for me being a single mother. I then said that i would have to get someone else cause, I can not be without heat, hot water or stove for the weekend.The following morning( Saturday) about 9am after making numerous phone calls i finally was able to have a local company come and deliver 250 gallons and help reset my furnace stove and hot water heater. 02/16/10 a call from Shelly who works in the office at Amerigas leaving me a message on my voice mail about my balance due. I listen to the following message from Shelly again who has informed me that she will be placing a lock on the tank. I of course very upset return the call and say what are you talking about that tank is mine and she hangs up on me i repeat the this 3 times all 3 she hangs up on me. I told her that do not come on my land or touch my tank . After several calls back and forth she said that she would have someone remove the lock. I came home from work took a shower before bed and realized my water is cold my furnace is not working and my stove is not as well I called the police to file a report. that Amerigas came over and tampered with my tank. The Jefferson county police officer confirmed that the values were shut off.. No lock was there but the values were turned.02/17/10 I called wanting to speak to the supervisor, I was not able to speak to. Shelly was the person on the other end. I then said to her.. Did you have a lock on my tank? she repiles Yes, we did. I also asked if she was able to look in the "archives" if they own the tank or not? She said she was not able to get to that yet. i also asked if she also instructed the driver to turn off the values so I did not have any propane going to the house? Her response was they should not have done that I will have a talk to the driver about that. i informed her that i filed a complaint with the police and with the BBB. She replied good and hung up.. It seems that when ever I ask my balance the amount is always different. The paper bill says 500 plus yet I gave them 195 and when talking on the phone the amount is 300 plus. I do not trust at this point.I am not sure what else to say. Treating a customer in this matter is not called along with tampering personal property.
    Diane

22nd of Feb, 2010

I have several complaints against Amerigas: 1, Whats with this "we have 7 days" to deliver propane after you place an order. Thats what I am told every time I place an order. 2, why do we the customer have to pay for their HAZMAT training? Look at your bill folks and you will see a hazmat charge EVERYTIME you get a delivery ( must be some good training) also you pay for a fuel recovery fee EVERYTIME you get a delivery. Amerigas are crooks people!!! I am active military and was told that they would give me a discount because of that...Guess how much????? 1 cent per gal, are you freakin kidding me!!! Now I can afford that one candy bar every month. 3, I was told that I had to stay a customer for a year, but when I called today to cancel (14 months later) I am told that I am being charged $100 for early cancellation because its 3 years not 1 year. 4, I paid the extra fee this summer to lock in a "lower amount" and guess what? I found a local company that charges less that the lower amount Americrooks charged me. Also the local company delivers in one to two days not the customary "seven days" that it takes Americrooks to deliver. You all be your own judge but if anyone were to ever ask me my opinion of Amerigas, I would say delete them from your memory like you never heard of them before.

• Ru
      16th of Mar, 2010

I can do one better than that. When we had our home built, we were told that Amerigas had the account for the neighborhood and they were offering burried tanks. Well that sounded great as this is a very nice neighborhood and who wants to look at a bunch of propane tanks. Long story short, the tank was buried about 3 foot outside my back door, and... in a low spot in the yard so the tank was constantly submerged in water! They finally moved the tank and were going to just leave the hole. Needless to say, I wasn't having that. I finally got them to deliver a load of dirt so the hole could be filled. Oh well... the guy buring the tank obviously had NO experience on a dozer and left the yard a complete disaster. When I told them that was not acceptable, they said they are not in the landscaping business. You guessed it, I do not have Amerigas any longer. The propane was almost double the cost of another company and they created a disaster in my yard.

• Ta
      1st of Jun, 2010

I HATE AMERIGAS!!! When we moved into our new home the propane tank had the Amerigas sticker on it, so when we needed propane we called to place an order. Well the lady gave us a date and time when the driver would be showing up. We had about 30 percent left in the tank when we called to order propane and we only use it for heat so she told us it would be delievered 2 weeks from the date we called between 8 am and 4 pm. It was on a Tuesdy, , , , , , , , , well needless to say, the day came and went and no propane showed up. At this time we were down to 15 percent left in the tank and when my husband called to ask what happened she told him she had no record of anyone telling us propane would be delivered...UGH!! So he told her he had the phone record of him talking to her on the day that she told him the delivery date so she told my husband she could put in an emergency order and it would cost us $85 dollars more...WTF??? We would have to pay for HER mistake?? We were livid, and my husband told her there was no way in hell we would pay an extra $85 for an emergency fuel delivery, so she told him that the earliest they could get there with not charging us for emergency delivery would be the following Tuesday, , , , , , , , , it was cold and we were using our furnace so there was no way at 15 percent full that it would last us another week!!! So after arguing and arguing with the lady she finally got a driver to bring us our fuel the next day without charging the emergency delievery fee. Well after that incident and since it was the first time dealing with them, we thought we would give them 1 more try, well when our tank got low again we called and she gave us a time and date when the fuel would be delivered and guess what?? NO FUEL DELIVERED AT THE TIME SHE TOLD US!!! So my husband again called them and asked where our fuel was and she said well it would be sometime by the end of the week. WE are sooo done with these guys!!! The customer service SUCKS and needless to say so does their quote on when your fuel will be delivered. So if anyone knows of a better place to get propane in southern Arizona before the start of the cold season again please let us know. I want to call Amerigas and have them come get their tank and tell them right where they can stick it!!! I will NEVER again give them any of our hard earned money for their stinkin fuel!!!

• Li
      27th of Jul, 2010

Amerigas is run by [censor]s that tried to rip good hard working people out of their money. They tell you one thing over the phone then when you receive the bill it's something different. Marc h 2010 I was told that they would adjust my bill to the price per gallon I was promised then 3 months later I get a PAST DUE bill with the balance they were going to adjust and a $30.00 late fee. This Co. sucks and there should be a class action suit against them for all the people they have screwed throuhg the years.

• Di
      26th of Aug, 2010

I have been with Amerigas for 10 years and each year, in July, I would lock into their budget with an agreed price per gallon that was always very close to the going rate. They would even provide an "auto fill" the truck shows up 5 times from fall to early spring and tops off the tank... All is well, until this year. We call to settle our account and found we used fewer gallons than anticipated winter of 2009-10, we have a credit of 200.00 bucks, thats good... as we discuss our next agreement I am informed that the price per gallon lock is going up to 2.89 per gallon (last year we paid 2.05 per gallon). The Amerigas rep explained that they did not buy enough LP reserves for the upcoming year to keep the prices low... (as a consumer, thats not my problem...) Alarmed by the rate increase, we call around and find that the going rate is actually less than what we paid last year, currently between 1.79 and 1.89 and this is not a teaser new customer rate... So we called Amerigas back and deceided to take our business elsewhere. With 300 gallons left in the 500 gallon tank we lease from them (the 300 gallon is ours we have paid for it and still have a 200+/- credit on our account) they need to "pump out the tank to less than 5% before they can move it, and as you my have guessed there is a fee involved to pump out the tank. On July 15 2010, I agree to the fee and continue to schedule the pump out and tank removal. I was told I would be contacted durning the week of Aug. 23rd 2010 to schedule a day and time for the pump out and removal, no call from them, so we call... and the run around begins. Now it is 30- 90 days for the pump out and removal, and "Oh yeah, did you get a copy of the damage waiver we need signed before we can begin this process.." WHAT! Yeah, we are not on the schedule. Its like starting the process all over again... I believe this is a stonewalling tactic designed take us into the cooler Ohio fall where we would be forced to stay with them at what ever rate they want to charge... I am not happy with this company. If I had know this was how they conducted business I would have left them long ago...

3rd of Dec, 2010

when we had a problem with Amerigas the new company we called said they would pump the gas out of the tank and back into our new tank of theirs... maybe you should see if you can get someone to do that for you...

3rd of Dec, 2010

The problem we have with AmeriGas is that when we had their tank removed and a new company set a tank we called AmeriGas to come and pick up their tank and they waited 10 days to come and get it and then sent us a bill for $172.00 for labor picking up the tank and for our own regulator that we bought because they would not provide one and we bought the regulator from someone else not them. We did not have a contract with them either... never have signed anything with them they are just fraudulently billing because they are mad that we changed companies... my sister is an attorney and I contacted her and she is dealing with them now for me...NOT A GOOD COMPANY!!! BEWARE!!!

22nd of Dec, 2010

I had been a customer of Amerigas for 19 years. They were not as large then as they are now and were much easier to deal with. Decisions were made in the loal office not in some Ivory tower, that is divorced from reality. In 2008 I changed from a commercial customer to a residential customer. I had retired my poultry farm with its five, 1 thousand gallon tanks and a 250 gallon incinerator tank to just two residential tanks. They suggested budget billing, set a price and we paid that amount for 9 months. They sent me a bill for $2300.00 saying they had not been billing enough. I asked if I could pay this in 4 payments they said yes and after receiving 2 payments turned the account over to a collection agency. When I called they said don't worry we received your payment on the 3rd of the month and the collection notice was sent out on the 5th by mistake. I commented that they had a problem and was told by a very rude gentleman that they did'nt have a problem I had a problem. I paid the balance and changed suppliers. It has been over a month and after I requested they remove their tanks, they are still in my yard, (not exactly Christmas decor).
    Amerigas never showed a price of the propane in all the years they delivered. My new supplier shows the price per gallon as well as the total due with each delivery.
    GOOD-BY AMERIGAS.

• Nr
      8th of Jan, 2011

we called to order fuel 2 days ago because we knew we were getting low we used to always get cod but the lady I spoke with said " we don't do that anymore, you have to pay up front. you should be good for at least the weekend and we will get someone out there this week. mind you our gages haven't worked right since we bought this place and we told them several times and they never fixed them., so we never knew how m uch was in the tanks so we could get a delivery, anyway, I woke up this morning and we were out of gas, wejust had 6 inches of snow dumped on us and it was cold. I called them got someone from California, who works for the emercancy delivery service dept and told him my situation, he told me we had to pay 120.00 dollar delevery fee before they would delver. I was pissed and started trlling the guy it was their fault because our gauges were not working right and the lady in the office said we should be good through the weekend. he said sorry I can't do anything about it if you don't pay with a credit card now we can't deliver, I started yekking at him telling him they were rip offs and hung up. my husband called back and got some lady who was nicer she said thy would get the driver there today but we could pay him by check for emerancy delivery. so our fuel cost us 800.00 dollars we really did'nt have. we are changing companies after this fuel runs out and tell amerigas to come get there tanks. my hsband said if they don't he will roll them down the hill. ameriassholes they should rename thir company!

9th of Jan, 2011

I told them they had 30 days to pick up the tank or I would declare it abandoned and would sell them. They picked them up 1 day later.

• Am
      15th of Jan, 2011

We are sorry to hear about your situation and apologize for your recent experience with AmeriGas. AmeriGas prides itself on providing our customers with the highest levels of customer service and we would like to help. At your convenience, please contact Fran directly via email at customerfirstfran@amerigas.com so we can promptly assist you with this issue. To better assist you, please provide your AmeriGas customer number, phone number or the address and zip code where your propane tank is located. Thank-You. AmeriGas Customer Service.

• Ed
      21st of Jan, 2011

Amerigas has a new computer system and is charging everyone tank rental fees. It also issues false billing statements for gas which was never filled in your tank. Please be careful. What proof do you have that the gas was delivered .Amerigas will send you a bill month or two latter. I am going through this right now. Check your tanks and make sure you are there if the gas comes other wise they are dishonest. Very bad customer service.

• Jg
      7th of Feb, 2011
    Amerigas - Refused to deliver
    Amerigas

I was told to call when the tank got at or below 40% especially if bad weather was expected. We called as when it was 40% and expecting bad weather. After repeated calls and promises from them that they would "be there soon" we eventually got down to 10% with even worse weather expected. After another call, we were told that because there was some snow near our garage, that the driver refused to deliver. I asked what would happen if I ran out of propane, the customer service man said, "That is too bad." I simply clear the area off more and hope that they deliver tommorrow, like they said they would. I am switching propane companies ASAP.

• Am
      7th of Feb, 2011

Hi, my name is Fran and I work for AmeriGas. I’m sorry to hear about your issues with billing and would like to help you. Please send your account details to me at customerfirstfran@amerigas.com so we can promptly assist you. Thank you, Fran

• We
      11th of Feb, 2011
    Amerigas - Wants to charge us $400 for a full tank
    Amerigas

Amerigas wants to charge us $400 for a full tank of propane, that does'nt sound too bad does it, well heres the kicker $400 for a whole tank of propane and then every month they charge you however much you have used up out of it, and then will not give you back your deposit for 90 days this company is a big bunch of crap trying to stick it to the little people. I hope the government comes in and closes them down! but since we have obama as president I really don't think thats going to happen as he is for the FATCATS!