American Income / Unethical job interviewing!

1 Campus 4, 266 Raritan Ctr. Pkwy.Edison New Jersey, NJ, United States Review updated:
Phone: 856-889-6514

I received a voicemail on the morning of 9 April 2008 from a woman identifying herself as Brigit Fisher from Human Resources at American Income. Ms. Fisher said in her message that an identified "senior manager" had seen my resume on the web, and was interested in interviewing me for a job.

I was curious (or gullible) enough to call back, and Ms. Fisher's behavior made me suspicious immediately. She did not recognize my name, she had not seen my resume, and she was vague about the position's requirements. When I asked her if she could send me a description of the position's requirements, she said she was "unable" to do that. She then asked if she could schedule me for an interview, and I said yes, but she refused to give me any contact information on the "senior manager" who would supposedly be interviewing me. I was simply given the address of an office in Edison, to show up there "dressed professionally, " and instructed to call Ms. Fisher's cell number if I had any questions. (I did get the "senior manager's" name, and it was Ms. Fisher's sister.) Ms. Fisher couldn't even give me American Income's website; she just suggested I Google it. Not exactly the sort of thing that inspires confidence in a prospective employee.

I checked out the Complaints Board, and my suspicions about Ms. Fisher and American Income were confirmed in no uncertain terms. People who have actually hit the bait and attended these interviews tell stories of being asked to fork over fees for "training" and other things, and have generally reported frustration, misleading claims, dishonest treatment, etc.

I have a feeling I didn't make much of a mistake when I decided to blow off this interview. I'd say that the most critical skepticism is warranted when it comes to dealing with American Income.

Comments

• Pk
      23rd of Sep, 2008

I got the same call this morning, the person was not able to give details about the job except that he is from HR dept. and guess what they had appointments available for tomorrow with the Sr.Executive who seems to be desprate to hire me!!!but HR couldn't answer WHY!! Anyway at that time i was not sure what it is and fixed an appointment fro Friday... and just searched by their name got all teh story... you saved my trip... thanks.

• Va
      14th of Oct, 2008

I just got a call from ms. Fisher and though it was odd that she could not give me any information. You saved me a trip.

• Sh
      23rd of Jan, 2009

I ALSO GOT A CALL FROM A PERSON NAMED CARLY AND I WAS SUPPOSE TO GO TODAY @ 10 AM FOR AN INTERVIEW TO SEE A DAVID HOUSEMAN AFTER READING THIS I DIDN'T GO I WASN'T SURE IF THIS IS THE SAME COMPANY OR NOT SO I JUST DIDN'T GO.

SHE A FEW DAYS AGO

12th of Feb, 2009

Thanks so so so much for alerting others! I just booked an interview with them this morning, for tomorrow, but I was a little suspicious too...David Housman i was supposed to interview with...really sleazy these people, taking advantage of the unemployed during an economic crisis

26th of Mar, 2009

Thank You so much.
    I dit get a cal from David this evening n I got scheduled for interview at 10.30 in tomorow morning with Monica.I asked them twice for which position I gonna get selected but it was really suspecious.They told me it will be for Management team position n I didnt get that...
    Now I checked whole story.
    Thank You very much again for saving my trip.

4th of Nov, 2009

I got a similar call this morning. It went to my voice mail. "Lori" from HR dept left a similar scripted message for me asking me to call them back. What made me suspicious about this call was the name of the company. Never heard of it before and the word "income" in the company's name? I decided to google it before I return the call and I' m glad I did becaue it saved me time and money.

• Ka
      12th of Nov, 2009

Thankfully after I got this same message from "ROD" who claimed I sent them my resume on monster.com and his superior wanted him to give me a call to set up an interview (for the record: no I didnt, I know where I applied- all 3 places were around my area in Bergen County, NJ and I would never apply for a job in Edison...where I would have to commute 2 hours a day). I knew I wasnt going crazy, so I googled the company's name and it lead me to sites like this one about the scams theyve been involved in. I always go w/ my gut instinct and this message sounded fishy from the get go...dont say on the VM. that someone emailed you their resume' when they didnt. If anything, say "I saw your profile on monster.com and you fit the criteria that we're looking for." Needless to say, they wanted me to call in for an interview and I'm so glad I found this board before I went in and wasted my time. I can't wait to call them tomorrow and give "ROD" a piece of my mind. Thank you for everyones shared stories.

• Nu
      4th of Mar, 2010

I just got a call a few minutes ago from "Hassan" to schedule an interview for either 10, 10:15, 10:30 to meet with a SR. Mgr. I asked him innediately if this was a commission paying job or salary, he said it was salaried but I am still so suspicious. I have already been to Aflac, Primnerica and NY Met life and the same thing. If I was into sales no problem but am I not. I am so glad I saw these stories because while unemployed I take care of my nephew everyday and I would have to shift things around. It is really unbeleivable the way they reel you in while unemployed.

5th of Aug, 2010

I got a call today will similar to those above, but the person left me a voice mail that was anything but English. In fact, her English was so bad, I couldn't have returned the call if I wanted to. Anyway, they called two more times until I finally answered. They were unable to give me a job description, company info, etc. They didn't even have my e-mail address, but claimed they had my resume. I asked them to read my address from the resume and she could not even do that (but then again, she may have not been able to read English). I figured that if the HR person couldn't speak English, that it wasn't worth thinking that the company was any better.