American Home Shield Corporation [AHS] — shieldessential
Their contract is worded with weasel words and broad generalizations so that they can avoid getting out of paying.
Today is the second time I have called a contractor out to be told what I called for is not covered. Both times have been for plumbing issues.
In my contract the following is listed:
5. PLUMBING STOPPAGES
COVERED ITEMS: Clearing of sink, bathtub, shower, and toilet stoppages. Clearing of mainline drain and sewer stoppages through an accessible
ground level or interior cleanout up to 100 feet from access point. Clearing of lateral drain line stoppages up to 100 feet from access point including
accessible cleanout, p-trap, drain, or overflow access points.
NOT COVERED: Costs to locate or access cleanouts not found or inaccessible, or to install cleanouts - Access through roof vents -
Stoppages caused by collapsed, damaged or broken drain, vent or sewer lines outside the home's main foundation - Stoppages due to
roots or foreign objects - Lines broken or infiltrated by roots, or otherwise stopped by roots, even if within the home's main foundation -
If you read it very closely, you can see the glaring problem: "stoppages due to... foreign objects".
Yes, this means ANY clog in a drain you call about, they will say "sorry, not covered". What on earth would clog a drain that isn't a "foreign object"? The most common clog in a drain, hair, is classified by them as a foreign object! Ridiculous! This makes the ENTIRE coverage section of "stoppages" moot.
Another suspect wording in the contract comes in here:
3. Coverage under your Agreement is for a Covered Item malfunction occurring during your Agreement Term caused by:
a. Normal wear and tear of the Covered Item;
b. Rust or corrosion of the Covered Item;
c. Improper installation, repair, or modification of the Covered Item;
d. System installation where component units of the Covered Item were not properly matched to each other for proper operation; or
e. Insufficient maintenance of the Covered Item.
They will always return to "a" and tell you what you've done on your item is outside of "normal wear and tear", again allowing them to get away from any responsibility.
DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. Most insurance companies will try to get out of paying you for anything, but these guys will straight up charge you the dispatch fee and leave you hanging with no repair! And then if you want to have the repair done, the repairmen have to charge you another fee through their agency! Huge, huge scam. Their customer service is also unhelpful and defaults repeatedly to the flawed contract.
More American Home Shield Corporation [AHS] Complaints & Reviews
- American Home Shield - the truth about ahs 
- American Home Shield (AHS) - unable to cancel the policy 
- AHS Home Warranty Company - don't trust them 
- American Home Shield - rip off 
- American Home Shield - beware 
- American Home Shield Corporation [AHS] - dryer repair
- American Home Shield Corporation [AHS] - communication and cancellation
- American Home Shield - broken air conditioner
- American Home Shield Corporation [AHS] - refrigerator
- American Home Shield Corporation [AHS] - unethical behavior, lack of customer service.