American Express / merchant account

1 P.O. BOX 53852, Phoenix, AZ, United States Review updated:
Phone: 800-528-5200

I am extremely upset at how my small business has been treated by American Express. We are a group of hardworking people who pride ourselves on conducting business honestly and paying all our bills on time. Recently we processed two transactions through our merchant account which we believe now to have been fraudulent. Our policy is to have the customer complete an authorization form complete with signature which is what occurred in this case. The other transaction was processed through our website. American Express reclaimed all the money from the transactions and our company lost the cost of all goods shipped to these customers around $5000 worth of products. When I called today to find out the status of our account I was told that American Express decided to terminate our merchant account. When I asked for an explanation I was told that American Express's “Policies were confidential” and would not be discussed with me. I could not believe that a company put such little value on your relationship with my company. In addition to the cancellation AMEX did not even have the courtesy to send us a letter notifying us that the account was closed. We found out when customer charges began to be denied for no apparent reason. We did nothing wrong and were taken advantage of by criminals and American Express got all its money back. Yet our companies account has been terminated without even the courtesy of an explanation. The AMEX web site states:

Q: Will American Express cancel a merchant account if it begins to pose a high risk of fraud?

A: We would work diligently with a merchant to try to resolve issues that are causing fraudulent activity first. But there have been cases where we have canceled merchant accounts for excessive fraud problems

Certainly American Express did not work diligently with us to resolve and issues! As a result my partner and I have decided to cancel all our accounts with American Express both business and personal. We do not want to have anything to do with a company that does business the way American Express does. Perhaps Visa or MasterCard will put more value in their relationships with small businesses.

Bj

Comments

• Fu
      9th of Dec, 2008

Soon all servicing for Amex Merchant Services will be in India or, minimally, by an outside vendor. Amex has prospered via the loyalty and dedication of employees and has, in return, off shored or outsourced nearly everything except collections. Wise up and take back our country.

• Bl
      14th of Feb, 2009

Koreana
    13457 Olive Blvd
    Chesterfield, MO 63017

Merchant refuses to accept multiple credit cards claiming that it is "after hours." She also claims that doing so would force her to incur additional charges and refuses to provide any alternative means through use of plastic. Worst merchant! Do not frequent, but if you do, make sure you take plenty of cash!

• Be
      9th of Apr, 2012

A customer swiped and signed the receipt. Then when their statement came in they didn't recognize the name on the statement because I am a sole proprieter. So the customer filed a fraud complaint. Now I have the receipt  and video recording of this customer standing in my business  but somehow Amex feels it is appropriate for me to work for free and refund the customer who says the charges are valid, all because I was unable to respond to their claim letter within ther allotted time. To bad it doesn't work the same way. Anytime they are late on paying me I should receive some kind of bonus pay. I can not stand doing business with this company. It's bad enough that we the merchant actually pay for reward points out of our pocket and now they steal from my account. Keep your hand in your own pocket Amex. ASAP I will be dropping this account. But in a very professional apologetic way. I learned from them how to be so cunning after spending so much of my time double checking their work. Calling when they got it wrong. Waiting to speak with someone who knows what they are doing. And now being denied a valid charge even myself and the customer agree are valid.

• Ap
      3rd of Jun, 2016
    American Express - Misbehaviour
    American Express

I was shocked to see the behaviour of people representing a american express travel agency in MGF Megacity Mall, Gurgaon, Haryana INDIA.
    They were so rude that were not interested in attending a customer and behaved very rudely to sent me back from there office. It was so rude that i will never again go to an Amex travel agent nor refer anyone in future.
    Shame for such a big company to keep such people as their representative.