American Airlines / rude counter service

1 Georgetown, TX, United States

On July 16th my family and I flew from Austin to Tampa for vacation using AA miles. Two days earlier, on the 14th, I received an email upgrade notification. The notification seemed odd to me since I've flown AA for 20 years and am very familiar with their rules but thought that maybe the rules had changed. After arriving at the ticket counter I was informed by the agent, her first name was Judy but she would not give me her last name (Hispanic women in her 40's, overweight, short dark hair with glasses), that we would not be receiving the upgrade and that we'd lost the seats I chose on the website and my family would be seated all over the two flights to Tampa. When I protested she began blaming me, saying that I shouldn't have checked the upgrade box on the website. Knowing that it was impossible to request an upgrade online using miles I then became angry and demanded to see a supervisor. She came back out 10 minutes later and says it will be another 20 minutes. The supervisor finally came out and did nothing to help, even when Judy threatened to have me arrested. The agent doesn't have a clue how the website works and now she taunts me into becoming angry and then threatens to have me arrested? I have 1.6M miles with AA and have never lost my cool, but I've never been treated this way either, by ANY airline.

I used to feel sorry for AA employees since many of their issues are out of their control but not anymore. They openly mock and ridicule AA management, especially over the bonus payouts to executives, and now it's reaching the customer level. One attendant on a flight I recently took openly announced her displeasure with the bonus issue over the intercom as we were landing. These people don't like their management or their jobs and it shows.

No more loyal customer here though. I've already made 4 trips since then, all on Southwest, and will continue to do so. They sing to you instead of complaining.