Amana / French Door Refrigerator / Bad product and service

About five weeks after I bought my Amana refrigerator (Model AF12538AEQ), the refrigerator stopped working. I called the manufacturer's customer service line and was given an appointment with A&E Service Co... for two days later.

A very uncommunicative technician showed up and, after 10 minutes, brusquely told me the parts had to be ordered, and he would return a week later. Now, I am without a refrigerator for 9 days.

Today, no service person shows. The manufacturer says the service company claims I had no appointment. Also, they now tell me the parts are being sent via UPS to me but have no tracking number. Oh, by the way, one part is on back order and won't arrive until May 4.

Since that would leave me three weeks with no refrigerator, I point out that is unacceptable. Too bad, customer service, says, there is nothing they can do.

Bottom line: Don't buy Whirlpool, Amana or Maytag if you want to look forward to decent customer service. And, never use A&E for service.

Comments

12th of Jun, 2007

We have the exact same problem going on now. We have been without a frig for almost two weeks. Same story--sorry, we can't make it any faster since the part had to be ordered. There are people ahead of you. I will never, never, never, never buy an Amana product again and will make sure friends and family do not either!!!

• Ku
      17th of Jul, 2008

Hi Everyone,
    Frankly Kitchenaid along with A&E----SUCK!!!
    I have commercial grade kitchenaid appliances and I have had the same problem. To make a long story short-- After using my oven for only one year and cleaning two times it busted. I was blessed with the presence of an A&E representative. Of course they had to order the part for the repair. I was forced to go without an oven what turned into a six week ordeal leaving me without an oven during the winter months, with a family of six.. A&E claimed they had to order the parts.and when the man from A&E returned he found the wrong part was ordered yet installed it anyway. Needless to say that evening the oven broke again . When I complained to A&E they were rude and I was hung up on from customer service. I complained to Kitchenaid they were a little more compassionate but still not much help. After waiting out the six weeks where I was forced to dine out with my family many evenings I felt I deserved some compensation--however Kitchenaid did not agree. Deeply frustrated I decided to send letters to CT Attorney General and both companies CEO--I never heard from anyone at A&E. Kitchenaid had a representative contact me but all she gave me was an additional two years on my insurance policy--wow a whole $126 bucks--compared to $1000+ it cost me. A&E & KITCHENAID POOOOOOOOOOOR CUSTOMER SERVICE--they are a perfect example of you get what you paid for--oddly enough between my oven, dishwasher and microwave I spent $6000+, not small potatoes yet apparently not enough --should have gone with Wolf or one of the commercial appliance companies who not only give you quality but stand by their equipment!!! BUYER BEWARE WHIRLPOOL, KITCHENAID, MAYTAG, AMANA ARE ALL OWNED BY THE SAME COMPANY SO WHAT YOU GET WITH ONE YOUR SURE TO GET WITH ANY OF THE OTHERS.

• La
      11th of Sep, 2010

We had a KitchenAid Superba Dishwasher (1973) that was fantastic. It finally began to rust, so we replaced it with the same Superba and replaced the stove with a KitchenAid (also top of the line) in 1999. The repair bills have been unbelievable. The dishwasher computer boards have been replaced twice - one technician broke the housing for the screws that attach the door from the inside by using the drill that screws them in quickly automatically. The old stacking system was wonderful. I could stack a complete dinner for eight in the dishwasher. In this new one, I have to struggle to fit the dishes in. I have used the cleaning control on the stove twice and the ignition that lights the oven burned up. The repairman was surprised it lasted this long. Also, the grills that go over the gas jets are so high that a lot of the heat is disbursed into the kitchen between the gas jets and the bottom of the pot. We have no children - there are just two of us. I do a lot of hand washing because of the difficulty of stacking the dishwasher. If we still had a family to cook/wash for, I would probably have given up cooking.