[Resolved] Alamo Rental Cars / poor customer service

New York City, NY, United States Review updated:

I was recently in NYC for a holiday and used Alamo Rental Cars. Although the car was fine (I think it was a Toyota Corrola) whne I went to return it, I was charged for a scratch on the right door. It looks like someone 'keyed' it. Here is where they get you - because I did not elect to get extra insurance on it, I am now responsible for the damage even though I had nothing to do with it. I didn't get the extra insurance because I thought I would be covered under my normal insurance and the extra cost would have been an additional $300 for the week! They certainly didn't let me know about this extra cost when I confimred my order. Hidden costs!

• Resolution statement

• Alamo Rent A Car Customer Care's Response, Aug 23, 2010

We suggest that all renters check with their personal insurance and/or credit card company regarding coverage of damage to a rental car due to incidents such as this. You'll note on the rental agreement that you signed, the driver is responsible for any and all damage - this is also why we offer optional coverage.

I sincerely apologize and would suggest you contact our Damage Recovery Unit at 800-327-0421 to handle this claim further.

- Elizabeth with Alamo Rent A Car

• Alamo Rent A Car Customer Care's Response, Jun 18, 2014

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, KLMANL. As customer service is of the utmost importance to us, we would like the opportunity to look into this for you. Please contact us at [protected]@alamo.com with the complete details. Include the exact rental location, your contact information, reservation number and any further information regarding your experience with us.

When emailing, please place reference number 140618-007060 in the subject line. We look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Aug 02, 2008
    Alamo Rental Cars - No vehicle on the day of my trip
    Alamo
    Texas

I rented a car from Alamo Rentals in Dallas, What a BIG mistake! Four months later I received a charge on my credit card for so call a ticket I never received. I am still leaving messages for someone to return my calls. Where is customer care?? Do they know when you leave a message you need to return the call?? Hello??

• Pa
      Aug 18, 2008

I totally agree! We also just got hit with fees for a toll violation on a freeway that has no place to pay for tolls, you have to have a tag, but Alamo doesn't supply it. When I called to complain I was hung up on by customer service!

• Pr
      Aug 25, 2010

Marvin

You are clearly the kind of person who looks to blame somebody else whenever things go wrong. How about taking some personal responsibility? You signed the agreement, I assume nobody forced you to? I assume like the rest of us you had plenty of rental car companies to chose from?

Get a life and stop wasting peoples time. Holidays in New York? Many people would give their right arm for the chance of a decent break and your complaining because you didn't take responsibility for reading a contract you signed. Pathetic.

• Ex
      Feb 11, 2011

I had a similar experience with Alamo in Midland this past week. I was held responsible for a dead car battery. I consider that their issue, not mine, irrespective of "their roadside policy" Audacious. Cost me $50 to be jump started and 8 hours. The attitude from the local staff made matters worse. I am glade this is a competitive business.

• Kl
      May 20, 2014
    Alamo Rental Cars - No vehicle on the day of my trip
    Alamo, Toronto Wellington
    Concord
    Canada
    alamo.ca

I have reserved a minivan to the long weekend on May 16th, 2014 one week before my trip. On one day before my trip I have received a call from the company with confirmation that I would pick up the minivan. I have decide to check-in on the company's web-site 12 hours before the trip and suddenly discovered that the vehicle was not available. I called company immediately to the branch, and was reassured that the company would find alternative vehicle because "Chrysler" has recalled this type of cars recently. The following day, the day of my trip nobody called me; my calls were ignored and never returned to me. After my insistence to talk with a manger of the branch I was told that the company could provide the alternative car not before 3:00 pm. I have agreed to this inconvenience and delayed my trip to this hour from 9:00 am. At 3 pm nobody contacted me, nobody returned my requests! I was forced to find another company to rent a minivan for the significantly higher price.
    Main frustration is that my calls were IGNORED!
    I can understand any situation, but I will not accept ignorance and non-responsibility NEVER!