Air India / denied boarding

1 new york, NY, United States

I had a united award ticket for a flight from jfk to del by air india. When i went to JFK, air india cooly said the ticket is not there in their system and i should talk to united. I called united, and united said everything is confirmed on both sides. Further they requested to talk to the air india ticket agent - the air india ticketing agent's response was "its not our issue, so you talk to them yourself"! ... when i told united agent this response, they decided to call air india customer service - after some ten minute wait, united said the air india customer service says its not a problem and it should be fine now - it was not to be. finally after much begging the air india airport agent agreed to talk to the united rep. they haggled for 20 minutes, and finally the united guy gave up and told me he will rebook me on the next day's flight (same flight). by this time, me having learned the lesson, flatly refused an air india award ticket - finally united agreed to put me on a flight operated by united from ewr.

lesson learned. i am surprised they let air india into star alliance - woe to star alliance people for letting such worse airline into what is otherwise a great airline network. as an indian, i feel ashamed india has to put up with a career that is in such sorry state - recently a friend's bag got torn and partly burned and the ai baggage people refused to own up any mistake...

travel at your own risk!

Sa