Agoda / refusal to refund cancelled booking

1 Singapore

Sir/Ma’am:

This is to formally complain the refusal of your company to refund the amount of USD 1, 124.48 despite the cancellation of the booking within the penalty free period. The facts are hereinafter borneout.

On 16 February 2013, my husband and I booked a 3-night stay at the Marina Bay Sands Singapore via the Agoda Website, beginning 19 March 2013 to 22 March 2013. I was given booking Id No. [protected] for reference.

Upon booking, we were informed that cancellation on the booking was free provided it be done seven (7) days prior to arrival.

As the trip to Singapore was a family trip, there were several of us who were to join the said trip. My sister was able to make her own booking for a serviced 2 bedroom apartment. As we all wanted to stay together and considering that the serviced apartment could accommodate us all, I cancelled my booking at the Marina Bay Sands on 11 March 2013 by calling the Agoda Hotline.

I followed the voice prompt until it informed me that my booking ID [protected] was cancelled and will not be allowed to be rebooked. I was likewise informed by the voice prompt that USD 0.00 will be debited from my account, signifying that the cancellation was free of charge.

Satisfied that the booking was duly cancelled and there will be no charges against my husband’s card, I made no further calls.

Upon our arrival in Singapore on 19 March 2013, we were informed by the serviced apartment where my sister was booked, that there was a limit to the number of adults that can stay in the said apartment. Thus, my husband and I were constrained to book a room at the Marina Bay Sands.

Upon getting to the Marina Bay Sands, we tried booking under our name but we were told that the Hotel was fully booked. Fortunately, we had a friend, CELIA REYES PECILLER, who booked an extra room at the hotel and allowed us to use said booking, 19-22 March 2013. We paid the Marina Bay Sands a total of USD 1, 904.35.

Upon arriving in Manila, we were surprised that the Agoda charged us USD 1, 124.45 for the booking reference number [protected], the same booking which was cancelled on 11 March 2013.

I immediately called AGODA and demanded that a full refund be made. I was told that it was not possible as I, in fact, checked in on the booked date.

I informed AGODA that I did not use booking ID [protected] as I was under the impression that the same was cancelled and could not be rebooked and used another room booked by Ms. PECILLER.

Still, your company refused to refund the entire amount of USD 1, 124.45 to my husband’s credit card.

Again, I personally cancelled booking id [protected] more than 7 days prior to arrival. I followed the voice prompt until it informed me that the booking was already cancelled and would not be rebooked.

In fact, when we tried to check in at the Marina Bay Sands under our name, we were told that the hotel was fully booked. Had booking ID [protected] was still valid, we would have been informed by the Hotel that we have booked a room but that did not happen and we had to use the room booked by Ms. Peciller.

I am demanding for the refund of the entire amount of USD 1, 124.45 as booking id [protected] was cancelled on 11 March 2013.

Hoping for your favorable action on the matter.

Di