Afni, Inc. / Fraudulent collection notice

I received a collection notice, stating the Original Creditor is Verizon Communications and that I should NOT contact them. The phone number is bogus. It is not even in the correct area code to where I live! They suggest that it is in my best interest to resolve this account. They threaten a negative credit report reflecting on my credit record if I fail to fulfill the terms. They refer to Rosenthal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and the Federal Fair Debt Collection Practices act. I shall contact the FTC to report this fraud. I hope others do the same. This is outrageous considering I have not had a Phone in my name for TWENTY YEARS!!!

Comments

• Ao
      21st of Jan, 2007

I received a bogus collection notice stating Verizon Communications as the original creditor. I haven't had a phone in my name for TWENTY YEARS! AFNI COLLECTIONS, you screwed up big time!

• Na
      11th of Feb, 2007

I received several letters threatening to sue me for 314.00 for a Verizon bill that was over five years old. This company is breaking the law by trying to collect an noncollectable debt. I have requested that they no longer contact me and I also turned them into the Better Business Bureau. We'll see how it all turns out...

27th of May, 2007

I had a recent letter from AFNI. I actually found them to be pretty reasonable when I finally spoke with them.

The debt was to Verizon (formerly GTE) and was about 15 years old. It actually dated to a time when my mother continued to have her phone listed in my father's name after his death. When she moved out of state, the people she rented her ouse here to were able to fraudulently continue the service.

The only really frustrating thing is that I had already sent another agency a copy of the death certificate and I wasn't about to pay for another copy.

I gave them the most recent address of the tenants and wished them good luck as the statute of limitations is long passed on the fraud and they would have to take a number for a long line on these people even if they could pursue it criminally.

• Su
      3rd of Aug, 2007

On July 30, 2007 I received a collection notice from this company stating that I owed Verizon New York Inc. a past due amount of $399.? After numerous attempts to get them on the phone, I sent a letter and email stating that I do not have any outstanding debts.

After reading many of the same complaints from people about this company, it is a disgrace that they are able to continue this scam.

Susan

• Ca
      9th of Oct, 2007

Ugh - this company is horrible. I have complained to the BBB, FTC and my state Attorney's office. We'll see what happens. I gave all three the address to this web site so they can see how extensive this fraudulent activity is.

24th of Jan, 2008

I do not know who the hell these peoplem are. They want me to write out a check for 700.00. They must be crazy. Where do they get off doing this. I am calling the better business bureau.

25th of Jan, 2008

I recently pulled my credit report and saw a negative charge on my credit report for a company named afni collections stating a delinquent account for verizon in the amount of $80.00 and is now impacting my credit. I have no idea where this came from considering that I had verizon just a few short months ago and canceled my service and paid my bills in full and verizon has no account of me being past due for anything and stated that if I was they wouldn't have turned my service on for me this time. who the hell are these people???

• Es
      1st of Feb, 2008

Few months ago, I checked my credit report and it showed one collection item from Verizon for $361.00 since 9-2006 . The name of the collection company is AFNI, Inc. I tried to contact them and the lady I talked to gave me the information on the account. The verizon tel# is from a different state & of course, the address is different. Our Verizon acct is not & was never in my name. Meaning, I do not have any acct with Verizon under my name. I have never moved & have been in the same address since 1988. AFNI Inc advised me to go to their website and fill out an e-form and enter the reason of dispute. I did but they never took it off. I also visited the website of Experian and it lets you remove all the info that doesn't belong to you. I saw an address that AFNI gave and I deleted it off of my records. I checked my credit report again today and that collection item is still there. It is impacting my credit. I have 2 questions: 1-why is it that there is only one creditor that AFNI is collecting for? 2-How can I resolve this issue?

• Fa
      14th of Mar, 2008

BECAREFUL WHEN YOU CALL VERIZON, WHEN YOU CALL TO SPEAK WITH VERIZON'S COLLECTIONS DEPT THEY TRANSFER YOU TO AFNI, INC......

I AM CANCELLING MY VERIZON ACCOUNT.. If you also have verizon you might want to think about doing the same. Thanks to verizon now strangers/scammers at afni, inc have our information. If you ask an afni, inc for their last name they'll tell you that they can not give you that information mean while they have our info and ss# thanks to verizon.

Let people know how verizon sold our information to afni,inc. they are scammers afni, inc is now givin my phone number to other telemarketing company/scammer .. I am in the do not call list and I have never received any unwanted calls but now after afni, inc guess what my phone doesn’t stop ringing by scammer… I have googled the numbers that are calling me and they are scams….

Verizon should also get sued for selling our info to a company that’s into scam afni, inc has a bad name. They have the worst collection dept, rude unprofessional workers that are trying to make money off of people that don’t even owe money for unpaid bills way past the SOL….