A&E Factory Service / incompetent technicians

1 United States

I have a Maytag Neptune TL washing machine that I have had for 4 years. Just recently it started not draining and wouldn't go to the spin cycle. Called A&E and a tech. came out and looked it over. He didn't know what was wrong with it so he calls his boss and the boss is walking him through all these test. He came to the conclusion that it was the pump that was broke since it wouldn't drain. So they have to order the part that was $77 and would take 3-4 days to arrive. So that part arrives and a different tech. comes out this time. He installs the new pump and starts the washer and again it will not drain and go to spin cycle. So he messes around with for a while and decides that it is the clutch that is bad not the pump. So I have now been without a washer for a little over 2 weeks. I have a wife and 2 children under that age of 3. Laundry is piling up. So tech. tells me the clutch will be about $230. I told him no thanks. He tells me to call A&E to get a refund on the pump as it was not the problem. Now I am very handy and I should have done this in the first place...i started taking the washer apart myself. removed the tub and examined the clutch. The clutch worked fine I just cleaned it and greased it. As I went further I found the problem. The main bearing on the tub had seized up and wasn't allowing the tub to spin...hence wouldn't go into spin cycle. I removed the bearing with a little work and cleaned it, removed any debris, repacked it with grease and it is spinning like brand new. I reassembled the machine and it works. Needless to say the next day we did 6 loads of laundry. Now the next complaint is my refund. It has now been a week and still no response from the billing department and they told me to expect a call by Oct. 11th which is another week. So just a heads up to everyone...If you can't manually spin the tub by hand when the machine is off then its probably the bearing.

JOHN H.