ADT / not relaying the correct address to an emergency call and poor installation

ADT Home Security Alarm Systems - www.adt.com

In the spring of 2007 (March) my wife and I were out of the country. Our key holders had a call on the garage. They checked out the garage in the morning and found nothing. They reset the alarm in the garage like they set the alarm in the house. ADT dispatched an Ambulance to our house. The key holders asked the call be cancelled and ADT refused. To add to this situation the wrong address was given so the Ambulance wasted one and a half hours and never did show up at my house. The key holders were very upset over this as they are in there 70’s. They informed us they wanted nothing to do with the ADT security system anymore.

I did some research when I returned home and the caller has to cancel the emergency dispatch vehicle (ADT). I was very upset. Nowbody else in the neighborhood wanted anything to do with ADT security system in our house. Most people are retired or summer residents. I asked for a report on this incident and never received it. I called and asked to cancel the service and was told there was a signed agreement and I had to keep paying no matter what the circumstances. Unfortunately we got into a shouting match on the phone. I was very frustrated with the service and the fellow I was talking to didn’t really seem to care about my situation.

I submitted a complaint to the better business beaureau in Florida. This went no where and got the same results as my discussion with the rep. I was called from Calgary and spoke to John Baker at [protected] at 8:45 AM in Calgary. I had a nice talk and thought we agreed that an apology to the key holders would smooth things out. My initial contact was from Mexico. We agreed I would call when I returned and his manager would be in and the matter would be resolved.

I returned the call several times after returning from Mexico and none of my calls were answered or returned.

Since then I have talked another fellow into being the key holder and while I was showing him how the system works in the garage I pushed the third button on the left on the keypad and ADT called wanting to send an ambulance. This button is not marked; this button in the house is used to set the (away) alarm. When I was talking to the call centre I was told that pushing # and 3 together got an ambulance dispatch. So the keypad was not set up properly from the get go. If this keypad had been marked as it was set up to operate we would have never had this problem.

I called the emergency response in Parkland County and asked them exactly what they wanted for a address to respond to a call out. I then adjusted my call out address with ADT. I thought this would have been
ADT’s area of expertise! I am also miffed as to why you insist in including a Postal code with the response address as it has nothing to do with where we live.

What bothers me the most is the lack of interest in my problem and now I find it goes back to the original installation and having to find the problem myself.

Comments

• Lo
      25th of Jul, 2008

Terrible company-Beware! I signed a contract 9 months in advance and paid 50% up front when I renovated my house. They botched my job so badly-wires coming out of the floor and other wires stuck in the walls and not accessible after the drywall went in. I hired another wonderful company to do the work and ADT never returned my deposit money ffter months of sending letters and calling. Finally, I got the deposit back from my credit card company and now ADT can dispute it with them. They had the nerve to charge me $750 for prewire services and I will dispute that even if it costs triple the amount to fight it in small claims. This company is a joke!

28th of Jul, 2010

ADT Security is a joke! And a ripoff too!
    I know because I worked for them for almost 2 years as a commercial and residential service engineer in Arizona.
    I designed, installed and tested technical security systems at US embassies and consulates before I retired from the USG and went to work for ADT. I am an electronic engineer and had specialized USG training in all aspects of technical security. I did military communications systems engineering for 23 years prior to working in security.
    When ADT hired me, they promised 30 days of training and I got nothing! They also said I would earn $75k but it was less than half that amount. And ADT managers, who knew nothing about security, expected and demanded that service personnel do at least 7 service calls per day, regardless of the complexity of the problem. Service crews were sent out with no parts and often had to call other service personnel to see if they were nearby and had the part needed.

ADT installs alarm systems that do not work and when a burglary does happen, they tell the customer ADT is not liable since the customer did not test his alarm system monthly as they are supposed to do.
    Most homeowners would not even know if their system was communicating or not with ADTs monitors (they either have a communication link over a telephone circuit or a wireless connection via a cell radio transmitter). I personally saw situations where the system was installed and not working properly and the customer had been paying for months or up to a year without knowing it.
    Yet despite all the shortcomings, ADT sees fit to charge $30-40 a month for a false sense of security - it's all about profit and little to do with customer service and satisfaction.
    And ADT has no installation standards, installer training, or spare parts on service trucks. I was sent to one customer’s home which was about a 1 hour ride away; when I arrived he needed a few standard 1.5 volt batteries and I had none on my truck. I had to drive to the nearest Ace hardware and buy them using my own money. At other residences, I found the heavy alarm panel mounted with only drywall screws (it was falling off the wall), exposed conductors on wires, panels installed upside down, and sensors that had been installed days ago falling off.
    ADT sales reps know little about security principles and how to design a proper alarm system. They advertize the $99 special, which is OK for a studio apartment at best, and then use the bait and switch scam to get the customer to shell out $1000 or more for an “expanded” home alarm system. Sales reps are out to maximize the total sale dollar amount since they get paid on commission.
    And ADT will take over any system ever installed by anyone else, as long as the customer pays the $30-40 monthly fee. Then ADT will not have trained personnel or parts to support these odd ball systems when they do fail.
    Buyer beware! It is a known fact that a big guard dog is a better deterrent for burglary! And keep in mind that a critical factor for any alarm system is the time it takes for police to respond to the alarm– if you are in a remote location and it takes 30 minutes for police to get there, burglars have this much time to crash and grab.