AARP / membership dues

1 NY, United States Review updated:

Today I received a third bill for my AARP membership dues with a letter telling me that I probably forgot to pay them on time. I received the first notice in January. The problem lies in the fact that my dues aren't due until 6/30/09. When I called AARP today they told me that they send out the bill SIX MONTHS BEFORE IT''S DUE. I feel that this policy is taking advantage of the elderly by an organization that is suppose to be their advocate. Many members would have gone ahead and paid it when they got the first notice. I think that AARP shouldn't send out bills for dues until a month before previous memberships' expire, like any other organization would. Shame on them!

Comments

• Wa

Sept 4, 2009
    Attn: Billing Department
    I have received a bill for due, which is not due until January 1, 2010. I did not receive a valid thru date. I am concern now because I have been a member since 1988. If I have to pay for my one year subscription 6 months ahead. This is not fair along with every Tom Dick and Harry billing more and more ways to get Seniors to pay ahead. If this is the way that you plan, please return my portion of the unused amount and cancell my subscription.

Mrs. Wanda L. Hall
    Membership Number 044330255
    PS: Please respond as soon as possible

3rd of Sep, 2009

I have submitted my complaint in the above to you with all the information that you have requested...please respond as soon as possible.

3rd of Sep, 2009

This is the second time that I have submitted my complaint and answered all of your questions?

• Li
      22nd of Dec, 2011

Advocating for seniors is a serious responsibility and billing for membership renewal 6 months premature is a violation of that trust which each member places in the organization when joining. We also never received our valid thru stickers for year one of our membership. We have just paid our renewal for year two, one month prior to my husbands birthday date as should be done. I'm glad to see that AARP has addressed the bill date problem, but now how about our stickers? Having never received them the first year, we have not be able to present our card for any AARP discount programs and therefore feel a rebate should be refunded by AARP for those unused benefits promised. Basically our membership was a magazine subscription and nothing else this past year. I look forward to a prompt reply from AARP regarding this sticker issue. Any such mailing should be clearly marked (important membership confirmation information enclosed) so that it is not confused with the sundry solicitations proffered by AARP annually.
    Stephen & Lisa Selbe Membership #327207029 7
    eMail : lisaselbe@hotmail.com phone: 949-722-6424
    ps Your web site spell check should acknowledge your AARP acronym. Usually the software for such gadgets allows for vocabulary to be added to the dictionary and your webmaster should be able to correct this.