24 Hour Fitness / gym falling apart

1 Bellflower Blvd.Long Beach, CA, United States Review updated:

The Family Fitness Center on Bellflower and Spring st. is falling apart. Broken mirrors, ungodly locker room stench, and disabled workout machines are a constant factor here. I never see an employee wiping down body fluids on benches left by indifferent patrons or employees making sure that rules are being followed on gym floor. (Screaming and throwing heavy weights on floor). Employees seem to be only concerned with chatting on cell phones or trying to enlist future prospects to a long, expensive contract. Many of the personal trainers are overweight or bone thin and need to be in training themselves.

Comments

Da
  16th of Dec, 2008

I agree in large part. Many of the night employees are lazy and the equipment/lockers/doors/showers stay broken for long periods of time. The locker room, shower room, sauna and steam room need thorough disinfectant type cleaning. One night clerk is a particular jerk as he obnoxiously confronts members about petty rules. He's a Hitler in waiting with a very bad arrogant attitude.

Lb
  9th of Sep, 2009

The Long Beach gym is by and large in disrepair and the machines that everyone wants to use always seem to be broken. There are a number of other issues with employee treatment of members, not enforcing their own rules, billing practices, unethical behavior, etc, etc, etc.

If corporate giants such as 24 hour fitness fail to realized that they have an image, employee, business practices problem then they will eventually fail! But only if people put their money where their hearts are. If they do you wrong and fail to make it right or at the very least acknowledge it, then walk away, cancel your membership and tell them why you are cancelling. Encourage others to do the same. Boycotting is a time honored practice and is OUR part of the checks and balances that keeps these giants in shape.

Of the many hundreds of customers that file complaints and suggestions, ten are under the surface that just haven't spoken up, either because they feel it is futile to face the 24 hour machine. I have even heard the employees complain but even they feel powerless to make change.

I recently came to the realization that I no longer wanted to belong to the LB club or any other part of their network due to a sexual harrassment issue I experienced in their locker room against people of same sex orientation. One of the sales/employees was complaining loudly in the presence of a group of men about how disgusting the gays in the sauna room were. The attitude of this guy was unbelievable to me. I called the gym manager on this and demanded that he recieve some harrassment training and offer a letter of apology. She tried to justify his words and went as far as stating that she could not force him to write an apology. I asked for a full refund of my fees to which she still hasn't come through on.

I am cancelled as of the 1st of September 2009. The day I took my stand against the 24 Hour Fitness folks. Grassroots boycott is what I say needs to happen for whatever reason they might have wronged you.