Menu
Comerica Bank
reviews & complaints

Comerica Bank
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

40 complaints
11 resolved 29 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Comerica Bank. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
L
6:00 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I had a Direct Express Card that I received my monthly Social Security Benefits on. Comerica Bank manages these cards. I recently lost my card and called them for a replacement. I was told that a "flag" had been put on my account but the agent did not know why it was flagged. I called for two (2) days appx. 10 to 15 times each day and got a message saying...

1:15 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I am in a dispute with California regarding an vehicle they claimed was located and driven in their state during 2014. The auto was actually in Michigan and registered in MI during that period. CA incorrectly was trying to collect vehicle registration fees, plus penalties. Comerica allowed CA to levy $1, 704 out of my account. I now have no leverage to...

10:26 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

This bank should be fined, closed and made to pay all the middle income people who have been cheated, stole from and helped by this bank to take your money! Nice when you have lots of money! Very crappie when you do not!!! No help when you are stole from or cheated!!! Allowing everyone to cheat you!!! Their fraud crap is a lie just to waste your time!!! I...

Comerica Bank - deposit not credited and overdraft fees charged

On October 3 my monthly direct deposit to my account from my social security was made. I made a funds transfer to make a credit card payment on October 3 and I was charged $25 because I was told that the funds were not available.
When I checked my account activity it shows that the balance at the time of the transfer was $686 which is the correct amount in my account after my social security direct deposit was credited.

This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Twice now in the last 2 months major deposits into Comerica Bank have 'not been scanned' after we made the deposit i.e. the funds never appeared into our account until we called and instigate an investigation. TwiceApparently they are having a problem with their scanners?????? If you run a business, this banking unreliability is unacceptable.

N
1:12 am

Comerica Bank - fees are outrageous

My husband went into the lobby to ask about the $42 fee on our account. They said we had an overdraft (which never shows on the account) and that we should change to a "no fee" account. Once again there is a $35 service fee on our account this month. So much for a no fee account. I counted the transactions on our account for the month and there were 46. There are so many banks that have free business checking for up to 200 transactions per month. Just don't even bother with this bank. They are greedy and incompetent!
Now I have to go into the lobby and try to get the fee back that I was not supposed to be charged. Just not worth the time and aggravation. Stay away!

4:26 pm

Comerica Bank - missing funds

on my Debit card January second i was to make a purchase when i went to pay my debt card was minuse $12.99 for what i do not no it was just taken i would like to locate the source

7:34 pm

Comerica Bank - bogus fees

I withdrew all of my money and closed my account over a month ago. They immediately put a 5.00 fee against my (closed) account, which of course was immediately overdrawn, because there was nothing in the "closed" account. They have contracted a collection agency against me and they have been calling me 6-8 times daily to try and collect 42.00 plus in their fees. 5.00 because they "said so" (and needed a random amount to overdraw) and another 37.00 because their "SAID SO" 5.00 was was overdrawn. STAY AWAY FROM THIS BANK! CONSIDER YOURSELF WARNED! POOR BUSINESS PRACTICES!

1:44 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I have never been treated so badly by any "customer service" rep. Her name was Nelly, she was beyond rude. In fact, I have never been treated that badly in my life. WIll be contacting BBB to let them know what kind of business this bank is running. Not only did Comerica not send me out a new card before mine expired, they then said they were Rushing a card...

3:39 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

COMERICA BANK IMPROPERLY DEACTIVATED MY CARD THAT I REPORTED STOLEN ON OR ABOUT THE 15-16 OF MARCH. SUBSEQUENTLY MY ENTIRE SSI BENEFIT WAS TAKEN FROM MY ACCOUNT. A NEW CARD WAS ISSUED TO ME AS IF THE CARD( #5332-4808-3461-7142) AS WAS DEACTIVATED. WHEN I CONTACTED THE DIRECT EXPRESS PEOPLE AT 1888-741-1115 I WAS TOLD FOR THE SECOND TIME THAT THE CARD WAS...

9:05 pm

Comerica Bank - wish I could prosecute

They do not fulfill on anything that they promise. I specifically asked to cancel relationships with certain online businesses. I even signed documentation to stop ACH transactions on my account. They continue to charge and accept fees. Terrible company.
Another great con for them is this. I set up a free bank account. There were no monthly fees. In January of this year I receive a MISC. $5 fee saying it is for monthly maintanence. Then they don't charge me for Feb. or March.

Mar 07, 2011 1:34 am

I think both of you need to go back and actually read the comment that was made. I did not basically tell you anything Stealth Pilot. I stated that your personal attachment to your comments suggest some kind of relationship. That was all. Never once did I doubt your knowledge of banks.

People can most certainly disagree with whatever they want.

Either way I am done commenting on this post. It was a disagreement that I have with my bank from personal conversations that I have had with managers who are employed by them.

Mar 07, 2011 1:06 am

Don't really consider myself whining. It was a complaint which is what this site was made for.
Second don't talk to me like you know me or are better than me. Got it?

Mar 06, 2011 11:00 pm

When you sign a document stating that your account does not allow ACH transactions, they should not allow such charges. Now that is common sense.
Second I have no responsibility to open a damn envelope as you say. I have even mentioned the preferred method of contact to be through email. The point was simply that they can change and charge whatever they want.
Good damage control though. Sounds like you probably work for them the way you take offense.

11:04 am

Comerica Bank - gives no reason

I had a business bank account for over a year with Comerica because they could support our California and Michigan offices. Well the time came to get an address updated and new debit cards. The Comerica rep asked me for paperwork that they lost, so I went and got the paperwork for them and then they didn't follow up. I called, called, called then finally the same reprensentative in the branch in Clarkston, Michigan answered and said she can't speak with me and the manager would call me. The manager called and said we have to terminate the relationship. I did nothing wrong, so I was very confused. I escalated the situation and everyone was the same..very short with responses and zero reason given. So we moved our account to another bank and filed a complaint with the Attorney General. I've never been treated so poorly as I was by the representatives at Comerica Bank in Clarkston, Michigan.

2 comments
N
Jul 14, 2015 12:12 pm

We voluntarily gave back a mobile home back in 2002, with the belief if we did so that Comerica, who offered the deal would honor their part. they had us sign a deed in lieu and a deficiency waiver. a couple of years later they sued us anyways, and have been garnishing my husbands wages for about 7 years. They have collected 60 thousand dollars so far, and now want 59 thousand in interest. The amount in my opinion is way above and beyond any deficiency on a mobile home. We wondered for years why we did not get any notice or warning of garnishments so that we could defend ourselves. Recently we pulled the entire court case from the records and found they have been sending notice to a home we have not lived in for 10 years! I am pretty sure they are intelligent enough to figure out we haven't live there in a decade, and feel this is deliberate. I am going to try and object and perhaps even sue them for what i don't know yet, but what ever legal means and rights we have we are going to use them. My question, we never received a copy of the waiver or the dil, that they promised to mail us, once again duped by our trusting their word. Do we have a chance to gain back anything? At this point just stopping them from garnishing would be a Godsend, but some of that money returned would be a bonus.

Jul 02, 2012 9:40 pm

Comercia bank stole 6k dollars from my checking account in less than 6 months with bogus rearranging of nsf fees! ecently they withdrew money i deposited to pay for business insurance and gave the insurance co my comerica debit card- Insurance calls me the next day & says im cancelled because Comerica again withdrew all my money leaving my business unisured- The past 2 weks I called for help about unauthorized withdrawls because i dont have a debit card or checks for the acct-no help---Comerica bank stoole 6k dollars from my checking account...under the guise of there nsf ponzi scheme. I have no business insurance- due to comerica stealing from my checking account & absolutely no help- I video taped them all & will upload to u tube---

H
9:06 pm

Comerica Bank - held funds

My elderly parents have banked with Comerica for years. My father passed away in April and I have had to hire caretakers to take care of my mother, who has mild Alzheimers, trying to keep her in her own home. One of her caretakers, a very kind lady who happens to be black, took my mother with her to Comerica to cash her check. They wouldn't cash it for her and the next day froze my mother's account due to "suspicious activity". I wonder what was so suspicious? I continued to pay my mother's bills from the checking account because they also DID NOT NOTIFY US that they had frozen the account. We found out when the checks started being returned and we got bank fee charge notices from Comerica! Keep in mind that there was $20k+ in the account. Major ordeal to get her money back to her, costly to us. Who do they think they are? Big brother of banking. Don't bank there.

3 comments
Nov 17, 2011 8:24 pm

Nice of you three to comment on this, BUT YOURE MISSING THE POINT!

The bank should notify someone that the account is frozen. Action, reaction. If they do not have an email address to contact THEN GET ON THE ###ING PHONE.

Don't defend comerica, they are functionally ###ed at best.

I
Oct 11, 2011 12:23 am

I agree with you guys.. elderly people are looked out for. And why do you have to put race in this?... ignorant

M
May 21, 2011 6:07 pm

I agree with dawniette. What an absurd complaint. It's called elder abuse and it is a very real problem. Look it up.

C
10:47 am

Comerica Bank - over draft fees

Comerica Bank has the same policies in place for checking accounts as Wells Fargo. Recently there was a Federal Judge that awarded Wells Fargo customers over 200 million dollars from unfair trade practices. To be specific, Comerica processes all transactions in a checking account from largest to smallest regardless of when the transaction took place. Any check that comes in to your account gets paid first ahead of any Visa Check Debits regardless of what you may have seen on the banks online register. Largest to smallest paid checks can wipe out a persons checking account by charging extreme amounts of fees. Can you imagine having thirty Visa Check Debit transactions over two days being circumvented by one large check that comes into the account? A single check mistake can wipe out a persons bank account and create a financial nightmare. The banks policy was a result of focus groups that were asked what would they rather have and the result was pay the larger check over any smaller amounts. There is no way anyone would agree to 30 transaction fees wiping out a checking account at 37.00 each by paying one large check. Banks like Amegy Bank process their customer transactions properly. They process all Visa Check Debits first then debits followed by checks. Amegy Bank processes largest to smallest but checks are processed last which is what real customer service is all about. Amegy still understands that I am a customer and their business practices confirm that. So as you can see I am making my bank Amegy bank and goodbye Comerica.

8:23 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I used the ATM machine at my local Comerica branch. The machine did not give me the money. I reported this immediately to the bank. The people at the branch were unable to help me. The bank took the money out of my account. The ATM is serviced by a third party, so the branch manager and tellers all told me that there is nothing they can do. They said 'they...

C
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

My husband, Tierce Smith passed away Auguest 9, 2002. THere is a rich rewards checking account in this institution, with a balance of approximately $5, 800, which I have been trying to obtain the funds since after my husband's passing. I have been stonewalled, treated rudely, lied to, and I have been denied these funds for over 7 years. I have contacted...

K
1:36 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

My parents and I live in WI - Opened a trust for my brother (CA) and I (WI) Mom died (my brothersKEITH JAMES MUELLER & wife of 5 years(CYNTHIA MUELLER - of Saratoga, CA came to WI took everything 0 heirlooms, antiques, carnival glass, art and the original Trust made in 1986- chucked the real will/trust (revised by mom and dad in 2004 because they feared...

View 0 more photos
P
1:25 pm

Comerica Bank - identity theft

Where is Robin Hood when we need him? Our daily news is over run with the debate regarding the necessity of governmental monitoring of one thing or another. Why is it we never see the topic of discussion addressing financial institutions? By financial instituions I mean banks. I am one of the millions who trusted my bank, viewed my statement on line every day, pay bills on line, and purchased goods on line as well. I was doing my part to aid our economy believe me.

One day just before Thanksgiving 2007, while reviewing my statement online, I notice pending charges in excess of $149 from a transaction I did not make. So I call the telephone number attached to the transaction and inquire. After a brief conversation with an operator from a company I'd never heard of, I explained to the gentleman how he had just stolen money from the wrong person and he needed to contact his superior and have the funds reversed. And, he needed to take care of it prior to my contacting my banks legal department, which was the next phone call I was going to make.

I felt somewhat confident in my bank coming to my aid as I was contacting someone prior to the transaction completion as well as providing them with the information I obtained through my investigations.
The response I received was shocking to say the least. Don't get me wrong, I did receive their empathy, but that's all I received. Oh sure, they were willing to issue a stop payment against the charges, along with a $35 fee to me. And, that didn't really guarantee they could issue it in time. Then I was informed I could always take my chances because some times charges of "this nature" sometimes just "fall off" and never charge against the account. No such luck for me. This did charge against my account and forced legetimate transactions into over draft or NSF status, of which I had to pay.

I was forced to go to the bank branch, fill out the paper work to get my money back, try to prove a time-line in which the bank deducted the fees so I could re-gain some of my lost funds. I then had to back track to the merchants I wrote checks to and hope they didn't charge me a returned check fee. I did end up paying for one because Comerica refused to accept the responsibility.

Our banking institutions are simply too protected by legal loop-holes so it's no wonder there is such a high rate of identity theft.

Companies are getting rich off societies fear of having, of all things their identity stolen! I like looking at myself in the mirror every morning knowing I have an idea of what it means to have integrity and humanity. It was a sad day when it was discovered how one human being could cheat another to advance themselves.
The only statement I have left to say is I hope those of you participating in these activities find your way out soon because you are not as smart as you think. We are on to you and we are wise beyond what you can comprehend. We have learned to move on and find strength in something greater than you or anything you have done.

2 comments
B
May 26, 2013 7:37 am

Comerica banks sucks as it does not protect the customer. They use your money. They continue to make money off you by outlandish fees and charges going back as far as 12 years saying you owe them. Ask them to make a correction on mistakes made by them they claim they can only back 2 months and are otherwise clueless as to what you may be referring to. Only then you to find out how they have they have managed to escape governing regulation loop holes to finance their law suits and their other banking losses.

L
Mar 10, 2010 2:49 am

I also have a problem with the bank charging me over draft fees when my statement that I pull off the internet that the Bank Manager told me that is not correct and I should not go by that information so why is it there.
When my card was used charged and I called the company and canceled the transtion and went to my bank to get a new card because I had canceled my card and to get other help with my account I was told by the San Jose Branch on East Santa Clara Street that they company should not give me a new Atm card because I don't know how to use it. Even though Comerica Bank charges your account when it is still pending and when the item goes through and you have a positive amount they think that is legal and they cann't produce paperwork to show me in writing that is correct way to do business.

Weather its on the phone or in person they treat you like you don't know what you are talking about even if you own your own business and have a background in ACCOUNTING AND AUDITING ACCOUNTS.

go to a credit union I hear they are better

E
5:56 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Comerica bank rip-off over draft fees they charge my account $370.00 with fees, for maount of $ 68.00 all under $5.00 ATM charge i was chcking the online it shows positive when i went to the bank for deposit, they * Comerica bank " charge my account $ 370.00 woth of crapp fees, so someone please tell me is this capitalism law if so what the what ### do...

12:00 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I went to Comerica Bank to purchase a money order for $90. I layed the cash on the counter and was told that I could not just purchase a money order with U.S. Currency. I had to withdraw the money from my account and then purchase the money order. The manager told me that they were complying with homeland security rules and that the teller could go to jail...

Comerica Bank contacts