Circle Kcharging for ice bringing in own cups

N

I am a daily customer at the Circle K/kangaroo/BP in Chelsea AL. I buy gas there, I buy donuts there, I buy Gatorade there, sometimes milk when I don't want to go to Walmart, and my children drink about a gallon a day. My point is, I spend money there DAILY. Since Chelsea is a small town, yours is the only store that has what I call pellet ice. It's sort of like crushed ice but it's in pellets. It's my absolute favorite. I would have to go into Birmingham otherwise to get it and with two small children, that's just not feasible. I also have a collection of cups that I rotate by buying there and then throwing out as a week goes by, and so on and so on. Last week during spring break, I was at my parents in Panama City FL and was told by a regional manager at a Circle K there that as long as "we"(the customers) have our own cups, it's against policy with them to charge us for ice. Last year, ice was $.25 a cup even if we brought our own cup FROM THE SAME STORE! This year, it went up to $.35 a cup. I love water, I love ice, but I'm very particular about the kind of ice I enjoy. It's one of my "guilty pleasures" as a busy mother, hey, I could be worse. Every time I go in there, or should my husband, who they know is my husband coming to get ice for me, a different cashier tells a different story and one time I was charged over $7 FOR ICE! I usually get between 4-8 cups and are usually rotate one or 2 cups out every day. So I understand being charged FOR THE CUP $.75, but for the ICE? My husband just returned a few minutes ago with 6 cups of ice, he had been earlier today but went ahead and got some ice because he had to go get gas, and was somehow charged $2.26? That's not even a reasonable number!? I'm not the only one they're doing this to obviously, it's our whole town. If another manager, a regional manager, tells me as long as we have our own cups that ice is not supposed to be charged at all, why am I spending anywhere from 3 to 7 dollars a day for ice when I should be charged at the most $.75 to $1.50? Times are tough, and I have three children and something as simple as ice should not be such a rip off and so complicated. I've even thought about possibly looking into getting my own machine and charging a dime and letting people come to my back porch and get it! Joke but still! Is there anything that can be done? Thanks.

Mary L Gabaldon Apr 05, 2021

I was told that with covid-19 we couldn't take in our own cups. Yes or no? I understand that but 79 cent's for a big cup of ice? No cup cost's . 79 cent's please let me know what's the right thing to do?

• As
    Ashley Bennett Jan 10, 2020

This is literally the exact story I have! One store about 5 miles away says free with your own cup because you're paying for the CUP not the ice! However the store 1 mile or less from my house charges us and tells me were wrong and treats us horribly and talks badly about us because of us trying to stick up for our rights per their policy! So I just googled if anyone was having a similar issue and found your post. Was this ever resolved for you? I found a coorporate complaint number and will be calling them next. If in fact they confirm its free with my own cup Im requesting to be reimbursed or given a store gift card for the $2.00 I've been wrongly forced to pay for over 2 years a day now at their store! I think the cashiers pocket it! Please let me know what your update is! I'll post back here after my call to coorporate.