CIC Triple AdvantageMisleading advertisement that should be illegal

W

I fell for the advertised "Free credit report" and requested it through freecreditreport.com. I should have spent time reading the terms of the service, but I hope my lesson will be a warning for you.

I got my free report from this website. Two months later I noticed two charges from "CIC Triple Advantage" on my credit card in the amount of $12.95 per month. I contacted my credit card company but they said nothing they can do. I then called [protected] to cancel my membership I signed up for without realizing it. It seemed the monthly charges have stopped and the "free credit report" cost me $26.00.

So, before you enter you billing information, take the time to read what's on the left side of the screen of their website.

And it says the following:

"When you order your free report here, you will begin your free trial membership in Triple AdvantageSM Credit Monitoring. If you don't cancel your membership within the 30-day trial period, you will be billed $12.95 for each month that you continue your membership.

johnsmith1965 Dec 01, 2010

I am very surprised the FBI has not done anything. Mr. Robert Fosmire should be brought up on theft charges, not to mention other mail fraud charges. We all must be careful who we elect into public office. Our elected officials are solely responsible to eliminating this type of illegal activity.

• Li
    Licensy Nov 06, 2009

I wanted to check on my credit score so I visited CIC because they offered a free credit report. A week later they charged me a 14.95 dollar fee for that report.

• Re
    recoverx Jun 15, 2009

It's a bank statement, and it's a small town local bank that works a little differently than larger banks. Also I figured it was a charge from one of the gaming websites I'm signed up on until I googled it and went back over all my statements. 67% of the 9721 complaints on BBB.org received a full refund from the company, so we'll see

• Re
    recoverx Jun 15, 2009

Apparently I signed up for Freecreditreport.com back in september of 06, which back then the site wasn't as developed and I had no idea I was going to get charged for my free credit report. Apparently I've been getting charged since. The total I've payed is 536.70$
    I will be calling my bank today and the company as well as the BBB. Hopefully I'll get my refund from someone.

• Le
    Leanne Davis May 21, 2009

I sign up for the free one time credit report. They took $14.95 from my account without my Approvel. How do I go about getting my money back?

• Sl
    SLH May 13, 2009

If you are a Countrywide customer, it could be because you accepted a free offer from them because your loan information was compromised and freecreditreport.com did not process it properly.

Call [protected].

Write

Consumer Relations Group
    PO Box 19729
    Irvine, CA 92623

• Cs
    c.sunni May 12, 2009

I checked online a few months ago trying to get info about my credit history. I found some things on my credit history that ain't even mine...they belong to a friend before he died. My name was NEVER on any of his accounts.
    I only looked online for 1 damn day and now every month you have been taking out money from my bank account. WHY!!!

Cheryl Conkey
    Grand canyon, AZ

[email protected]

• Tt
    TTB Mar 31, 2009

This service is horrible. Tried to cancel and the representative started yelling at me that I indeed signed up to receive their services! I know I never did and had to yell back to get the service cancelled. The [protected] number gets you nowhere. Call [protected] to cancel.

• Al
    Alton Burt Mar 17, 2009

I signed up on the internet to get a free credit report and of course a credit card was reqiured. I was charged $1.00 dollar right then and so I have tried to canx numerous of times. I have been chrged $15.88 now for the first month but I am unable to even get a credit report from them now... How do I canx these charges????

Please advise

• Be
    Ben Mar 10, 2009

I never entered my card information on freecreditreport.com and all the sudden I end up seeing charges monthly for $14.95. When I called the company they confirmed that I had not logged onto the site since my initial log in yet they still had charged me for 4 months of membership when they had it documented I didn't even visit the site or call or use any service rendered by them since November they refused to give me a refund and I am in the process of filing with my bank to get the issue solved!

• Pl
    plbadders Feb 28, 2009

Husband wanted to check problems on our credit report and used this company and another. They are taking $14. 95 out of our checking account monthly and i would like them to stop. Not so "free". Bank says we must cancel directly with the merchant.

• Gr
    gringarussell Jan 25, 2009

Like many people I am also being charged $14.50 for a service I do not use, I thought it was free and I don't know how they got my Bank Account Number, does anyone know there number, I would be very much oblidged

• Nn
    nnllaa123 Jan 18, 2009

This is January 2009. Back in April of 2008 I requested a free credit report via freecreditreport.com on line. I recently found out that this company has been charging my credit card $14.95 every month since August 2008 only after I contacted my credit card company regarding another matter ( I must have overlooked it). I never purchased, authorized a purchase or anthing else from this company. I went online to check them out and found thousands of complaints from other people saying the same thing. This company scams and fraudulently charges credit cards after someone requests a "free credit report." Contact your credit card company, cancel your card and report this company to everyone who will listen to you including the Better Business Bureau. When I called my credit company, they indicated that they were "aware of issues" with this company. Chances are, if you contact your credit card company they are already aware of trouble with this internet company and will not hassle you if you file a complaint and dispute the charges.

Samantha Jan 06, 2009

My husband and I both signed up to get FREE credit reports (as stated on CIC's advertising and per federal requirement). Both of us have incurred 3 months of charges as a result of signing up for "free" credit reports. This is fraudulent advertising. I reported this with the BBB and though the BBB contacted them, CIC never responded.

• Lj
    l. joseph days Dec 29, 2008

II just noticed that on my visa bill that this cic triple advantage has been charging my credit card $14.95 a month since June of 08. I have not given them any authorization to bill my card for any type of service and I want it stopped immediately. I also demand to be reimbursed for these charges. I will be contacting the attorney general, the bbb, my visa credit card, and any other place that i can find to get this stopped. These are unauthorized charges and I will see that this type of rip off will be reported.

James Welch Dec 26, 2008

CIC Triple Advantage credit report company strted charging my credit ard account after only reading their website. I believe AOL automatically switched me to that site via an unauthorized pop-up.

• Sh
    Sharon Manning Dec 24, 2008

Signed up for a creddit check then attempted to cancel the service, but am still being billed for it.

• Ed
    edith filson Dec 18, 2008

The CIC Triple Advantage Company keeps charging me for a "FREE" credit report which it did not deliver. Talking to someone on the phone who is from a foriegn country to get it stopped and refunded to my credit card is worthless! I cant understand them and they cant understand me.Please investigate and get this scam stopped. I want it removed from my card!!!

• Da
    darhla levato Dec 10, 2008

I went online to get my free credit report. Never did get all 3 and did not give permission or sign up for continued service. However my bank account has been charged continuous from something I was suppose to receive free.

• Fr
    Frank Yee Dec 09, 2008

It show 30 days free trial. The account was opened on 11/20 and by the 30th, they charged 14.95. I called and they say under the fine print that I have to cancell within 9 days. It took me a long time to find that 9 days statement and my bank card dont' want to help.

• Ri
    Richard Torrellas Nov 30, 2008

On November 28th I was charged $14.98 by CIC Triple Advantage. This happened a couple of weeks after requesting a free credit report on the internet. Please advise on how to stop this.

Regards,

Richard Torrellas

• Mi
    Micah Piper Nov 28, 2008

I was reviewing my statements, and noticed a $15 fee coming out of my bank account every month.

• Ro
    Ron Ski Nov 24, 2008

I was also scammed by FreeCreditReport.com. I guess I fell victim to a catchy commercial. I usually read the fine print, but I guess this time it went un noticed. After calling FreeCreditReport.com they stated they will not refund my money and that I have been enjoying the benefits of this service. The service we were looking for was www.annualcreditreport.com. I won’t be using FreeCreditReport.com services again.

• Me
    Melvin & Pamela Jordan Nov 24, 2008

Scam billing our credit card Visa for $14.95 for both my husband and myself each month for credit service "Never" signed up for. Will call bank and cancel my Visa Card or ask what needs to be done. I called [protected] to cancel subscription and they deny that we are even in the system.

• Ry

18500 Von Karman Avenue Suite 400
    Irvine, CA [protected]

• Je
    Jessica Zarabozo Nov 22, 2008

Like many others, I was charged whit $14.95 this month even when I had canceled the services (that never served) the last month and I had received a confirmation number. What i can do to stop this, please

• Ke
    Ker Cooper Nov 20, 2008

You have been taking money out of my debit card. Why??? I have not received anything and I didn't authorize you to. I want you to quit billing me and take me off any e-mail lists.

• Ti
    Tim Nov 18, 2008

I rated the FreeCreditReport.com website and got $12.00. But I also got billed $14.95/month from CIC*Triple Advantage. The web site is put out by only one of the 3 credit reporting agencies. They give you a credit score (not the one a mortgage lender would use - better off getting a FICO score instead) for their credit agency and charge you to get information from the other two credit agencies.
    Funny commercials, but I learned a costly lesson.
    Haven't got the charges stopped yet and from what I've seen here. Good Luck.

James Roth Nov 16, 2008

To whom it may concern
    I am getting billed $14.95 a month all of a sudden for a service I have not requested, wanted or use. I request that you immediately stop any and all charges to my credit card. Failure to do so will result in me consulting with and taking legal action to ensure this is stopped.

• Pa
    Pattrick Felder-Barker Nov 15, 2008

I am being charged for a fee I do not agree with and the billing to stop immedicately I feel that your company did some type of trickery on me and my credit card acct please stop billing my acct. I do not want any services from you all and do not agree with the whole thing one bit the ref # I have is 2435178NQ399L transaction # [protected] CA for the fee of $ 14.95 please keep me posted and send me a confirmation # that this matter will deleted from my acct. thanks for your time Pattrick Barker

• Wi
    William Lytle Nov 14, 2008

Call this number [protected]. Tell them you did not authorize them to bill your card and you demand they refund your money and cancel the membership. They did for me and were very nice about it (of course you'll have to take the upper hand in this or they will continue to read from their scripts). Just be FIRM but nice and they will take care of it for you.

It is not fair that the 3 credit reporting agencies try to make a buck off of us when we are supposed to get a FREE credit report every 12 months...just goes to show you that NOTHING is ACTUALLY free in this world. Everything has a price. Good Luck.

• Ro
    Roger Kingsley Nov 13, 2008

I have been billed for an unauthorized subscription to Free Credit report. This billing shows up as CIC Triple Advantage on my credit card. I am having a terrible time trying to contact them and get unsubscribed. I would call this fraud and am determined to get this stopped.

• Ha
    haddie n burt Nov 10, 2008

yes this cic triple advantage [protected] ca has been withdrawing 19.90 from my checking account for nine months now and i called them and went to my bank and could not stop it from happeing

• Li
    ligia focsan Nov 05, 2008

My husband used my credit card when he checked freecreditreport.com and since then we are billed each month. I called today my credit card to ask for how long I have been charged 12/month by CIC*TRIPLE ADVANTAGEIRVINE CA. This has been going on at least since last december, the credit card company can't tell me how long I was billed before that. This makes it at least 150$. I called to cancel the memebership and they did not want to cancel it!!! because I lost my credit card and changed my credit cardnumber meanwhile. But they still charge me based on the information my husband put in initially. This is INSANE! They can't cancel my membership because they need an information that is lost. what the hell? they carge it in MY name. my name is not enough?????

• Ba
    Barry Nov 04, 2008

Tryed free credit report then have been billed ever since.
    It may be in the fine print but it is nothing more than a scam and I see many other victums listed complaints. Sham I am a senior living on Sos. Sec. that is my living money. I am a good citizen veterian of the U.S.Coast Guard and this was unwarranted and undeserved . This seems too be a common scam on the internet snagging unsuspecting victoms.

• So
    Sonnetta1 Nov 03, 2008

Call your credit card company and let them know this is a service you don't want, and they will go after the culprit and get all your money back, they did this to me also!
    Mastercard was great, and I got every 12.95 back except one.
    If you can't do that, go to your credit card site and lodge a complaint, there is a form on there to do this.

chrissy

• Di
    Dick Nov 03, 2008

Thought I was getting a free report, ended up w/ a monthly charge of $14.95 on my credit card. When I complained, was told the account would be cancelled and I would receive a credit on the next billing. When I called again, talked to "Latia" who said there would be no refund. She could not or would not transfer me to a supervisor and would not give me a number or adress to contact.

• Ju
    Jumanah Nov 02, 2008

I am being also charged 14.95 monthly and I have no idea where I have to go to stop the charges.

• Ti
    Tinamarie Buffington Oct 27, 2008

This is such a scam. These people are ### suckers. They mess up your credit while trusting that you are doing the right thing by monitring it. How can a company be such a scam? This makes my blood boil that this company can fraudulently obtain my banking info and get money from me. I will continue to fight this and pass on there scam to everyone.