Choice Home Warrantyhome warranty insurance

S May 18, 2018 Review updated:

My very 1st claim was an A.C. compressor. It was denied as preexisting. Eventhough the compressor was working at the time I purchased the home warranty plan and over 30 for contract activation). I received a long chain letter basically saying it is not possible for an air conditioner compressor to fail. Also that a compressor failing could not be due to normal wear and tear. I appealed with: A "grounded compressor" or "compressor short to ground" means that an electrical winding inside the compressor has broken and hit the side of the compressor. This causes a direct short to ground, igniting the oil and causing a burnout. And, of course, the circuit breaker trips due to the sudden current surge.
The expected life expectancy of a compressor is 10 to 15 years. This one is 12 years old. That is within its normal life expectancy and is the definition of normal wear and tear. The system has been maintained at least once a year. In the Arizona heat connectors and wires go bad. Again normal wear and tear and that is all it takes to ground a compressor. This is not a normal maintenance issue, it was not preexisting and it is within the dwelling of my house. To automatically say it's not normal wear and tear after it has been working fine assumes a lot of the aforementioned things are false and that it is not possible for a compressor to go bad. I appeal the desicion to repair or replace my compressor for the reasons mentioned above. I was told that if I had any questions call. I called and I spoke with Shapirah who got a slight attitude seemingly for even appealing. She told me that eventhough the compressor was working the conditions causing the compressor to short to ground were preexisting therefore the whole claim was denied as preexisting. Basically what ever breaks is due to something else causing it so it's preexisting. Also I have twin units and the other one is working fine. The technician replaced starter relays on both units. This is another example of wear and tear which could cause the compressor to short to ground.
Impression I got was as long as its not too expensive you're covered (this was not said but the starter relays were covered). The reason I purchased the home warranty was for the expensive stuff. I will post the chain letter for honesty and full disclosure for my poor review.
"This letter is in reference to your Air Conditioning claim. We have been processing your claim for coverage and a determination has been reached.

During the coverage period, our sole responsibility will be to arrange for a qualified service contractor to repair or replace, at our expense, the systems and components mentioned as "Included" in accordance with the terms and conditions of your contract so long as such systems and components:

Are located inside the confines of the main foundation of the home or attached or detached garage (with the exception of the exterior pool/spa, well pump, septic tank pumping and air conditioner);and
Become inoperative due to normal wear and tear; and
Are in place and in proper working order on the effective date of this home warranty contract. This contract does not cover any known or unknown pre-existing conditions. Coverage is for occupied, owned or rented residential property.

Your claim was submitted on 05/15/18 and was assigned to EASY BREEZY HEATING & COOLING LLC on 05/15/18. On 05/16/18 the technician submitted details pertaining to your system failure.

It has been determined the compressor is shorted to ground. This specific breakdown of the compressor is caused by high temperatures in the windings or discharge area. The excessive heat breaks down the motor winding insulation causing a loss of electrical resistance which results in the windings breaking and touching the inner casing of the compressor. This action will cause the short. Condensers are built to cool the refrigerant through the condenser coil when the fan pulls the air up and through, as the outdoor ambient air is cooler than the operating temperature of the refrigerant. When the refrigerant cools, this will lubricate the compressor and cool the windings.
Causes of the compressor shorting to ground are: 1. Dirty or impacted condenser coils will restrict the airflow and inhibits the necessary cooling down of the compressor and refrigerant; or 2. A power spike or surge will cause direct voltage to the compressor and short the windings instantly. This may also occur due to insufficient electrical charge causing high amp draws on the compressor. ; or 3. Foreign contaminants such as acid from an improper previous compressor repair or replacement OR non-condensables such as moisture, braze residue, or debris from gauge hook ups entering the sealed refrigerant system will also cause this compressor failure. The contaminants in the line are not able to be properly compressed with the gas or mix properly with the oil in the compressor, causing a separation and loss of lubricant for the windings causing the overheating and shorting.
The Air Conditioner is not designed to handle the aforementioned causes which are not standard in normal operating conditions, thus resulting in the catastrophic failure of the shorted to ground compressor.

Please refer to your terms and conditions section A number 2; which require the system became inoperative due to normal wear and tear."

Appeal Rights

You may request a review of this claim in writing by visiting https://www.choicehomewarranty.com/cads/claimreview.php?ccid=ss7WWbs0uutDTF0zsJORdR3JS-v7sDNC1CMOC66SBu8. The request for review must be sent within 7 days of receipt of this letter and state the reasons why you feel your claim should have been approved.

Under normal circumstances, you will be notified of the final decision within 5 business days of the date your request for review is received.

Nothing contained in this letter should be construed as a waiver of any rights or defenses under the policy. This determination has been made in good faith and without prejudice under the terms and conditions of the contract, whether or not specifically mentioned herein.

Thank you for choosing Choice Home Warranty to be part of protecting your home from unexpected covered repairs.

Sincerely,

Team CHW

• Ki
    Kirk Williams Aug 02, 2018

I have had the same exact experience. We had a warranty on the units for the previous year with another company as well. The case manager even refused to let me speak with her manager and claimed that she singularly had all the authority. I will be sending a letter to:

1090 King George's Post Rd.
    Building D
    Edision, New Jersey 08837

The unit was just serviced by a licensed HVAC company less then 30 days before their coverage started and is was running fine. I will also report to the BBB and contact my attorney as they are in break of contract.

marietribanas Aug 15, 2018

I submitted a claim on 8/14/18 #69586191 for my hot water heater. They sent me a note stating that replacement of my water heater is not covered. I called Dependable Service and they replaced a 50 gal. heater on 8/15/81. The cost was $1, 528.38. I called HCW to see if they would at least cover half of this. They would not. I asked if they would at least cover the labor costs & the service call, again the answer was NO! I am very disappointed in that they cover all repairs but if something needs to be replaced, they will not cover labor!!! I feel that this is not a customer friendly company and when my contract is up, I will be looking for a company that will cover replacement costs. I've been told by all the technicians that have come to my home, that HCW is the worse and I believe them. I have been a customer of them for many years. They are always friendly when it's time for renewal but it seams that they are not the best company to go with. ALTHOUGH THE HOT WATER HEATER IS COVERED FOR REPAIRS BUT NOT REPLACEMENT THEY SHOULD PAY FOR THE LABOR AND SERVICE CALL. Marie Tribanas

• Kr
    KristiSkater Jun 18, 2019

I just got the same exact letter denying my claim. The technician apparently said the compressor was "open". I haven't seen what he submitted - they won't send it to me. They determined it was catastrophic compressor failure so they could conclude it was not normal wear and tear. The technician's description does not meet the definition of catastrophic compressor failure. She also tried telling me the unit was 7 years old. This unit is 11 years old. Oh, and, I received the denial in less than 10 minutes after the technician submitted the diagnosis. He hadn't even left my house yet. I will be filing a claim with the MIA.