[Resolved] Cheapoair / refund fee

I booked 3 airline tickets on CheapOair and had just hit the "Book" button when my phone rang and it was a representative from the company calling me to get me to select my preferred seats. I told him I was thinking about it and would possibly book later. He continued trying to talk me into going ahead and selecting my seats. He told me numerous times that "everybody" does it. I repeatedly told him that I would do it later after thinking about it. He kept saying, "I don't know why you would wait. Everybody does it. Why would you not pick your seats now?" I finally asked him if there was a charge for me selecting my own seats. He, of course, said, "Yes". I informed him once again that I was not interested in doing it quite yet, but that I would do it later. He said, "I really don't understand what you are waiting for. Why would you not go ahead and do it now? Everybody does it. I would be the only one NOT doing it." I got tired of repeating myself and I could not get a word in while he continued telling me how I was the ONLY one not selecting my own seats, so I finally just hung up.
I felt like I had been bullied and backed into a corner and felt that if this company had representatives calling customers and harassing them like he did me, I didn't feel comfortable flying with them. After several hours, I called the company to cancel the tickets and told the representative what had happened and all he was willing to do was credit me for the "Select Your Seat" charge $28.00). I told him I was not interested and I wanted to just cancel the tickets. THEN he told me I would owe $50.00 per ticket to cancel because they were a travel agency with their own fees. I told him I was aware of the 24 hour reservation requirement as mandated by the Department of Transportation's consumer rule "Enhancing AirlinePassenger Protection". This law protects consumers and requires carriers to hold a reservation at the quoted fare for 24 hours without payment and allows a reservation to be cancelled within 24 hours without penalty. He argued with me for over 5 minutes restating that CheapOair charges a fee on top of the airline fee and their fee is not refundable.
This company does not respect the consumer and evidently cares nothing about working with their customers. It is against the law for them to pull these types of tricks.

• Resolution statement

• CheapOair Customer Care's Response, May 31, 2019

Please provide the 8 digit booking number.

Rg