Champion Windowssun room leaks

R

We purchased a 12'x30'x6" sun room from Champion in May of 2014. Customer #12144. I do not feel that we were scammed, we were perfectly happy with the salesman. We are ok with the product. Our issue is with the installation and our inability to get resolution. With the first rain we had water leaking into the inside of the sun room and it has continued with every rain since. We have complained and they have sent out the original installer several times and he has done a lot of cosmetic things (putting in more and more caulk) but has not fixed the problem. We worked with the service manager and he came out and identified a few problems with one corner and it got better but the 30' section of wall continued to leak. I have lost count of the number of trips they have made but the last several have been working with the branch manager. They have added flashing on all 3 walls (covering places that you could see light through) replaced 1 transom window that was cut too small and the installer said he had replaced, and on this last trip completely removed two sections of windows with the transoms above, caulked where it should have been done during the original installation, and reinstalled everything. Two days later we water tested it again (they didn't come out to follow up) and it is leaking worse and in more places than it was before.

All I have wanted from the beginning is for the leaks to be fixed. I have tried to work with the local office. I have lodged a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I have tried to email their corporate office but can only find a "Contact Us" that goes back to the local office to request a quote. Champion Corporate has pretty well isolated itself from feedback from customers. I was able to call corporate customer service twice but they did not return either call. I don't know if they don't care about getting it fixed (it has to be costing them a lot in return labor and even more in bad advertising) or are unable to fix it. I would like to keep it but I am ready to tell them to take it out and give me a refund if they can't fix it. We have been dealing with this for 16 months. As of 10/21/15 this issue has not been resolved.

• Po
    polydeck Feb 25, 2016

Thank you for your suggestion Randy. I have had several other problems with their sunroom including windows loosing the seal and a leaking sky light. I was hoping to find someone who was having problems with this polydeck. If you had polydeck and your room was leaking like you show in the pictures, then you would be having the same problem as I have. It makes me wonder if that is what is causing my polydeck to disintegrate. It upsets me that the service manager came here with his mind already made up that I was causing the problem. He never even considered that it might be their fault. I will try to reach the regional office as you suggested. I just wish there was another option for repairing the polydeck instead of having to take this room apart again. It's very expensive and also really inconvenient because I have to empty the whole room to do the work. It's a big job for one person to move furniture. Again, thanks for your suggestion.

• Ra
    Randy Wright Feb 24, 2016

We finally went over the head of our District Manager to the Regional Manager out of Denver. He made a trip out to Utah on the Thanksgiving Day weekend. Since then there is now a new District Manager in Salt Lake City (not saying there is a direct correlation) and the new manager has been out to meet with us. We have a plan in place and hopefully we will have resolution soon. Call your local office and get the number of the next level and push it further up the food chain. Working for us. Good luck.

• Po
    polydeck Feb 24, 2016

I was convinced by the sales representative to add on the polydeck insulation to the floor of my sunroom. Four years ago I found out that if the polydeck gets wet it melts resulting in extreme repairs, including disassembling 2 of the 3 walls and replacing the polydeck. Champion blamed the problem on their electrician mounting a light fixture on the outside wall of the room. Now I notice that the opposite corner of the sunroom is also getting soft. The service manager came out to look at it and he insists that it is my fault because I keep house plants in the porch all year long. Mind you, the sunroom was built in 2006 and I have kept house plants in it for these past 10 years. It is ludicrous that this company refuses to take responsibility for selling a poorly chosen material in the construction of these rooms. I am at my wits end and facing a very expensive repair and major inconvenience again. I am open for suggestions on how to avoid this in the future. I would not only give Champion a very bad reference but I would also tell other people they would be making a grave mistake to do business with a company that does not take responsibility for problems which could have been avoided with just a small amount of product testing.