Having problems with Capital One?

1800 481 3239 (USA and Canada)
+1 877 383 4802 (General Customer Service)
+1 800 227 4825 (Credit Card Accounts)
+1 800 867 0904 (Small Business Banking Products)
+1 888 810 4013 (Capital One Bank Products)
+1 800 289 1992 (Capital One 360 Products)
+1 800 946 0332 (Auto Financing)
+1 877 464 2151 (Home Loans)
+1 866 435 6299 (Home Equity)
+1 800 926 1000 (Personal Loan)
+1 855 780 5047 (Investing Products)
+44 800 952 5267 (United Kingdom)
+44 344 481 4814 (United Kingdom)
15000 Capital One Dr.

Sending a Cheque
P.O. Box 1000, Camberley, GU15 3ZQ

Complaints & Reviews

credit card billing

For the past two months Capital One has NOT sent us a billing statement on our credit cards...we've had these cards for several years and have never been late last month I caught it and paid by phone this month it got past me..and I didnt realize I had'nt paid until it was late...I don't know what's going on...I'm asking them to remove any negative statements from my accts if they don't I can live with out their Credit cards...anybody else experiencing this... not recieving your statements? Thanks

• Tk
    tkkmasky Oct 02, 2010

My bill has been coming two days before the due date...I've had to rush and pay online to avoid the late fee.

charges on my credit card

The protection play from capital, made two unauthorized charges on my credit card. I pay 10 dollars a month for that plan, and when I lost my job on 2009 then help me pay the penments till I got a new job it was arount 300 dollars but when I started pay my account again the charge me every single panny yhe had put on my account.

capital one auto finance

I have received numerous calls from Capital One Auto Finance since June, 2010 (I'm writing this August 4, 2010). They call my home beginning around 8:00 a.m. until late in the evening. They are looking for a person who I've never heard of and who does not live at my home. This person has the same last name as I do, which is a very common last name as common as Smith or Jones. I've told them several times that the person they are looking for does not live here so take my phone number off of their list. Of course, they continue to call! I've never had an account with Capital One or Capital One Auto Finance (and I never will)! What's ridiculous is that they're never going to get a dime from the person they're looking for because they're not calling him, they're calling me and they're certainly not going to get a dime from me!! I'm taking photos of the calls as they come in and recording all of their messages so that when I have enough to prove harrassment, I'll turn all the info over to an Attorney. Keep the calls coming Capital One Auto Finance!!

• Na
    Nancy Lewis May 22, 2011

It's time to call an attorney. Read my complaint on COAF of today. I am suing in federal court and I'm going to win. So will you on the basis of bad faith and unfair dealing. Nancy Lewis

scam

I received a "congratulations for coming out of bankruptcy" offer from Capital One in the mail. Pre-approved, no fees, etc. I had not applied for any kind of credit card in 5 years, and thought, ok maybe this is a good time to get one and begin to establish payment history again. The day I activated the card I was told I had $300 for credit and/or cash - both of which were available immediately. I went to a movie and charged $16.o0. The next day I was making a purchase for which they'd only accept cash (ok...a new kitten), when I tried withdrawing $125.00 from the card, I was denied several times. So I called and was told that the card was suspended due to potential fradulent activity. How so? I used it once for a whopping $16.oo charge. Well...you're trying to withdraw cash and that's a red flag. It would've been nice if someone had told me that. So now in order to get the suspension removed, they want my driver's license, pay stubs, bank statement, proof of residence (copy of a bill). I told them this felt a lot like a scam - they give me a card w/o any proof of income, etc., and suspend it right after the first charge then demand all this information so they can turn around and screw me. The woman I talked to was a total ###. I told her that I'd just paid the balance - which included an annual fee that I was not supposed to be charged - if I was a fraud, why would I pay it? It's all explained in the letter, she said. What letter? I never received a letter. Oh, I'll fax it to you - so she put me on hold for 5 minutes and then said it'd be faxed in 5 business days (what a joke). So, I said, what if I choose not to send you this "proof" you want? We'll close your account. Meaning, I now have a negative mark on a credit report I am trying to fix. Extortion? This is so so so very wrong. The entire credit industry is a massive fraud - how can three frickin agencies who know nothing about a person collect random data used to slap a number on you that then determines if you can buy a house, or a car, or get a job., or what rate you'll pay for insurance (gotta love that - you are not extending me credit, and yet you use my credit to determine my rates). And god forbid if you try to correct any of the "data" they have on you. It is criminal and I wonder if anyone will ever put a stop to it. I'm going back to my cash existence.

• Go
    Gordon Mar 11, 2009

Today I received a notice from Capital One stating that they are raising my APR from 4.40% to 29.4%. I have NEVER been late making a payment, and have always paid MORE than the minimum due when possible. Some way to treat their loyal customers. Why should people that are customers in good standing have to get stuck with a higher APR because Capital One are greedy ###? And plus the way that its send out, it almost looks like junk mail, and I am sure some people are not reading it and throwing it away. I called to cancel my card after receiving this ridiculous notice and did not speak to one person. All automated. Pretty bad when you gotta make that an option. I will NEVER get another capital one card again. I am done.

• Ad
    A. Davis Mar 21, 2009

If you had spoken to someone using the number on the back of your card and pressed zero, you would have better understood your change in terms. That one sounds like a default rate increase. You only get a default rate vs a regular apr if your are past due 2 times in 12 months. If that was just a default rate increase as I suspect it is, then you had nothing to worry about. You would have kept your low apr and only gone to the higher one if you defaulted on your card (past due 2 times in 12 months). If you have already opted out, typically that is non reversible. In the future, if you get a letter like that, before you get upset call the regular customer service line and someone will explain it in truthful, correct and easy launguage that makes the change easier to understand. If you want to opt out after that, fine, but atleast you made the decision to opt out logically vs emotionally.

• Iv
    Ivo Jul 15, 2010

I have had an automobile loan with Capital one for several years. Since the beginning of the loan I have been trying to get my payment date changed from the 12th to the 20th. I am a teacher in the state of Oklahoma and get paid once a month. Capital one has refused to change the payment due date and as of today I owe over $500 in late fees.

I fell behind in my car payment and was contacted by Capital one in late June and was told that I had to pay $903.00 within 5 days or the automobile would be repossessed. I sent the payment and spoke with a hispanic sounding gentleman in the repossession department. I explained to him for the 100th time that I needed to get my payment due date changed to the 20th of the month. He told me that as long as I made a payment by the 12th of July they would defer my past due payment to the end of my loan which would bring my account current and he would change my due date at that time. I sent Capital One an online payment on June 12, 2010. I called today to find out about the deferment and was told by someone named Teresa that I could not have the deferment unless I sent another $458.00!!

I have gone round and round with this company for years trying to get this whole mess straightened out. I have done exactly what they have asked me to do in regards to making up the required past due payment and the continue to renig on what they have told me they would do as far as getting the payment due date changed. I am at my wits end and if this doesn't get resolved to my complete satisfaction by the 25th of July I will have no choice but to take action against the company.

• Da
    Dave242 Aug 11, 2010

I don't agree with Capital One's process that you're mentioning, but perhaps this information will be useful to you:

When you apply for the one, Capital One evaluates your credit and makes judgment on whether or nor to extend credit to you. When you get the card, your transactions are monitored. Red flags are raised when patterns of activity suggest potential account fraud or identity theft. If someone does manage to steal your identity, they won't try and establish an excellent history on your behalf, they will try and max out any credit available to them, so if the monitoring program considers the transaction suspicious the card would become locked down. No-one you would have spoken to when activating or applying for the card would have foreknowledge of you having to go through the process. The only way they will release the hold on the card is by you verifying the information supplied on your original credit application. The people you speak to on the phone have no capability to release the hold and if they attempt to do so they face disciplinary procedures and potential termination.

There is only one team that actually reviews the documents sent in and you cannot speak to them over the phone, as they are not customer facing. They simply review the imaged documents and remove suspensions or send letters explaining what information is missing. It's an inconvenient process from start to finish. I would rather see Capital One ask for these documents prior to opening accounts but the manpower required to do that would be immense and it would slow down an already slow application process. The process does prevent fraud and so it is not entirely a waste but the implementation does leave something to be desired.

• Oh
    OH NO, REALLY! Oct 11, 2013

You are absolutely correct. I worked in the loan industry in the early 80's. At that time we would take a credit application, call the employer, run the credit, talk, (yes talk) to the applicant regarding any late payments, etc. Loans were done in person (really) and character mattered. Then suddenly we had a new boss (I worked at a Credit Union), anyway, this new boss was really big on this new way of telling if a person would pay back their loan; and golly gee, it was this thing called FICO. I wouldn't use it, I somehow felt the "old" way was better. Try to understand what was the problem if something stood out on the credit report. People got to know their banker. It's how business was done.

This new thing back in the 80's, this Number thing, well it was the FICO. You got points for how long you were on the job, own/rent, got more points if MC over Visa. I never could understand that one. In fact I often said it reduced to a very impersonal way of doing business and not giving people a chance. Nonsense! I was told.

Today the only thing that matters is your FICO score and life be damned. Here is the funny part. A few years ago a poor FICO score was something like 450/500, that was poor. Good was somewhere around 500/600. Well, here's the funny part, today, poor is somewhere around 550/600.

I've said for years it is designed to keep the middle class down. Life happens. I can't count the times that if I had used this new thing FICO back when I did loans; well most likely half the people wouldn't have gotten a loan. Yet all loans were paid on time (thank you payroll deduction), but even those who had left employment, still mailed their payments in on time.

What sense does it make to stick someone with a higher interest rate because they had some bad luck? So their FICO score is bad. Which given how that number seems to change with the tides; YOU may have a good FICO today, but tomorrow...you can't be to sure.

You can look at the whole picture when it's a real person doing the looking. Not some computer, spiting out numbers.

Does this FICO score system need to be fixed? Yes. Is it designed to keep the middle class down? I believe so. The system can be fixed. There is nothing wrong with using the FICO score as a tool; as one part of the picture. To help confirm what the "person to person", reviewing the credit application and looking at the credit history line by line. Do that, take the score into consideration, talk with the client and bam! You can make a very good decision. I knew I never had a loan go bad! Never.

ruined my credit

Capital One auto has ruined my credit!!! I have tried tooth and nail to protect my credit to the best of my ability with all my accounts. As of now I have not been late with anything for over 7 years, so I have relatively good credit. I refinanced my loan with Capital One Auto in early 2008; I went a few days past my due date.

I called Capital One and they wanted to charge me a convenience fee of $15 for paying over the phone. I opted out and decided to go online because the represented told it was free of charge. I went through this entire process to get registered into the online system and sent my payment online. It comes to my attention the next month invoice shows I owe 2 months. I immediately called Capital One to resolve this misunderstanding. Apparently the information I put into the system was incorrect therefore the payment never went through and now I am late 30 Days. I spoke with supervisor and several other representatives they all pretty much gave me the same spiel that it was not a bank error. This was 2 years ago; I have tried diligently to dispute this item with the bureaus but to no avail. Capital One insist the item was correct and they I am 30 days late.

About 2 years later they come up with another late!!! Ok I have to admit for the last year I have fallen behind on my payments but I have never exceeded more than 30days, because at this point my credit would not be affected. I applied for forbearance for my July's payment, which I sent in mid July. They have confirmation of receiving it their form plus the $35 Dollar processing fee, but the application is apparently is still pending. I got a texted on August 2, 2010 please call Capital One, so I immediately did. The representative said that my request was still pending and I am now late 32 Days!!! I was irate to say the least and she said I will have my manager call you tomorrow. I called back and got the run around... Finally, a supervisor called me back and apparently the forbearance is curtsey and the fact remains that I am effectively 32 Days late... Well I still process your forbearance but I can not remove the 30 Day late on your credit because it is not a bank failure!!!

I think this company is full of! $%&^ and they are ###. I feel they purposely ruined my credit so that I remain their client. Preventing me from seeking credit elsewhere!!!

• Lu
    LULULEE Mar 26, 2011

THEY ARE THIEVES! NONE OF THEM SPEAK ENGLISH AND CHARGE INTEREST UP THE ###! THEY RUINED MY CREDIT BECAUSE OF THE STUPID MISTAKES THEY MADE THEMSELVES! CHECK THIS I CLOSED MY ACCOUNT AND THEY STILL SEND ME STATEMENTS SAYING I OWE THEM FOR HAVING THE ACCOUNT OPEN, UMM NOPE NOT PAYING SORRY I PAID THE TOTAL AMOUNT DUE... SCUMS, DONT EVER GET A CREDIT CARD WITH THEM

rude customer service

Capital One needs help training their customer service representatives! My husband and I are consolidating credit card accounts. We each elected to close one personal credit card each. I chose my Capital One card because it has the highest interest rate although it is my most seasoned account; mainly because they refused to lower the rate to beat the other two cards I currently hold. Upon paying off the entire balance and calling to request the account be closed, I was given quite the sales pitch about this being a bad idea. The kid basically gave me a lecture on banking. I interrupted him, nicely, to let him know the decision had already been made and I already understood the principles of closing seasoned accounts and still wanted to close this account. He then rattled off the policies about closing accounts and hung up on me. After being a card holder for 8 years and always paying each bill on time, I still got the boot in the butt on the way out the door. What's in my wallet? A credit card from the nice folks at my local Credit Union. Screw Capital One.

• Re
    Renee777 Aug 21, 2007

In an attempt to use Capital One miles rewards I contacted Capital One prior to making my airline purchase. I was delightfully surprised and exited when the customer service representative checked my mileage availability and advised that I have more than enough miles to make the purchase. After the purchase appeared on my credit card, I contacted Capital One to redeem my miles. At that point the customer service representative told me I don’t have enough miles for that purchase. With my attempt to get information on who gave me the wrong advise I was transferred to a supervisor named Careth. She bluntly told me that maybe I heard what I wanted to hear when I was originally calling before my purchase. No wonder Capital One has such bad customer service rep. Needless to say I will be closing my accounts with Capital One.

online banking

I do mostly online banking for bill payment. on 07/13/2010 I posted 4 bills . I got the confirmation as i always
get. but next bill I was surprised to see the late fee on those bill that I sent . I rushed to my bank to solve the issue.
they couldn't help me...just apologized ...that's all..
I think this free checking bank it crap... I should take my business elsewhere...

email scam

I have gotten a lot of spam e-mail in my life, and I understand this is part of having e-mail. But it seems that Orchard Bank Credit Card has found a way to send e-mails from a ton of different servers, so no matter how many you "unsuscribe" from they just keep coming!!! I personally have "unsuscribed" approximately 5 times, and I just got two more today! It's driving me insane because I want to find the person to yell at but it's such a large company I don't even know where to start! Can I add that this is credit card spam and I am in the middle of a bankruptcy.

• Mo
    Monica L Dec 11, 2010

I am a tech for my local library with a degree in information technology. I tell you from a professional standpoint to never click "unsubscribe" on spam emails. Your e-mail address has likely been redistributed each time you click "unsubscribe." Just mark as spam and let your inbox learn. Eventually all your spam will go only to your spam folder and you'll never have to see it again.

Manuelsv Mar 30, 2011

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH ORCHARD BANK. DO NOT REWARD THEIR JUNK-MAIL CAMPAIGN BY GIVING THEM BUSINESS!!! I have tried to block them in every conceivable way and they still spam the heck out of me 3-4 times a day!! I hate these ba$$tards!
    WILL NEVER DO Business WITH KNOWN SPAMMERS In my book they are no different than the skim of the earth peddling Viagra and replica junk watches!

• Ru
    russbroker Jul 28, 2011

I completely agree. I cannot imagine how the senior management of Orchard Bank, which appears to be a real financial institution, lives with him/her self. May as well advertise on the Jerry Springer show. I would gleefully set fire to the entire server farm pushing this ###. Yes, they win, as the most well known spammer. Congratulations. If you do garner customers from this spam, you have the stupidest customer base of all time!!

Sara Lake Nov 28, 2011

What I don't understand is why there isn't a way to report the companies that participate in this repetitive spam, i.e. Orchard Bank, University of Phoenix, and any other company that uses some spammer to distribute their spam. They know it is wrong when they sign up with these spammers. I personally will NEVER do business with any company that sends me spam. Orchard Bank and some of these other companies should be fined. Hit them in the pocket book since that is the only language they understand.

vehicle loan never paid down after auction

I took out a $20, 000 loan from capital one and had the brand new vehicle for two months. I had too go to...

harrasment

I, ve benn a customer of Capital one since 2004 and have not missed a payment in 22 months but the problem that I have with Capital one Auto Finance is that my due date is on the 1st of the month but my payment had changed for 3rd of the month and Capital One Auto finance will not change my due date and they have ran up all the fees and keep giving harrasing phone calls and the treat of reposes the car and all they have to do is change the due date. So why would Capital One Auto Finance cause all these problems when they have a customer that has paid for 22 months without missing a payment.This is a bad business pratice and I will tell every-ne not to do business with them because they are not fair!!

• Gw
    gworth Jul 17, 2010

Can you give more details? Sounds like the complaint I posted about another company, They changed the date to the end of the month and the next day is when they do a statement for the following month, so it was a big mess cause the idiot handling the payments kept screwing up or taking the payments on the side for himself.

refusal to release funds available

After having a Capital One Card for years, I paid it off completely in March, 2010. After just several small...

no invoices

I have not received an invoice from Capital One since I have been in Credit Solutions. Since it is a holiday I will be contacting them Tuesday or when I return from my reunion. ou have filed a suit and I would like this settled out of court. I have NEVER had a credit card that you sent a picture of with a cat, tiger or whatever it is. I have lost my husband (no life insurance) son in AACDC awaiting transfter to drug rehab, was laid off form my job on 5-28 after 17 years because of the dealth of a partner (MD office) and would like to get this settled. Do not want to go to court as I have been through more than enough in last couple years.

scam

Ironically, while they are permitted to cause financial harm, fees piling up, and report credit delinquencies, or even take away cars that have not been paid on time... I have no recourse available to me immediately.

Does anyone have a word or two of advice?

• Na
    Nancy Lewis May 22, 2011

You won't get your title. They said they lost mine, then repossessed the car from the tow lot because it was unregistered. Then they sold it at auction for more than they reported to me when they demanded nearly $25, 000 deficiency balance. Sue them. Get a lawyer or file it in federal court yourself. I did, and I'm going to win, big time. Bad faith and unfair dealing. But you could probably file it as fraud.

they approved our car loan and denied it 2 weeks later..

We got approved all paper work is signed and turned in because of a address conflict we had to resubmit paper work with our military address and now they denied it cause we will be living on post mind you my husband is military is this legal??? I am at my witts end with these people and they cant seem to give me a honest answer why we were denied I have had enough... I am trying to find out if this is legal for them to do once the paper work was done we made our down payment and everything went through can the y go back on something like this... I though once it was done and you signed everything then that was it

credit card fraud

I have read about Capitol One's Credit card customer complaints and they all have the same problem with them as I do.
It 's nearly impossible to get out from under their contract "this is a warning to anyone "this is their general practice" and you also will have your credit messed up due to they will immediately turn your name into the BBB if they cannot continue to get your money...I asked..I begged them over the phone to tell me the sum and it would be mailed and was promised to be let off their hook...I sent $224.00 to end the nightmare..still received a bill, again..called them, they informed me that Interest had incurred while the 3 days evolved before they received the money order and I owed them $3.36 cents...I told them I was going to send them $20.00 to cover interest once again and to keep the change...By the way, has anyone that got screwed over by this company noticed that they hire people that have a middle eastern voice that it's nearly impossible to translate what they are saying?
Jibber-Jabber..double talk at it's best...Nothing against those people but this is america and they should at least have people that can relate-convey messages which is called customer service... you actually leave the phone thinking" that was a worthless call..also knowing Capitol one hand picks those people therefore it's the customers fault for not understanding Omar..
I'm 61.. 100% disabled Viet nam vet ..Capitol One is something the hard working American needs rid of ..we work -fight hard for our money..this is like taking from my kids and Capitol one or any company with their practices should be shut down..especilly with tens of thousands of valid simular complaints as I have grown to know.
They have nerve to screw up your credit through the BBB, I am finished paying them...I never used the card but paid the monthly bill required, It was to help me get a better credit standing but turned around to bite me...They are proof positive that they care less about a persons credit..they also know it's not the customers fault...they will eventually be investigated ...I will not give up until everyone concerned has heard this story..they cost me over $550.00 and a bad credit rating so therefore they will be exposed to every source that I can summons and contact...I know the County Att. personally, this will get the ball rolling on these people..RB

• Re
    Reviewer37596 Jan 13, 2016

I was charged 250.00 for a Capitol One credit card I never had. Capitol One sent a letter deeming this credit card fraudulent. They have not refunded my money after numerous attempts, and requested paperwork faxed. The money was withdrawn from my wife's account. They state they will not refund the money because my name is not on that account. Case number 1000216888165 Aug 18, 2015

breech of security

I had joined a health club (melaleuca) which is another story I posted on here a while, ...ppsssttttt stay away from that one as well. Anyway I told Capital One I didn't want melaleuca chaging my account. Capital One said they couldn't stop it. They advised me to cancel the credit card and get issued a new card and number and that would prevent any further transactions from Melaeuca. Four weeks later a charge showed on my card and Capital One had authorized a chargwe from Melalauca on my account. CAPITAL ONE ALLOWED THIS, ..WHY!?

I talked to four diffrent repersentives who either had no clue or couldn't give ma solid answer. So for Capital Ones lack of incompetence I have paid the bill in full and canceled the account. I have opened a new account with another credit company.

Til' the day I die I will always warn others of Capital One's lack of customer service and finacial security to its account holders.

• Tr
    Truth Teller Aug 25, 2010

I'm not the worlds biggest Capital One fan myself, but you entered into a revolving legal agreement with Melaleuca asking them to send you products if you didn't order any in a given month. Its really just that simple.

You blame Melaleuca on your other thread and on here you blame Capital One, but if the real truth was made known, you entered into a legal agreement with Melaleuca to spend so much money each month on their products. You then did not honor that agreement so to see you complain about it on here is a dodge of personal responsibility.

In the furture, read before you sign. Understand what you are doing before you do it. Take personal responsibility for your own actions. Its not Melaleuca or Capital One that are a problem in your case. It's just you not being willing to own up to the agreement you entered into with Melaleuca.

All the best,

creates loopholes for scam artists

I fell victim to a fraud/scam using my capitol one card in the amount of over $15, 000.00. Part of the scam...

still no title sign off after 2 months of pay-off

I paid my car loan off April 2, 2010. Today is May 15, 2010. I have yet to receive my title. I need to sell my car and can't. I lost buyers twice because I can't deliver the title...

Ironically, while they are permitted to cause financial harm to consumers, fees piling up, interest rates raised and other fees extorted, and reporting credit delinquencies, or even take away cars that have not been paid on time... I have no recourse available to me immediately. I can sue, and so help me the world and God, I will!

I extended a loss of $ 4500, because I was unable to sell the car, due to the missing title sign off.

• 123VitaLLC May 18, 2010

follow up. I called capital one auto finance today. they said they sent my title to me on april 22 2010. I never received it though and this company was unable to provide proof that they sent it. I response to my question why they would send such an important document by regular mail, they said that i had not specifically asked for it...

what is wrong with this picture?

• Te
    Terrell Methvin Jun 29, 2010

I paid my car off 6-11-2010 with a cashiers check. Capitol One sends my title to the company that I bought the cashiers check from. Now eleven days later and multiple phone calls they are overnighting me a release of title. I don't know if I am able to salvage the sale of my truck. If I can't then I feel that Capitol One owes both of us. Would be nice if an attorney would pick this up as a class action.

• 123VitaLLC Jun 29, 2010

i have to add that I finally received a lean release from Capital One. That was like 10 weeks after payoff.

unprofessional

I entered into a car loan with Capitol One about 3 years ago... since that time, my income has dropped to 30 percent of what it was when I bought the car. I kept up with my payments up until a few months ago, when I tried to refinance, and the refinancing was denied by other companies because Capitol One had reported my payments late, twice, when I had never been late. Since the time that the refinancing was denied, I fell behind a few months, but I called Capital One, and I was on the phone with them for about 2 hours, extending my loan, and the guy I spoke with told me that my account, from now on, would be reported paid, up-to-date, if only I would enroll my bank account and routing number for automatic bank drafts. Well, they've been drafting my payments, all right-- but they haven't reported any of my payments and have on file, ON MY CREDIT REPORT, they say that I haven't made payments, at ALL, in months. How do I stop these drafts?? Change my bank account?? It seems like now I am powerless over my credit, my money, and what I want to do with the car. I am totally over trying to make the payments, since my credit is going to *** (due to Capital One's faulty reporting) --- I am thisclose to dropping the car off to them and saying screw it. The damage has already been done. Ugh. Not to mention that, whenever I call them, I can't speak to a supervisor who can answer any questions.

This seems completely unprofessional...

assessing fraudulent nsf fees

Capital One processes transactions in a way to collect more NSF fees. Yesterday afternoon I checked my balance at 4 PM and had $205 balance. I made two transactions around 5:30 PM--one for appr. $27 and one for appr. $56. I checked my balance afterwards and the new balance reflected the latest transactions, around $122.00. At or around midnight that night a direct deposit of over $1000 went in. The next morning I checked my account and it showed NSF fees for the two transactions from the day before (even though my account was actually positive due to the direct deposit), and showed two checks posting beforehand in the amounts of $90.00 and $124.00 (which had not been there the evening before). I don't understand how they are able to go back and change the order of the transactions after the banks have closed. When I cash a check it post to my account immediately and the new balance is reflected online. However, these two checks were processed later, but adjusted so that my account was overdrawn before the smaller transactions, resulting in 3 NSF charges of $35 each when, if posted in their accurate order, I would have only been assessed one NSF charge of $35.00. Isn't this illegal?? I called customer service and she tried telling me that the checks are some times processed later depending on the time the check is received. Wouldn't this verify that they fraudulently arranged the order of transactions to collect more NSF fees?

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices